PDA

View Full Version : Applying product too thin or just right?

D_Nyholm
09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I have been reading over and over that you are to apply product in nice thin, even coats. It makes perfect sense and I have been doing that ever since my Zaino days back in 2003. I remember reading on the forums when people are saying they are getting 10 applications for a bottle of Zaino, i was getting 20-30. Now I am using Souveran Paste wax on my car. I was a little scared when i first purchased it since it states that you will get about 30 applications for $85. I have now had the Souveran for 2 years and used it well over 20 times and i have about 3/4 of a jar left. Now, i look at this as a good thing, but I also look at it as, what am i doing wrong? I am certain that I am getting full coverage as you can see the 'wet' look as you smear the product on the paint. Basically, my procedure is as follows:
Place applicator pad in jar and spin the jar 1-2 full turns to get product on the pad
wipe on a section of car about the size of 1/2 hood
continue around car.

I've actually tried putting MORE product on to see what the difference would be and the only difference i've noticed is it is harder to remove. It would now take multiple passes of the MF cloth to remove all the excess product and I had more chance of leaving some wax on the car instead of removing it in one to two passes of the towel.

As another point, i also recieved a 2 oz. sample of Wolfgang Sealant. I was able to get 4 FULL applications out of the bottle and still have about 1/8 of the bottle left!!!

Has anyone else made sure they use such thin layers that thier products seem to have an endless supply?

BobbyG
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I'd take these estimates with a grain of salt. The manufactures can't possibly take into account all the valuable necessary to accurately predict the number of vehicles a container of product will cover.

In almost every case I've seen, over application if the primary cause of issues. Thinks of it another way; how thick is the protective layer once the wax hazes and is buffed off. A thin coat is all that's needed and we know what the surface looks like when the proper amounts applied.

While I have no way to be certain, if the coverage is antiquate then gloss, slickness and beading should be your gage.

CEE DOG
09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Cool thread I thought...
My theory is that the manufacturer has an amount that they assume people use. In other words they assume people use more then they should which is usually true. They don't want customers coming back saying "Hey! there was only 15 applications!" So they take the amount they came up with that people are using and use that to estimate the qty of apps.

To me the correct amount is the thinnest you can apply while still having complete coverage and without having to press so hard on your applicator that you feel uneasy.

If you cover the paint then no matter how thin you made it the gloss etc is going to be as good as it gets because of course no matter how thin you make it you are still going to remove another 90% or whatever % you want to say that is.... It's most of it.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I have light metallic paint which makes it very hard to see anything on the paint all. It's hard to determine "thin" when you're basically waxing blindly(same with polishing). I probably over apply all the time, but it makes me feel more comfortable rather than putting it on too "thin". :dblthumb2:

JSFM35x
09-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Remember, anything you see (LSP) haze up on the paint is waste. The only thing that adheres to the paint us under the haze.

Thin you win!

Dr Oldz
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
THIN THIN THIN!!!! Thin is good! Sounds to me that u are doing just fine as long as u feel u are getting the proper coverage! If the vehicle beads properly then ur are doing fine! I personally get a lot of applications out of collinite 915...guesstimating 50 or so! And to add to your confidence, I just did a GMC Denali with a sample of Pinnacle Liquid and still have 3/4 of the bottle left! (BTW I was very impressed with the liquid....cant wait to see the durability of it)

ROMEO
09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
It is funny that I see this tread now, I just finished the first stage of detailing my Jeep Commander and as I was applying the glaze, and paint sealer I was wondering the whole time if I was using enough product, but after seen what you guys are saying, I feel a lot better now...

CEE DOG
09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I have light metallic paint which makes it very hard to see anything on the paint all. It's hard to determine "thin" when you're basically waxing blindly(same with polishing). I probably over apply all the time, but it makes me feel more comfortable rather than putting it on too "thin". :dblthumb2:

Mark, after that darn metallic silver/green van I did last weekend I know exactly what you mean. That is NOT fun!!! Even with an led light strapped to my head, one eye closed, and sticking my face within an inch of the paint I could only see it by slowly moving my head back and forth.

3Guy
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Cool thread I thought...
My theory is that the manufacturer has an amount that they assume people use. In other words they assume people use more then they should which is usually true. They don't want customers coming back saying "Hey! there was only 15 applications!" So they take the amount they came up with that people are using and use that to estimate the qty of apps.

To me the correct amount is the thinnest you can apply while still having complete coverage and without having to press so hard on your applicator that you feel uneasy.

If you cover the paint then no matter how thin you made it the gloss etc is going to be as good as it gets because of course no matter how thin you make it you are still going to remove another 90% or whatever % you want to say that is.... It's most of it.

:iagree:

I think this is a case where the manufacturer would rather under promise and over deliver - good marketing. If the manufacturer says you get 15 applications, and you get 20, you're happy! If the manufacturer says you get 15 applications, and you get 10, you're not so happy!

tommythecat
09-08-2010, 01:05 AM
The manufacturer also has to take into account that different people have different size vehicles. You will obviously get fewer applications on a huge SUV than you will on a Yugo. ;)