PDA

View Full Version : problem pad

Pages : [1] 2

BenSRT
09-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi,
I wanted to know if my pad is still good.look of center of pad is hollow and it is soft a bit.I think I waited too long to change the pad was saturated with wax?

What do you think?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x209/Dodge30/photos229.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x209/Dodge30/photos231.jpg

Fly bye
09-12-2010, 10:59 PM
If the velcro is still glued to the foam, the foam is not torn, shredded, or is missing chunks, I wouldn't trip. Keep running it, (after you wash it first that is).

:buffing:

BenSRT
09-13-2010, 07:29 AM
The surface is not broken it just hollow Of The center and has little soft compared to the rest of pad.the Velcro is broken just a place a little.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x209/Dodge30/photos234.jpg

Mike Phillips
09-13-2010, 08:02 AM
That's called wear-n-tear... it's normal, pads don't stay looking like they are brand new after you use them.

Normally your wax pads shouldn't become saturated with wax unless you're using a one-step cleaner wax over an entire car.

If you're applying a finishing wax then cut down on the amount of wax you're using.

What speed are you running the polisher?

:)

BenSRT
09-13-2010, 08:53 AM
I do as you suggested me, I did a One Step / cleaner with M06 and a polishing pad.I running my PC has 6 speed and I make 4 passes by section with a very light pressure. I think I too Waited Before changing pad to a fresh clean pad.

This is the I make:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/28674-my-second-detail-job.html#post354432

RaskyR1
09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I do as you suggested me, I did a One Step / cleaner with M06 and a polishing pad.I running my PC has 6 speed and I make 4 passes by section with a very light pressure. I think I too Waited Before changing pad to a fresh clean pad.

This is the I make:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/28674-my-second-detail-job.html#post354432

Yep

I've seen this happen to others and even myself on one occasion. Over saturation and excess heat seem to be the root cause. I'd suggest changing you pads more often to avoid this from happening. The foam in the center seems to break down from the heat and IMO the pads are shot at this point. I will typically use 4 pads per product step on an average sized car. ;)

Rasky

BenSRT
09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Yep

I've seen this happen to others and even myself on one occasion. Over saturation and excess heat seem to be the root cause. I'd suggest changing you pads more often to avoid this from happening. The foam in the center seems to break down from the heat and IMO the pads are shot at this point. I will typically use 4 pads per product step on an average sized car. ;)

Rasky

we learn from our mistakes! you think the pad are destroyed?

RaskyR1
09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
we learn from our mistakes! you think the pad are destroyed?

The pad I have which caved in like yours is no longer flat when placed on the paint, so at that point I do not feel it should be used any longer. Not sure if you will see any negative effect from using it or not, but I would imagine that any polish that moved towards the center of the pad would break down at a slower rate then the polish at the outer edge of the pads....better safe than sorry IMO. ;)

BenSRT
09-13-2010, 12:16 PM
well,thanks for your help!

Fly bye
09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
well,thanks for your help!

Hi Ben, Question for you:

The pad in the picture above, has it been washed already?

Dubbin1
09-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I would think it would be just fine for applying wax. I wouldn't use it for polishing though.

rohnramirez
09-15-2010, 10:48 PM
That's called wear-n-tear... it's normal, pads don't stay looking like they are brand new after you use them.

Mike, it was a brand new pad. Used it once and that's how it turned out.

builthatch
09-15-2010, 10:52 PM
looks like you just used it too long in that session or are using too much pressure with the buffer - heat transfers directly from the drivetrain to the backing plate to the pad and will disintegrate the foam right under the center of the velcro, making it cave in and feel soft like that. if you cut that pad open it'll issue a ton of little foam confetti bits. DO NOT EAT THEM!

Kurt_s
09-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Mike, it was a brand new pad. Used it once and that's how it turned out.
Fortunately, it's a $10 lesson. I've burned up a couple of pads and it cost me $20. If we are not willing to make a few mistakes, we will never learn important lessons.

Better to try and fail than sit on the sidelines. Then failure is only learning what not to do! Hang in and you will be fine!

BenSRT
09-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Fortunately, it's a $10 lesson. I've burned up a couple of pads and it cost me $20. If we are not willing to make a few mistakes, we will never learn important lessons.

Better to try and fail than sit on the sidelines. Then failure is only learning what not to do! Hang in and you will be fine!

sometime we pay to learn!