PDA

View Full Version : Question about UPGP Application

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tvg
09-09-2010, 01:52 PM
I’ve been a very active reader of the Autogeek forum for the last 4 or 5 months, and I must say this detailing thing is pretty addictive, plus I think I’m developing a case of OCD.

I’ve finally got a question that searching the forum didn’t come up with an answer for. So this is my first real post (I’ve entered a couple of the give-a-way contest).

I just recently tried UPGP on my wife’s car and I must say that went on as easy as mention so often on the forum. And it looks very very good. I did two applications (1 day apart) and I just can’t believe how little was used, the bottle still looks unused. Car is a Subaru Outback.

My buddy wants to give UPGP a try since I’ve been talking about it for the last couple of weeks, so this weekend I’m going to apply it to his car. Right now his paint is pretty good, some minor swirls but nothing too bad. He has Zaino on it right now. My question is what would be the easiest way to prep his car for UPGP, would an IPA wipedown be sufficient? Or would going over the car with something like PB Pro Polish be required.

CEE DOG
09-09-2010, 02:17 PM
UPGP is my favorite sealant!

I would recomend using Ultima Paint Prep Plus for what you describe.

JSFM35x
09-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I would dawn wash and then Ultima Paint Prep, then UPGP.

This way you are sure you got the Zano off even if you miss polishinng close to moldings.

Kurt_s
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
UPGP is my favorite sealant!

I would recomend using Ultima Paint Prep Plus for what you describe.

Your reviews are always terrific by the way, but I didn't see a UPGP review by you.

Any specific reasons why UPGP is your favorite sealant?

Rsurfer
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
I would dawn wash and then Ultima Paint Prep, then UPGP.

This way you are sure you got the Zano off even if you miss polishinng close to moldings.
Good advice, but I'm not sure Dawn would take all of the Zaino off. :props:

feslope
09-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Wash, dry and apply. UPGP will penetrate under whatever current finish is on the car and remove it in the process. Unless polishing is needed don't put in too much extra effort.

tvg
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I don't have Ultima Paint Prep, and there is probably no way I can have that by the weekend, since it is Thursday and I'm in Manitoba, Canada.

I have PB Pro Polish, Menz 85RD & SIP, Megs 105 & 205, Zanio stuff, and a few different APC's. And I definitely have Dawn.

If you guys really think the Ultima Paint prep is the way to go, I'lll postpone doing his car until I can get some.

CEE DOG
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Your reviews are always terrific by the way, but I didn't see a UPGP review by you.

Any specific reasons why UPGP is your favorite sealant?

Thank you Kurt! :) Let me back up.... After I bought my Sky I went and bought some things from Walmart auto dept. I almost bought the Megs NXT but instead it just got me thinking and I wasn't satisifed with what I knew. So I went home and got online. After hitting another site and spending some hours there I discovered AutoGeek. UPGP was the first product I went for during those first couple weeks of research. I got the UPGP and the UPPP. I didn't have a machine at the time and wasn't planning on getting one. Just wanted to keep what I had safe from the elements. Anyway, I hand polished the whole car with UPPP and sealed (3 coats if I recall correctly). Loved the whole experience and it was love at first sight for UPGP! Oops, started getting a bit wordy didn't I!

By the time I started doing reviews and learning more I was focusing mostly on reviewing things that were usually new to me and I just never did a review on UPGP. I have Pmed and posted stuff about it a million times and I should probably do a review.

Anyway, to answer your question my reasons for it being my favorite are in no particular order:

Gloss
Clarity
Protection
Durability
Ease of Application
Lastly, Something I just can't explain. I just really like it.

Originally the reason I selected it was simple: Ease of Use, Durability, and Protection

ScottB
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
In my opinion Dawn wont significantly dent Zaino, its commonly offered to remove wax prior to using Zaino. When removing any sealant consider a paint cleanser or polishing to remove.

Rob T
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Good advice, but I'm not sure Dawn would take all of the Zaino off. :props:

Use Spray 9. It'll take it off!

Rob T
09-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you Kurt! :) Let me back up.... After I bought my Sky I went and bought some things from Walmart auto dept. I almost bought the Megs NXT but instead it just got me thinking and I wasn't satisifed with what I knew. So I went home and got online. After hitting another site and spending some hours there I discovered AutoGeek. UPGP was the first product I went for during those first couple weeks of research. I got the UPGP and the UPPP. I didn't have a machine at the time and wasn't planning on getting one. Just wanted to keep what I had safe from the elements. Anyway, I hand polished the whole car with UPPP and sealed (3 coats if I recall correctly). Loved the whole experience and it was love at first sight for UPGP! Oops, started getting a bit wordy didn't I!

By the time I started doing reviews and learning more I was focusing mostly on reviewing things that were usually new to me and I just never did a review on UPGP. I have Pmed and posted stuff about it a million times and I should probably do a review.

Anyway, to answer your question my reasons for it being my favorite are in no particular order:

Gloss
Clarity
Protection
Durability
Ease of Application

Originally the reason I selected it was simple: Ease of Use, Durability, and Protection

Have you tried Opti-Seal?

CEE DOG
09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Have you tried Opti-Seal?

I have not

Kurt_s
09-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Gloss
Clarity
Protection
Durability
Ease of Application

Funny how things work out. I found AG when trying to figure out how to fix a bad airport wash and wax. I wonder how many of us found AG looking for a better way?
In case I forgot to say it before, dang your paint looks fine. :wow:
Do you overlayer UPGP with anythiing other than a detailer?

The French have an idiom, "Je ne c'est quoi," when they can't quite explain that "it" to which you refer. I think that we are all looking for our own "it" in the perfect LSP. I hope you found yours.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
09-09-2010, 08:39 PM
As feslope indicated, if his Zaino is in good shape, just do a good wash and put the UPGP right over it. It's a WOWA just like Z-CS is, which can be put right over the Z sealants. AFAIK the WOWA's (UPGP, OOS, and Z-CS) are all capable of being put over any base, whether it's sealant or wax.

CEE DOG
09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Funny how things work out. I found AG when trying to figure out how to fix a bad airport wash and wax. I wonder how many of us found AG looking for a better way?

Good point, I supsect a majority of the members here.

In case I forgot to say it before, dang your paint looks fine. :wow:

Thank you very much!!

Do you overlayer UPGP with anythiing other than a detailer?

I really love it with 3 coats and nothing else on it but recently I have been experimenting. Partly because of the possibilty that there are some things that Carnauba protects against that sealant wont and partly for fun and to see how it looks. I have tried Souveran over the top. Next up is Dodo Orange Crush, Dodo Banana Armor, Natty's Red, and DP Max Wax. One big thing I don't like about the wax on top is how much more dust sticks to it compared to the sealant. Sometimes I dry with Souveran spray wax, DG Aquawax, or Optimum Car wax as a drying aid. The rest of the time it's FK-425 these days.

The French have an idiom, "Je ne c'est quoi," when they can't quite explain that "it" to which you refer. I think that we are all looking for our own "it" in the perfect LSP. I hope you found yours.

Thanks!

Well said! I think I did find my favorite on the first try but bow that I'm hooked I have to keep playing!

Thank you!