PDA

View Full Version : Tacking Floormats

ilb3
09-11-2010, 10:11 PM
In the process of doing what I can for my used 03 Mazda6 the next thing on my list is to clean the floormats.

On a scale of 1 - 5 of how dirty they are I would say a 4.

Most of it looks like dirt that has set into it over time but who knows.

So far I've got either soaking them in a bathtub with carpet cleaner or taking them to a car wash to get pressure washed.

Pile on the advice.

Thanks in advance.

Dubbin1
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Buy new ones :)

ilb3
09-11-2010, 10:25 PM
You think?

I looked at the recommended weathertech ones and they are 54 bucks for just the front. I figured cleaning them would be cheaper

Dubbin1
09-11-2010, 10:29 PM
You think?

I looked at the recommended weathertech ones and they are 54 bucks for just the front. I figured cleaning them would be cheaper

If they are a 4 out of 5 then I think you will not be happy with the end results with cleaning them.

BillyJack
09-12-2010, 07:25 AM
We deal with dirty mats at our detail shop all the time. Vacuum to get as much loose dirt out as possible, then lay them out on the ground and start scrubbing. A good general purpose cleaner, such as Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner at 4:1 gets most of the garbage out, but you may need to spot-clean any tar or grease with a solvent such as naptha or paint thinner. Rinse thoroughly and hang 'em up to drip dry. A wet/dry shop vac can speed up the drying process. Obviously you can't undo excessive wear, so a fabric dye may be needed if they're really beat up. Your results will depend on condition. You'll never make them new again, but you should be at least able to make them acceptable.

Bill

SeaJay's
09-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd suggest vacuuming them up, then getting some carpet shampoo and scrubbing them real good then pressure wash them. That should remove the majority of the dirt.

daveinsweethome
09-12-2010, 09:37 AM
be careful with a pressure washer on carpet mats. i turned a set into a wookie fist in seconds. oops

Allen Anderson
09-12-2010, 01:15 PM
New ones might be the way to go if you want the new look.

mswerb
09-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I removed the carpet floor mats in all of my cars for this reason alone. All season mats are SO much easier to maintain.

CriticalDetails
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
The price of rubber floor mats is quickly offset by the amount of time saved cleaning them. I take my floor mats out weekly and remove any debris that have accumulated in a matter of seconds. When the mats get soiled I wash them with some cheap car soap and a nylon brush. After cleaning the mats I hang dry them before placing them back in the vehicle. Rubber floor mats are a must for any daily driver especially with the winter months approaching.

ScottB
09-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Weathertech products are well made and worth their price .... not back to original question.