PDA

View Full Version : Forum question

Y2KSVT
09-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey guys. I have a question that I've noticed on a few different forums I visit. After I've visited a thread, and someone posts something new to it, there is a little orange box to the left of the thread that is supposed to take me to the newest post in that thread. For whatever reason, it takes me to the first post in the thread that I visited that day.
For instance, if a new thread was started yesterday and I read all of those posts, and then today I see that there are new posts, I push that orange box and it takes me to the newest unread post (lets call that post X). But the next time someone posts and I push that orange box, instead of it taking me to that new post, it takes me back to post X and I have to scroll through to find the newest post.

Is there something I can do to get that button to work properly, or is this a problem with everyone? The function works perfectly on another forum I visit, so I don't necessarily think it's my PC, but possibly my settings on this forum?

Thanks!
Mark

Mindflux
09-10-2010, 01:29 PM
The orange box/arrow takes you to the last post in the thread. That's how it's always worked for me?

Y2KSVT
09-10-2010, 01:36 PM
The orange box to the left of the thread title should take you to the newest post. If you hover your cursor over it, it says just that. The box/arrow to the right of the most recent poster's screen name should take you to the last post, which again, if you hover your cursor over that arrow should say that.

I'm just wondering why the box that should take me to the newest post, doesn't seem to work after the first time I used it after logging in for the day.

Mark

Mindflux
09-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh duh, I read wrong.

Orange box says "Go to First new Post"

Orange/Red arrow (by username on right) goes to the last post.

I just always use the Orange/Red arrow. I'm usually more interested in the most recent conversation anyway.

Mindflux
09-10-2010, 01:40 PM
After testing the box on the left. It seems "Go to first new post" goes to the first new post of that calendar DAY.

If you scroll up one post from that you'll see that was the last post of the previous calendar day. That's how it's looking to work for me. Or if the thread is new enough to not span multiple days of posts, it simply goes to the first post.

Y2KSVT
09-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm most interested in the newest conversation as well, but if there have been 20 new posts since I last read the thread, the orange box to the left should take me to the newest of those 20 posts. Basically, it should take me to the next post, directly after the last post I read earlier in the day. If I use the arrow you use, it takes me to the very last post, where, if there have been 20 posts that I haven't read, then I need to scroll backwards to get to the earliest post that I haven't read.

Mark

Y2KSVT
09-10-2010, 01:45 PM
After testing the box on the left. It seems "Go to first new post" goes to the first new post of that calendar DAY.

If you scroll up one post from that you'll see that was the last post of the previous calendar day. That's how it's looking to work for me. Or if the thread is new enough to not span multiple days of posts, it simply goes to the first post.

EXACTLY!!! That isn't how that button is supposed to work. It's supposed to take you to the newest post that you personally have not yet read. Like I mentioned, it works perfectly on another forum I visit, but there are a few others that it doesn't. I'm not real tech savvy, so I'm not sure if there's something in my settings that will make that button do what it's supposed to do. Sounds like it does the same thing for you, so maybe it's just a limitation. No biggie, but I thought I'd ask.

Mark

ROMEO
09-10-2010, 01:59 PM
WOW, I had never seen that box before, but I think it is taking me to the new post pass from where I have seen before, maybe if you check your cookies setting? I would guess that it uses cookies to remember what you have seen, and what is new...

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I dunno...that feature of vBulletin stopped working correctly for me several software versions ago...my favorite button after "new posts"...