PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Protection Plus: Am I doing something wrong?

Kurt_s
09-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I picked up the 4oz sample of Optimum Protection Plus a few weeks back. I was pretty excited to try it as I like most of the OPT products that I've used so far.

The sample came with a flip top bottle instead of the sprayer bottle. It's a white lotion that reminds me of Opti-Bond.

I picked up a 2 oz spray bottle at WalMart but it sprays a stream instead of wider spray. I tried using a microfiber cloth to disperse the lotion across the dash and interior trim. I found that it appeared to streak when I wiped it with the MF and had to buff it out to remove the streaks.

I didn't feel that I easily got complete coverage and it really doesn't look like I applied anything. I'm not a guy that likes shiny interior trim, but I want the blacks to look blacker and trim to look refreshed. The surfaces just look flat with no pop at all.

I precleaned the surfaces with APC+ (1:10) and wiped down all surfaces with a wet MF towel to remove any leftover cleaner before using the OPP.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how OPP looks?Feed back please

Thanks!

DARK HORSE
09-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Kurt, I've never used OPP, but was just wondering if you've ever tried 303 AP on your dash and interior trim?

Mindflux
09-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I use OPP out of a flip top and apply it to a foam applicator and use that to apply to dash/seats. No streaks this way.

Yes. The finish is matte with OPP.

Kurt_s
09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Kurt, I've never used OPP, but was just wondering if you've ever tried 303 AP on your dash and interior trim?

Hey Tad,
No, I haven't tried 303. I'm experimenting after using OG Do-it-all + for many years. I ended up putting DIA+ on my other car today when OPP didn't perform like I expected. DIA+ is a nice dressing but it's a 30 year old formula.

I hoped that OPP would work well but I guess I'm still searching. Maybe a foam applicator will help.

Do you like 303? I'm not into a shiny dash guy.

Kurt_s
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I use OPP out of a flip top and apply it to a foam applicator and use that to apply to dash/seats. No streaks this way.

Yes. The finish is matte with OPP.

Perhaps a little more matte than I expected. Normally, blacks look a little more black with a dressing. I was wondering if a foam applicator might help with the streaking.

Thanks for the feedback!

WRAPT C5Z06
09-12-2010, 11:03 PM
OPP didn't work well at all on my z06 interior. Very splotchy, uneven coverage. It's the only product from optimum I've been unsatisfied with. The only protectant I've used(tried a few) that gave dark, even coverage to my interior is Mothers Protectant. Apply with a MF applicator, let sit for a few minutes, then lightly buff. Looks great!! :dblthumb2:

Kurt_s
09-12-2010, 11:57 PM
OPP didn't work well at all on my z06 interior. Very splotchy, uneven coverage. It's the only product from optimum I've been unsatisfied with. The only protectant I've used(tried a few) that gave dark, even coverage to my interior is Mothers Protectant. Apply with a MF applicator, let sit for a few minutes, then lightly buff. Looks great!! :dblthumb2:

Hey Mark,
Come to think about it but I have never bought a Mother's product. My friends used to use Mother's wheel polish when I was in high school. Is mother's matte, satin or glossy?

What else have you tried?

WRAPT C5Z06
09-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Hey Mark,
Come to think about it but I have never bought a Mother's product. My friends used to use Mother's wheel polish when I was in high school. Is mother's matte, satin or glossy?

What else have you tried?
Kurt,

When you initially apply Mother's, it does look fairly shiny, but once you buff lightly, it tones down the shine to a nice, dark, satin finish. However, the only way to form your own opinion is if I send you a sample. :xyxthumbs:I've tried DP interior protectant, OPP, and 303. None gave the even coverage that Mother's did. C6 interior is very finicky. PM me your address so I can send you a 2 oz. sample.

Old Tiger
09-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I picked up the 4oz sample of Optimum Protection Plus a few weeks back. I was pretty excited to try it as I like most of the OPT products that I've used so far.

The sample came with a flip top bottle instead of the sprayer bottle. It's a white lotion that reminds me of Opti-Bond.

I picked up a 2 oz spray bottle at WalMart but it sprays a stream instead of wider spray. I tried using a microfiber cloth to disperse the lotion across the dash and interior trim. I found that it appeared to streak when I wiped it with the MF and had to buff it out to remove the streaks.

I didn't feel that I easily got complete coverage and it really doesn't look like I applied anything. I'm not a guy that likes shiny interior trim, but I want the blacks to look blacker and trim to look refreshed. The surfaces just look flat with no pop at all.

I precleaned the surfaces with APC+ (1:10) and wiped down all surfaces with a wet MF towel to remove any leftover cleaner before using the OPP.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how OPP looks?Feed back please

Thanks!
Thats pretty much how it looks. Very subtle. I like the look of DP better. Its between OPP and 303 IMO.

Dubbin1
09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Mark,

Is there any sent to the mothers protectant? I'm looking for something that has little to no sent and a matte finish.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Mark,

Is there any sent to the mothers protectant? I'm looking for something that has little to no sent and a matte finish.
Mother's has a cherry scent. I wouldn't consider it a matte finish. It does have some sheen to it, even after buffing, but I think it looks great! Compared to DP interior protectant, it's definitely gives a darker appearance.

washaholic
09-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I used Optimum Protectant Plus for the first time this weekend and am very happy with the results. The finish it gave was almost satin with a little gloss. The gloss was just enough to give it a fresh, new looking appearance. I bought the OPP after reading very good reviews about it and compared it to the other popular interior care products from 303 and 1Z.

It is more viscous, almost like a lotion so it doesn't spray in a fine mist pattern. I initially thought my Kwazar sprayer was bad because it just streamed out. I sprayed some on the surface itself and some into a microfiber cloth to ensure even coverage. I have read many comments saying 303 is especially prone to a blotchy finish. Give it another try, try changing your application technique.

Kurt_s
09-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I used Optimum Protectant Plus for the first time this weekend and am very happy with the results. The finish it gave was almost satin with a little gloss. The gloss was just enough to give it a fresh, new looking appearance. I bought the OPP after reading very good reviews about it and compared it to the other popular interior care products from 303 and 1Z.

It is more viscous, almost like a lotion so it doesn't spray in a fine mist pattern. I initially thought my Kwazar sprayer was bad because it just streamed out. I sprayed some on the surface itself and some into a microfiber cloth to ensure even coverage. I have read many comments saying 303 is especially prone to a blotchy finish. Give it another try, try changing your application technique.
One of the guys suggested a foam applicator. I could see how the MF towel left ridges in the lotion when dispersing it across the surface. Different MFs have different surfaces, so maybe I needed to use a more plush towel or something like the artic white polishing towel which is more of a woven flat surface??

If I didn't immediately buff the OPP treated surfaced with a dry section of a MF, the surface remained streaky so technique is definately involved. I also tried both circular and linear motions to apply the protectorant. Even after fighting through the streaks and buffing to get a more consistent finish, I'm just not sure that I like the flat matte finish.

And this is coming from a guy that likes the Optimum brand. I probably should have taken pictures and posted them as part of the process, but I really expected the OPP to be fantastic.

I may pick up the 1Z and Mark is sending me a sample of Mother's to try. It can be so hard to find just the right product, because what looks good to me, may not look good to someone else.

If someone wants me to post a few pictures of the dash and where I can't get the surface to look right in sections, I should be able to take them later today. Let me know if it would bring value to you.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
It can be so hard to find just the right product, because what looks good to me, may not look good to someone else.

Exactly. You may think Mother's looks hideous. :laughing:

Kurt_s
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Exactly. You may think Mother's looks hideous. :laughing:

As long as it doesn't look like the old 80's Armor All, I probably won't gag!:)