PDA

View Full Version : Applying Wax Sun or Shade?

Pages : [1] 2

Allen Anderson
09-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Hey all is it not a good idea to apply a coat of wax on a hot day in the direct sunlight?

I've heard its not but then on other threads I see people talking about waiting cause its not sunny out?

Or does it not matter either way?

Thanks in advance.

ScottB
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM
some waxes can streak or become difficult to remove in direct sunlight. I prefer some shade when possible.

Allen Anderson
09-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks a lot.

BobbyG
09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
The sun generates allot of energy and can heat the surface to 160F. The darker the color the more heat it will absorb.

Most manufactures recommend that you apply their product in the shade when the surface is cool to the touch. Partial shade also works as long as the surface temp remains less than about 90 degrees so that the wax doesn't dry immediately.

JSFM35x
09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Shade allows for tghe most natural curing and also for the easiest removal. If the sun forces the top to dry and the botom never bonds its a waste of time as you don't get a good coat on the paint.

wytstang
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Or does it not matter either way?
The answer? Depends
Some waxes are bothered by a very hot surface whilst others (Poorboys or Clearkote for example) have no problems. If you have a wax you like yet streaks on a hot surface you can try applying it via machine. Spreading the wax (or sealant) via machine leaves a super thin coat helping to avoid streaking. At least it has helped my with my cars (white/Dark Blue), I live in a town home so I have zero shade to work in and this has helped.

Allen Anderson
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
So I ran out and bought some Megiuars Gold Class Carnuba wax.

Here's a couple befores.

http://www.infallible-info.com/img/b4car2.JPG

Passenger Side Panel

http://www.infallible-info.com/img/b4passpanel.JPG

Afters only hood and both front side panels are waxxed at this point.

http://www.infallible-info.com/img/aftercar.JPG

Passenger Side Panel

http://www.infallible-info.com/img/afterpaspanel.JPG

I think I might not have let it dry all the way. Would of taken more pictures got dark on my had to finish last half of car in the dark :-/

Got some of the water spots out, think maybe didn't let it dry enough? Also hood has a lot of little scratches probably need a clay bar?

I used Mike Phillips Break Open and Creep Out method from the how-to's and no I didn't get weird on anyone :) Thanks Mike!

ROMEO
09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
For the small scratches you would probably need to use a polish to get rid of them (Or a swirl remover), or depending on how dip they are you could hide them with a glaze. I don't think clay bar can help you with that.

Allen Anderson
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Right on. Thanks Romeo.

By the way when I said I might not of let it dry enough I mean the wax. Not water from the prewash just thought I should add that since I didn't really clarify. :nomore:

ROMEO
09-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Right on. Thanks Romeo.

By the way when I said I might not of let it dry enough I mean the wax. Not water from the prewash just thought I should add that since I didn't really clarify. :nomore:

I got that from your previous post :dblthumb2:

Allen Anderson
09-09-2010, 12:24 AM
I figured. I just over think things.

Tomorrow I'll take some pictures of the scratches get some advice on a good product or products to use in a new thread.

Thanks everyone.

MJT
09-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Is it dangerous to be compounding a car in the sun? Obviously waxing can cause streaking but interested to know the affects of the sun/heat when compounding using m105. Thanks.

af90
09-08-2013, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't apply wax in the sun just because it easily dries out and becomes difficult to buff off. If you have the shade use it

MJT there are multiple replies in the thread you created.

MJT
09-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Ok thanks!

mikesal57
09-09-2013, 09:15 AM
So I ran out and bought some Megiuars Gold Class Carnuba wax.

Good luck with paste wax....

I was cleaning up dried white residue for weeks :cry:

Try to stay away from seems and edges