PDA

View Full Version : How to charge for buff/paint correction only

cadd
09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I nornally charge my customers for normal details, pending on type of vehicle. As I have a basic idea how long it will take. But when a customer simply wants their car buffed out and paint correction, should I just charge by the hour? and how much per hour should I be charging? I am not "a professional detailer", but simply do some small time detailing from my home. So I know I shouldnt be charging as much as a prof. detailer would, but I also dont want to under sell my self either.

mcpp66
09-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm responding in order to subscribe to this thread. I'm in a similar situation and would like to know the answer.

JonMiles
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Whenever you are going to buff out an entire car, you will not be able to tell exactly how long it will take you. There is always a chance you will run into obstacles like rids hidden under swirls or a rock scratch behind the back wheels. For paint correction I normally charge by the hour. $40 an hour is my going rate and before starting I like to find out what the owner expect in terms of correction and how much they would like to spend on the top end. I figure in 4 hours I can get 75% correction on most cars, in 6 about 90% and if the time is unlimited and price is unlimited higher %. So if i figure any car is going to take 4 hours then I make 160 or more per car. This is also accounting for the economic position of most my customers. If your customers are wealthy and not penny pinchers you can charge more and they will pay for it. Just make sure your work is worth the price.

cadd
09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks Jon....so I figure I would be safe probably charging around $25-$30 an hour.

JonMiles
09-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Its judgement call, have to look at time, products used, machines used, quality and experience of detailer, insurance if you have it, travel etc. Starting out as an in home detailer 25-30 isn't bad to get you by.

SATMAN40
09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
So if I make/save my money I will be charged more, that is not how to get business, it will get you a bad rep. treat and charge everyone the same..rich people get poor, and poor people do get rich, they all have friends, and will talk about you and your prices.

4 hours at $40. per hour does not make you $160, if you are doing this under a shade tree you will still have expenses.

In order to make $160 and have a business building you will need to take in $320 and that is subject to flexible conditions.

You would be better off charging a little more and giving a little extra,

Quality and Service is remember.

Most of us know a place where we can get it done cheaper, but we will go to the one who give the best service..at least I like to think so...

Nothing personal here, just a business decision many years ago.