PDA

View Full Version : Old Meguiar's compounds

KevinR
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
A friend was cleaning out his garage and had a few bottles of some old Meguiars Mirror Glaze products.

#14 Acid Rain Remover
#15 Clearcoat conditioner

I took them rather than just toss them in the trash. I haven't opened them up yet to see if they're any good, but I was wondering if anyone knew where they fell on the aggressiveness scale.

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Boy, Mike Phillips is going to have a field day with this! He might even want them for his "museum".

NY946
09-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Any idea how old? Photos?

KevinR
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I'll try to get some photos tonight. My guess is 15 to 20 years old...

BobbyG
09-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I'll try to get some photos tonight. My guess is 15 to 20 years old...

HA! I got underwear that old! :poke:

Mike Phillips
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Those are part of the original Detailer Line Meguiar's launched in 1991 or 1992, I can type more about the but it's end of day and have some offline projects to complete.

The #14 would be a fairly aggressive, diminishing abrasive compound "type" product.
The #15 will be a finishing polish, also using diminishing abrasives.

The #14 should be brownish and have a cinnamon scent and the #15 should be pink with a baby lotion scent.

I used them quite a bit in one of my brick and mortar detail shops... back then they worked as good and better than most of what was on the market at the time.

Keep in mind basecoat/clearcoat paint system had only been mainstream in the U.S. at the time these were introduced and back then all polish manufactures were working hard at coming out with new abrasives formulas that could remove defects without leaving defects.

This is still a tricky thing to do today but technology has come a long way and the future holds even more new technology...

:)

ckncwmn
09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
O god here comes another age joke
this was researched before i was born.... lol

Mike Phillips
09-09-2010, 05:11 PM
O god here comes another age joke
this was researched before i was born.... lol

Since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

KevinR
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Those are part of the original Detailer Line Meguiar's launched in 1991 or 1992, I can type more about the but it's end of day and have some offline projects to complete.:)

Thanks Mike!

For those who asked, here are the pictures:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z130/MBMVW/DSCN0704.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z130/MBMVW/DSCN0703.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z130/MBMVW/DSCN0702.jpg

ckncwmn
09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:
Thanks mike!

C. Charles Hahn
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Cool finds! I was just given a ton of Meg's products from about that same vintage recently as well by a customer who was clearing out her garage. Evidently her late husband owned and detailed classic cars for showing and they were left over in a cabinet. I'll have to get some pics of my new stash at some point too.

Kevin Brown
09-10-2010, 02:03 AM
14 IS GREAT.

I used MASS amounts of it back in the day.

It excelled for removing overspray by hand, and was especially KILLER for doing so on rubber and textured plastic trim.
It was my favorite for removing water spots and crud from GLASS. Buffed a Porsche 959 with it... Buffed a BMW M1 with it, too.

Sorry to see it go away. As for the 15?

Best thing you could do with THAT stuff is set it on the ground, take a few steps back, and BOOT IT as far as you can.
You'll get more enjoyment seeing the pretty splotch mark it'll make as it crashes to Earth than you'll receive from actually using it. :dblthumb2:

Kidding there... it just wasn't my cup o' tea. Although I did use a dozen or so gallons of the stuff.
Super glossy finish, but didn't cut any better than a frozen popsicle. Its scent smelled like strong baby powder, as Mike said.

Don't throw either one out.
They were cutting edge at the time, and overall, neat to have around. I'm surprised that the #14 jug isn't cracked.

Sweet find there. Im the MAN