PDA

View Full Version : foammaster foam gun

somguy2u
09-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I have one of these guns and i really do like it, but only after a few washes the "gun" part or the handle has become very sluggish, it takes 2 seconds after i release it to stop squirting water, it's worse than mercedes' old manumatic system (had to hit upshift 1500 rpm before redline to shift at redline).

i like it, is there a way i can get that quick disconnect on another handle?

ScottB
09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
get rid of the gun portion .... move to a Dramm 300 shutoff valve and a male/female quick connects. Youll love it.

CEE DOG
09-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I have a nozzle with a shutoff between the foam gun and the hose. turn off the nozzle then depress the trigger for a second then disconnect the foam gun.

BobbyG
09-09-2010, 07:53 PM
I just bought a foam gun too and one thing I discovered when used with the red squeeze gun it just doesn't get allot of flow. I removed the cup, nozzle, and valve assembly from the water gun itself and when squeeze full open the volume and pressure of water was very, very low.

When I connected the hose directly to the cup assembly minus the water gun it produced a generous amount of soapy solution with much more force covering the car very easily.

I read that there's a flow control valve in the handle, probably to stop a back flow of solution. I'm wondering if this valve is a problem with these guns and needs to be investigated?

Feed back please

somguy2u
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
get rid of the gun portion .... move to a Dramm 300 shutoff valve and a male/female quick connects. Youll love it.

ordered, with some other goodies.

the QD is a good idea, i have asprayer that i really like to use, and i hate going back to the wall to turn the hose off, change the guns, then turn the water back on - etc.

i didn't realize those QDs were universal

Matt
09-10-2010, 05:16 AM
I have one of these guns and i really do like it, but only after a few washes the "gun" part or the handle has become very sluggish, it takes 2 seconds after i release it to stop squirting water, it's worse than mercedes' old manumatic system (had to hit upshift 1500 rpm before redline to shift at redline).

i like it, is there a way i can get that quick disconnect on another handle?

I too had the same issue so I lubed mine with some white lithium grease, around the mechanism where the pin goes into the handle to cut off the flow. It now moves freely again.

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2010, 06:45 AM

I know this is a popular option, I just can't see using the thing without a spring-loaded shutoff of some sort. BTW, if the Dramm is the bomb--why isn't AG carrying it (hint hint)?

I too had the same issue so I lubed mine with some white lithium grease, around the mechanism where the pin goes into the handle to cut off the flow. It now moves freely again.

This is a constant battle--at one time I soaked mine in white vinegar until it loosened up, now I try to exercise them between and before use to free them up. However I just had one stick on me so bad I had to bang it closed with a mallet (fortunately I have a shutoff on the end of the hose), so I was considering lubing it as you state--I was just concerned about entraining grease residue into my wash mix--I figured that would kinda defeat the purpose.

BobbyG
09-10-2010, 07:36 AM
This is a constant battle--at one time I soaked mine in white vinegar until it loosened up, now I try to exercise them between and before use to free them up. However I just had one stick on me so bad I had to bang it closed with a mallet (fortunately I have a shutoff on the end of the hose), so I was considering lubing it as you state--I was just concerned about entraining grease residue into my wash mix--I figured that would kinda defeat the purpose.

I think this is due to the material the gun itself is made of and the chemicals, including water, reacting with the metal. As the product is used under normal conditions, corrosion that begins to form around moving parts restriction their movement and function over time.

If you look under the red plastic skin you'll see a very inexpensive squeeze gun. These are ones generally found in places like WalMart gardening sections. These guns are generally castings made of non-rusting metals but the downside is; they corrode.

Even though I should not have to do this, I'm chucking the gun portion and replacing it with one of these. Since I've already connected the hose directly and seen a marked improvement I know it works. :props:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Drammshut-off.jpg