PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized paint

daves120
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
I recently worked on the black paint of my 1993 Chevy S10 truck. Products used are a Griot's ROP along with Pinnacle XMT (3,2,1) Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer, Griot's paint sealant and Mothers carnauba wax.

1) Washed the truck with DP auto bath shampoo and clayed the entire vehicle.
2) Lake County CCS orange foam pad and Pinnacel XMT 3. The pad became caked in just one body panel, for example a door. This was followed by Pinnacle XMT 2 and 1. When using the XMT 1 I switched to the white foam pad. I watched the video on how to remove swirls before I started the process.
3) Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer with white foam pad.
4) Griot's paint sealant with white foam pad.
5) Mothers wax with a red foam pad.

Remember this vehicle has spent most of its life outside without any cover. the hood and top cleaned well but the environment has taken its toll and primer is showing through in many places.

The sides cleaned well but are still showing swirl marks and some haloing.

The video shows one way of applying the polish and the bottle says to use a figure eight process. I tried both ways and achived roughly the same result.

I admit that I am a novice and am disappointed in the result.

I have a few more vehicles lined up for work (motorcycles too) and am concerned about causing damage instead of acutally making the paint look better. It is not feasable for me to attend a class right now and would like some feedback and recommendations for products.

Should I use a different pad / product mix?

Flash Gordon
05-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I recently worked on the black paint of my 1993 Chevy S10 truck. Products used are a Griot's ROP along with Pinnacle XMT (3,2,1) Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer, Griot's paint sealant and Mothers carnauba wax.

1) Washed the truck with DP auto bath shampoo and clayed the entire vehicle.
2) Lake County CCS orange foam pad and Pinnacel XMT 3. The pad became caked in just one body panel, for example a door. This was followed by Pinnacle XMT 2 and 1. When using the XMT 1 I switched to the white foam pad. I watched the video on how to remove swirls before I started the process.
3) Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer with white foam pad.
4) Griot's paint sealant with white foam pad.
5) Mothers wax with a red foam pad.

Remember this vehicle has spent most of its life outside without any cover. the hood and top cleaned well but the environment has taken its toll and primer is showing through in many places.

The sides cleaned well but are still showing swirl marks and some haloing.

The video shows one way of applying the polish and the bottle says to use a figure eight process. I tried both ways and achived roughly the same result.

I admit that I am a novice and am disappointed in the result.

I have a few more vehicles lined up for work (motorcycles too) and am concerned about causing damage instead of acutally making the paint look better. It is not feasable for me to attend a class right now and would like some feedback and recommendations for products.

Should I use a different pad / product mix?

Sorry this went so long unanswered

The paint and clear both were terrible in the early 90's for GM. I'm a little confused as to what your question is/was

If you have a problem again, let me know and I will try to help you out if I can (Memphis)

Flash

daves120
05-27-2011, 01:37 PM
There was clear coat failure on the horizontal surfaces of the truck, and this was not discovered until all the ozidation had been removed.

The biggest issue is that this was my first vehicle in this shape, and being a novice did not help any. I have been fortunate to have worked on many vehicles since then and believe I am much better at buffing and polishing paint.

Since the original post, the truck has been sold and the money was used to purchase the vapor chief steam machine. My brother has the truck and I am tempted to work on the paint once again, but do not think it is worth the effort or product.

Since we are both in Memphis, let's get together one day and have a cup of coffee and tell lies.

Flash Gordon
05-27-2011, 03:30 PM
There was clear coat failure on the horizontal surfaces of the truck, and this was not discovered until all the ozidation had been removed.

The biggest issue is that this was my first vehicle in this shape, and being a novice did not help any. I have been fortunate to have worked on many vehicles since then and believe I am much better at buffing and polishing paint.

Since the original post, the truck has been sold and the money was used to purchase the vapor chief steam machine. My brother has the truck and I am tempted to work on the paint once again, but do not think it is worth the effort or product.

Since we are both in Memphis, let's get together one day and have a cup of coffee and tell lies.

Its good to get your feet wet with cars/trucks in this condition. Anythings an improvement, and if you make a mistake its no big deal

Coffee and Lies sounds like fun. We will have to do this soon. What part of town are you in?

daves120
05-29-2011, 08:25 PM
East Memphis, near Walnut Grove and Mendenhall

Flash Gordon
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
East Memphis, near Walnut Grove and Mendenhall

Right down the road. Pink Palace here

We may have to switch that coffee to a snow cone. Got a funny feeling its getting ready to stay hot for awhile

Hey, did you go out to the car show @ Graceland this weekend? Lots of sharp rides for sure

brawl
05-29-2011, 09:05 PM
maybe you can try applying your griot's sealant with a black/blue/red pad instead of white. then flash will teach you the right techniques