PDA

View Full Version : 3M Chip Protect

WAMDX
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I did attempt a search for my question but didn't find anything so please forgive me if this is in fact answered somewhere.

I just bought a brand new 2010 MDX (Black/Black) and I have the Chip Protect product installed on the front of the hood, headlights, mirrors, under door handles and on top of the rear bumper. I want to use a clay bar as a part of the detailing process and before I do, I want to be certain that I do things right in order to not screw up the clear film.

The car is about 2 months old and with the rain here in the PNW, it's time for a thorough detail job but before I start, I'd like some advise on how to do thing so I don't damage the chip protect installation.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all of the helpful articles and demos on this site. Truly educational!

Thanks in advance...

forrest@mothers
09-07-2010, 04:48 PM
You can clay the film - but keep in mind it's very soft. Make sure you use plenty of clay bar lubricant and little pressure. Any marring you put in the film can easily be polished out.

Also, be careful near the edge of the film when claying so you don't peel it away from the paint surface.

WAMDX
09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
You can clay the film - but keep in mind it's very soft. Make sure you use plenty of clay bar lubricant and little pressure. Any marring you put in the film can easily be polished out.

Also, be careful near the edge of the film when claying so you don't peel it away from the paint surface.

Thanks... Is there a way for me to protect the edge so that I don't go over it? I've seen what looks like masking tape used but I didn't want to use that unless I was sure.. Maybe the best bet it to just wash it and leave it alone by only claying areas above the edge of the film and around...

Thanks again,

forrest@mothers
09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
If you run the clay the same direction as the edge, and not across the edge, it'll be fine.

Even if the clay is half on the paint and half on the film, as long as it runs the same direction you'll have no issues.

jsgntulok
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I recommend using masking tape at the edges of the protective film. It seems that no matter how careful I am with the clay, I always manage to have it rub off at the edge of the film and it is a real mess to clean off. I mask the edges every time now when I clay and polish.

WAMDX
09-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I recommend using masking tape at the edges of the protective film. It seems that no matter how careful I am with the clay, I always manage to have it rub off at the edge of the film and it is a real mess to clean off. I mask the edges every time now when I clay and polish.

Cool. Any particular place I should buy the tape from or anything found at a Home Depot or Lowes?

Thanks,

jpegs13
09-08-2010, 12:01 AM
You can get the right tape here at AG:
Search Result (http://www.autogeek.net/searchresult.html?catalog=autogeek&query=tape&x=49&y=19)

WAMDX
09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
You can get the right tape here at AG:
Search Result (http://www.autogeek.net/searchresult.html?catalog=autogeek&query=tape&x=49&y=19)

Thank you. I think I am going broke spending money with AG. :)

JSFM35x
09-08-2010, 04:31 AM
Make sure you get your wash process perfect before you polish the truck. I can tell you Acura/honda black is soft and will re-swirl is you wash incorrectly. Do sone research here first. Claying will most likly mar the paint even if ever so slightly. On your car it can show up in the sun.

Black is not a color...its a full time job! (as posted by another member on a different forum

)
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I did attempt a search for my question but didn't find anything so please forgive me if this is in fact answered somewhere.

I just bought a brand new 2010 MDX (Black/Black) and I have the Chip Protect product installed on the front of the hood, headlights, mirrors, under door handles and on top of the rear bumper. I want to use a clay bar as a part of the detailing process and before I do, I want to be certain that I do things right in order to not screw up the clear film.

The car is about 2 months old and with the rain here in the PNW, it's time for a thorough detail job but before I start, I'd like some advise on how to do thing so I don't damage the chip protect installation.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all of the helpful articles and demos on this site. Truly educational!

Thanks in advance...

BobbyG
09-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Thank you. I think I am going broke spending money with AG. :)

I think it's a conspiracy, the same things happening to me! :laughing:

WAMDX
09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Make sure you get your wash process perfect before you polish the truck. I can tell you Acura/honda black is soft and will re-swirl is you wash incorrectly. Do sone research here first. Claying will most likly mar the paint even if ever so slightly. On your car it can show up in the sun.

Black is not a color...its a full time job! (as posted by another member on a different forum

)

Good advise. Any particular section I should be reading regarding the wash process? Didn't know about the Acura paint being soft so I want to be sure I do this right. Thanks again..