PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent #601

pt91
11-21-2006, 10:06 PM
I hv used 601 as a pre-cleaner and bonding agent for 105 hoping to make the sealant more durable. Easy to work with and time will tell.

The 601 product details describe the use of this with other sealants as well.

Has anyone tried this as a bonding agent for other sealants? I read that it did not work with Z2 but I wonder about EX-P, WG, etc.
Is it a catalyst like ZFX or just a precleaner?

Al-53
11-22-2006, 09:14 AM
601 will work with any siloxane type sealant..meaning a silicone polymer....will not work with klasse or zaino(maybe not sure what zaino contains) or any acyrlic(ureathane) based sealant..If wolfgang or PB's are siloxane based it will work....do not know to what extremes...but 601 says can be used with any siloxane based sealer...

Try it..the worse that can happen is your paint may grow hair..lol..j/k

AL

BILL
11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Try it..the worse that can happen is your paint may grow hair..lol..j/k

:D my early morning laugh....thanks..........;)

ashsarna
11-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I hv used 601 as a pre-cleaner and bonding agent for 105 hoping to make the sealant more durable. Easy to work with and time will tell.

The 601 product details describe the use of this with other sealants as well.

Has anyone tried this as a bonding agent for other sealants? I read that it did not work with Z2 but I wonder about EX-P, WG, etc.
Is it a catalyst like ZFX or just a precleaner?

It is a both: like a catalyst (it helps increase the durability) for DG 105 and a precleaner.

One thing I am not sure about when using it with other sealants is that DG states not to remove the 601 before applying the 105. Would this hold with other non DG sealants? Not sure.

Al-53
11-22-2006, 09:59 AM
yes..you would leave leave it on..it does pre-clean..the remaining product will react with the sealant polymer...from the way it was explained to me..the catylst in 601 creates a tighter crosslink...to ensure a good bonding to a virgin surface....now if you have 101 down..the polymers in that sorta grab the polymers in say 105 or 111...and hook them up....so 601 is not needed in that case...think of it like velcro......one part is the hooks and one part is the loops...creating a secure bond...I spent over a hour with DG on the phone and Jerry went into some heavy chemistry talk..lost me but I got the drift of it..lol....

polymers exchange some molecules for another during the crosslinking or curing...that is why it is best to leave a sealant for say 45 minutes before buffing off..so the process starts and gives sealant better adhesion to surface...

Now the 24 hour wait between coats is to ensure all curing is complete and you do not remove the previous layer when applying a second coat...it ensures the first coat took on its hard form...

some people have said they see streaking or smearing during a second coat of a sealant...this can be the results of the cure not finished on the first and you are pushing a partialy cured sealant around...

Was told the more humid the ambient air the longer the cure time..the dryer the air the shorter the cure time..but still best to wait the 24 hours....

Wax is different...unless it is a polymer wax combo..it does not really crosslink..it just cures ..the solvents evaporate(flash) leaving the micro crystaline carnuba to dry and harden...

AL

pt91
11-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Al-53
Tks for the info. That is what I was looking for.

ScottB
11-22-2006, 06:08 PM
I found it to be a primer like the original Z1. Does it truly extend protection, or clean and provide the correct foundation for sealant to link and cure. Who knows ... because who evers runs till the end ??

ZFX is truly a curing/catalyst. More are coming from other vendors, and I suspect we will use the shortly. Cannot say more !!

sparkie
11-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Man, I'm glad we have Big Al chiming in here on DG products! I would be lost with out him.

maesal
11-27-2006, 04:32 AM
And the question may be: What sealants are siloxane based?

dengood1
11-27-2006, 09:34 PM
yes..you would leave leave it on..it does pre-clean..the remaining product will react with the sealant polymer...from the way it was explained to me..the catylst in 601 creates a tighter crosslink...to ensure a good bonding to a virgin surface....now if you have 101 down..the polymers in that sorta grab the polymers in say 105 or 111...and hook them up....so 601 is not needed in that case...think of it like velcro......one part is the hooks and one part is the loops...creating a secure bond...I spent over a hour with DG on the phone and Jerry went into some heavy chemistry talk..lost me but I got the drift of it..lol....

polymers exchange some molecules for another during the crosslinking or curing...that is why it is best to leave a sealant for say 45 minutes before buffing off..so the process starts and gives sealant better adhesion to surface...

Now the 24 hour wait between coats is to ensure all curing is complete and you do not remove the previous layer when applying a second coat...it ensures the first coat took on its hard form...

some people have said they see streaking or smearing during a second coat of a sealant...this can be the results of the cure not finished on the first and you are pushing a partialy cured sealant around...

Was told the more humid the ambient air the longer the cure time..the dryer the air the shorter the cure time..but still best to wait the 24 hours....

Wax is different...unless it is a polymer wax combo..it does not really crosslink..it just cures ..the solvents evaporate(flash) leaving the micro crystaline carnuba to dry and harden...

AL
I haven't had the chance to use DG products yet, but damn, that was well said:applause: