PDA

View Full Version : How to get embedded dirt off paint before polishing? (Just washing didn't work)

Pages : [1] 2

Silverstone
09-07-2010, 04:08 PM
My friends kid has a one year old Audi A4 (Black) that never got waxed and now has dirt on it that didn't all wash off with a strong concentration with Dawn. And we washed it well too.
I figure it can't be good to polish with that gritty stuff still on the paint so how do I get it off? Is there anything I can do besides just rewashing it several times?

WRAPT C5Z06
09-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Use a clay bar. :xyxthumbs:

Fly bye
09-07-2010, 04:18 PM

X2

HighEndDetail
09-07-2010, 04:19 PM

:iagree: Then the paint should not feel gritty any longer

Silverstone
09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
It's still pretty dirty, (I've never seen so much dirt left behind on such a new car) so isn't the clay going to drag the dirt across the paint? I think I'd have to fold the clay after every square foot of paint!

It's not just that it feels gritty, it's still dirty. You can see it. I tried re washing a spot and it just wouldn't come off! It's a shame too because it's such a gorgeous car.

Of course I'm going to clay it anyway before polishing but I was hoping there was a way to start with at least clean paint. Plus it's black (and not mine) so I'm a little scared of messing up the kids car since it's only the third car I've ever done and the others were white and gray. They're not as finicky as black.

Unless there's any more ideas I guess I'll just wash it a couple of times first and buy some extra clay.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
It's still pretty dirty, (I've never seen so much dirt left behind on such a new car) so isn't the clay going to drag the dirt across the paint? I think I'd have to fold the clay after every square foot of paint!
Of course I'm going to clay it anyway before polishing but I was hoping there was a way to start with at least clean paint. Plus it's black (and not mine) so I'm a little scared of messing up the kids car since it's only the third car I've ever done and the others were white and gray. They're not as finicky as black.

Unless there's any more ideas I guess I'll just wash it a couple of times first and buy some extra clay.
Try a paint safe APC or Stoners Tarminator.

Silverstone
09-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Try a paint safe APC or Stoners Tarminator.

Recommendations for a paint safe APC?

WRAPT C5Z06
09-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Recommendations for a paint safe APC?
Optimum Power Clean or P21 Total Auto Wash. I like OPC because you can use it on the interior as well. It's very versatile.

DARK HORSE
09-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I would recommend trying P21S Total Auto Wash. It is VERY safe and VERY effective. Rinse the vehicle and spray P21S TAW onto the paint surface. Let it dwell for a few minutes (but don't let it dry on the paint). Then wash and rinse as usual. It will give you a squeeky clean surface ready for claying. Also it can be diluted and used on interior surfaces if so desired, (but I don't see any reason for that, there are other products better suited and less expensive for interior)...

WRAPT C5Z06
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Also it can be diluted and used on interior surfaces if so desired, (but I don't see any reason for that, there are other products better suited and less expensive for interior)...
Interesting, Tad. I've only used P21S TAW(sample) on the exterior. After reading the description from AG, it doesn't mention anything about interior surfaces. If you read OPC's description, it clearly states you can use it on interior surfaces as well. Just a thought. :xyxthumbs:

DARK HORSE
09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Interesting, Tad. I've only used P21S TAW(sample) on the exterior. After reading the description from AG, it doesn't mention anything about interior surfaces. If you read OPC's description, it clearly states you can use it on interior surfaces as well. Just a thought. :xyxthumbs:

TAW can be used on interior surfaces, just like any other APC (hence the name, Total Auto Wash). But like I said; why? There are many other products less expensive, and better suited for interior use:props:

Mike Phillips
09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
My friends kid has a one year old Audi A4 (Black) that never got waxed and now has dirt on it that didn't all wash off with a strong concentration with Dawn.

And we washed it well too.

The first question going through my mind is what was the car exposed to?

Where is it parked during the week? Maybe and industrial complex? Maybe at the end of a major airport runway?

Normal dirt washes off. This doesn't sound like normal dirt.

You could try massaging it off with a paint cleaner but claying is the normal route...

Any scratches instilled before, during or after claying could be and should be machine polished out...

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
(hence the name, Total Auto Wash). But like I said; why?
The name total auto wash does make total sense(pun intended), it's just strange how in the description it never mentions interior. I think a diluted APC is very effective to use on interior panels. :)

DARK HORSE
09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
The name total auto wash does make total sense(pun intended), it's just strange how in the description it never mentions interior. I think a diluted APC is very effective to use on interior panels. :)

You are correct it is, especially if the panels are real dirty. I rarely work on vehicles that the panels are that dirty. For a real treat try TAW on those same panels. You will be amazed at how clean they become with how little effort, and the fresh clean orange smell is :props:

Old Tiger
09-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Do you have access to a pressure washer? If not , I know this is akin to blasphemy here, but a coin operated pressure car wash couldnt hurt. I havent tried P21S TAW , but I am happy with OPC like Mark is. M104+ is also good.