PDA

View Full Version : Characteristics of Paint after car repair

dougaross
09-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I am picking up my 2008 white audi tomorrow after rear end (bumper, rear deck, rear qtr and rear roof pillar) repair and repaint. What issues/caveats should I be concerned with regarding the new paint. I am sure it will not be as hard as the factory paint. The rear pillar will probably be blended into the roof. What complications will this present the next time I do a complete detail?

I would appreciate any insights that any of you could provide.

Midnight1700
09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
First, and very important! Do not buff or wax your new paint for at least 6 weeks (Longer would even be better). Your paint needs time to "Gas Out" or in other words, cure.

Second, you will find that while buffing out the older painted areas, you will spent a lot more time on making it just right. The newly painted area will require very little polishing unless the body shop "detailer" did you a favor of imbedding halograms in your new paint.

Work the newly painted area very easy until you get a feel for how it's going to react with the polishing/buffing.

Hope this helps!

buddhadog
09-09-2010, 05:02 PM
find out exactly where the blend area is and dont ever clay or polish over that area just leave it alone because over time clay or polish can start to show and edge where the new paint was blended.

get down on your knees and Look up and down your panels for "wavy " body work . The panels should look nice and flat (straight)in the reflection.

Also make sure they did not overspray your entire vehicle , something that happens way too often . Your windows and paint should feel smooth not gritty .

Hope they did a nice job!

Mike Phillips
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
What issues/caveats should I be concerned with regarding the new paint. I am sure it will not be as hard as the factory paint.

Besides what the others posted, hope that you don't have a Horror Story due to Swirls...

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

Even though the "D" stands for Dealership you can have the same problem after visiting a body shop or detail shop.

You usually have to wash the car a few times to wash off the polishing oils to reveal the swirls.

First, and very important! Do not buff or wax your new paint for at least 6 weeks (Longer would even be better). Your paint needs time to "Gas Out" or in other words, cure.

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/26967-don-t-wax-your-car-least-30-days.html)

The newly painted area will require very little polishing unless the body shop "detailer" did you a favor of imbedding halograms in your new paint.

Lets hope for the best...

Both the above articles can be found in one of my links in my Sig Line for articles plus about another 160 or so other articles...

:xyxthumbs: