PDA

View Full Version : Below Surface Contaminants?

Allen Anderson
09-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Like dings scratches and swirls what do I use for these? Do you have to have a DA Polisher to take care of these or some other kind of tool.

Is it possible to do by hand in any amount of considerate time?

longdx
09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
There are several products like Meguiars SwirlX and Ultimate Compound that work well by hand. Also, PoorBoy's Polishes also work well be hand. A DA polisher makes short of it, but by hand you can accomplish the same thing. It will take a little longer (several passes with pressure)but it can be done.

Mike Phillips
09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Like dings scratches and swirls what do I use for these? Do you have to have a DA Polisher to take care of these or some other kind of tool.

Is it possible to do by hand in any amount of considerate time?

Ultimate Compound by hand is the best hand applied scratch remover at this time that I've tested. Here's how to use it...

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/26612-how-use-hand-applied-abrasive-polish-paint-cleaner-hand.html)

For deeper defects it more effective to remove them by hand because you can exert a lot of pressure to the affected area with a couple of fingers. With a polisher all the pressure is spread out over the entire face of the buffing pad.

For light swirls that are throughout the entire finish... you really want to get an electric polisher.

Man versus Machine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/faq/20257-man-versus-machine.html)

:)

Allen Anderson
09-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I was thinking of taking advantage of your guys buy on get one you got going on right now for the XMT 360 and getting the XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3 for varying levels of aggressiveness.

Is the #3 real real aggressive? I'm afraid of ruining a paint job with too much power.

These products also are for use with a polisher/buffer like the porter cable not for hand use?

Oh and thank you :)

Mike Phillips
09-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I was thinking of taking advantage of your guys buy on get one you got going on right now for the XMT 360 and getting the XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3 for varying levels of aggressiveness.

Is the #3 real real aggressive? I'm afraid of ruining a paint job with too much power.

These products also are for use with a polisher/buffer like the porter cable not for hand use?

Oh and thank you :)

The XMT Line is specific to use by machine, at least the #1, #2, #3, and #4 polishes.

The #3 is perfectly safe for a beginner, it's the #4 you have to watch out for, it's liquid sandpaper.

Machine polishing with a DA Polisher will remove all the light swirls and scratches but the RIDS will remain behind...

Read this and if the car is a daily driver don't sweat the RIDS

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html)

The above article can be found in one of my links in my Sig Line for articles plus about another 160 or so other articles...

Something for everyone...

:)

Allen Anderson
09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks Mike! I've been reading some of the How-to articles you've got like the hand waxxing technique for breaking open and creeping out :) Just had a lil trouble finding one on polishing thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

Sorry if I'm reasking already answered questions.

Love this Forum