PDA

View Full Version : Black Magic Carnuba Wax & buffer question

Pages : [1] 2

Hell Ride
09-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a Porter Cable 7424XP and I have some Black Magic Carnuba Wax at the house. Well, on the bottle it says that it should be applied by hand but I'm curious if I can use it with the polisher. I wanted to ask before doing so as to not mess up my paint. I greatly appreciate any feedback you can give me.
TIA
-Hell Ride

ScottB
09-11-2010, 05:37 PM
you can likely apply and/or remove by machine also. Use a light finishing pad and be careful as most OTC waxes have some cleaners and polishes in them, especially careful around trim.

Hell Ride
09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
you can likely apply and/or remove by machine also. Use a light finishing pad and be careful as most OTC waxes have some cleaners and polishes in them, especially careful around trim.

I intend to tape off the trim before I start detailing. Are there any waxes you would recommend that aren't too expensive? I'm just starting out and don't have the money for amazingly expensive detailing supplies.

Bonifax
09-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Before applying any wax you should prep your paint with a polish, maybe an AIO like PBs Polish with Carnuba and then apply a coat of wax like a Nattys Blue or Red once you have removed some paint defects

ScottB
09-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I intend to tape off the trim before I start detailing. Are there any waxes you would recommend that aren't too expensive? I'm just starting out and don't have the money for amazingly expensive detailing supplies.

If you are looking for a pure paste wax without cleaners that wont break the bank include DP MaxWax, Poorboys Natty Red or Blue, Pinnacle SSII, P21S, S100 and more.

If you prefer liquids consider Poorboys Natty Blue, Liquid Souveran ...

Now for paint sealants (synthetic waxes) consider DP Policoat, Menzerna Powerlock, Rejex or Wolfgang.

Always remember to cruise the Special Values and BOGO area of AG for best deals too. It takes time to build a collection but can easily do so within a budget. And with each order grab a free sample to try products prior to buying them too.

Hell Ride
09-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I have been considering the Wolfgang Swirl Remover Combo, do you think that would be a good idea? i tend to prefer liquid waxes as oppossed to pastes. Is the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze a sealant? I will need most of it by this weekend as I have to fix the horrible mess that a body shop made of my brother's Volkswagen.

Bunky
09-12-2010, 06:24 AM
I have been considering the Wolfgang Swirl Remover Combo, do you think that would be a good idea? i tend to prefer liquid waxes as opposed to pastes. Is the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze a sealant? I will need most of it by this weekend as I have to fix the horrible mess that a body shop made of my brother's Volkswagen.

The wolfgang products (TSR and FG) are abrasive polishes. The finishing glaze is a finishing polish and does not contain a sealant or wax. The WG sealant is called WG Deep Paint Sealant.

ScottB
09-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I have been considering the Wolfgang Swirl Remover Combo, do you think that would be a good idea? i tend to prefer liquid waxes as oppossed to pastes. Is the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze a sealant? I will need most of it by this weekend as I have to fix the horrible mess that a body shop made of my brother's Volkswagen.

Menzerna teamed up with Wolfgang to help make the two abrasive polishes TSR and FG. FG has no protective properties.

If you prefer liquids seriously consider the DP Poli-coat product. It looks great, less expensive, and really easy to apply and remove. Just remember its a pure sealant so its just protection.

Dubbin1
09-12-2010, 09:08 AM
i tend to prefer liquid waxes as oppossed to pastes.

I think that's because you have only ever used cheap OTC paste wax. If you ever try a high quality paste then you just may change your mind on what you like best.

Hell Ride
09-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Okay well, I went ahead and got some paste wax. Here is what I have ordered.
16 oz. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
3 oz. Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Mini
Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo
Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar 200 grams
I think that should be enough, right? Do you guys prefer applying paste wax by hand or with the buffer? I have watched the Youtube videos of how to do it by hand but am curious to know what you prefer.

ScottB
09-12-2010, 06:14 PM
You got some seriously nice stuff ... and yes I prefer to apply and remove paste by hand.

BobbyG
09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
You got some seriously nice stuff ... and yes I prefer to apply and remove paste by hand.

Scott, you're not kidding he did! :eek: :cheers:

BobbyG
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Okay well, I went ahead and got some paste wax. Here is what I have ordered.
16 oz. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
3 oz. Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Mini
Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo
Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar 200 grams
I think that should be enough, right? Do you guys prefer applying paste wax by hand or with the buffer? I have watched the Youtube videos of how to do it by hand but am curious to know what you prefer.

When I apply liquid wax I always use my Porter Cable 7424 polisher. I apply both sealants and waxes using a blue or red Lake Country pad on a speed of 3. I go back and forth many times working the product into the surface and keeping it as thin as possible.

For paste waxes I'm about 50 / 50 hand or machine. I really like the way the polisher works the product into the finish and the uniformity of the coat as well. I take a couple of small dabs and place it on the pad then use the machine to work it into the paint.

Sometimes if I'm doing one panel or a section I'll do it by hand but pay particular attention to the coverage and thickness I'm laying down...

ScottB
09-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I hear my song again .... "The touch, the feel of paste wax, its the magic of my life"

Hell Ride
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
well just a little background on myself, I'm not a novice at detailing cars guys, I did it a lot through high school including work with a buffer on lots of custom cars, including a very nicely restored 77 Corvette Stingray, a 65 Stingray, and 2 1957 T-birds. I have pics of the 77 and 65 as well as a Custom 30's ford van that I will post later. They were all owned by the same guy. I'm just unfamiliar with these products.