PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Protectant Plus, surfaces to avoid?

lee1dew
09-08-2010, 02:16 PM
When using OPP, are there any interior surfaces that I should avoid? The instructions say it should be used on leather, vinyl, and trim, but what about plastics and LCD screens, rubber, wood trim, clear plastics (in front of gauges, for example), etc. I assume that glass and cloth should be avoided.

Has anyone tried using it around the house? I've got a leather couch that could probably use some UV protection...

svs
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I've actually used it on our leather couch and it came out looking really good! It wasn't greasy or slippery at all. It also has mild cleaners in it so some dirt came off the couch too, nice added bonus :xyxthumbs:

wytstang
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Not meant for cloth (including suede or suede like material), screens, clear plastic, and glass (a qd would work great on those items minus cloth of course).
Everything else game on, wood trim may or may not streak and if it does a qd.

lee1dew
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Would using it on clear plastic or screens actually cause damage or just streaking? Do these surfaces need any sort of protectant?

wytstang
09-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Just streaking and maybe (only a guess here) some cloudiness over a long period of time (on plastic not screen). They do not need any protectant but if you wanted to protect them a good window tint would help protect everything.

wytstang
09-08-2010, 10:54 PM
If you feel you need to use a protectant on plastic apparently 4 Star's Vinyle protectant also does plastic Four Star Ultimate Vinyl Protectant Spray (http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-ultimate-vinyl-protectant-spray.html)

FOUR STAR ULTIMATE VINYL PROTECTANT SPRAY is specially formulated using Polcharger™ polymers. Beautifies and protects vinyl and plastic from harmful ozone and UV rays which are known to cause premature fading and cracking. This non-greasy and safe formula contains no petroleum distillates which dry and destroy vinyl and plastics. Contains No Petroleum Distillates.

Never saw a need for it but then again all my cars have been tinted.