PDA

View Full Version : Management salary????

Pages : [1] 2

MR.Magic
09-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I have been working for a dealership now for 3 years and I have put the entire detailing department together from the ground up. Last week (being tired of the headaches) I turned in my two week notice. NOW they gave me an offer to stay, however I would like to know what is a fair salary for a manager in charge of a department the details for 3 different dealerships but under one company if that makes since....
Feed back please

C. Charles Hahn
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
How many people do you have reporting to you, how many cars does your department deal with per day, and what type of dealerships are these (what franchises are they)? Also, what work do you personally do in your management role and how many hours do you work per week?

All of these things will factor into what you're realistically worth in that position.

MR.Magic
09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
well I now have 6 detailers that but out 2-3 cars a day. We have Lexus Toyota, and Honda I don't want to say What Franchise or company I work for how ever if you wanted I could send you a PM I have made great money but now moving over to the managment side I feel I should make more then I did as a detailers... right?

MR.Magic
09-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Forgot some other points... I work 50+ hours each week and that will not change. I will be in charge of every aspect of the detailing department. Getting products, hire/fire employees... inspecting cars working with all the other departments, sales service parts etc. Doing some of the detailing and or fixing issues that my detailers may or may not be able to do, such as wet sanding rock chip repair. I could keep going I am sure but this is a brief over view...

RTexasF
09-06-2010, 02:30 PM
I have been working for a dealership now for 3 years and I have put the entire detailing department together from the ground up. Last week (being tired of the headaches) I turned in my two week notice. NOW they gave me an offer to stay, however I would like to know what is a fair salary for a manager in charge of a department the details for 3 different dealerships but under one company if that makes since....
Feed back please

You were leaving because you were tired of the headaches but you're going from the frying pan to the fire? Your headaches will increase exponentially as management. I'd take my best year of earnings there and double or triple it as a starting point but keep in mind that sometimes the money just ain't worth it. If you've had it with them then more $$$$ only extends the agony. If you plan to stay there make it well worth your while.

Cliffnopus
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I would think it also depends greatly on what part of the country you are in. For instance a detailer in New York City would make much more than a detailer in Wisconson. (also goes for other work besides detailing)

Cliff

cooksnj
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
You were leaving because you were tired of the headaches but you're going from the frying pan to the fire? Your headaches will increase exponentially as management. I'd take my best year of earnings there and double or triple it as a starting point but keep in mind that sometimes the money just ain't worth it. If you've had it with them then more $$$$ only extends the agony. If you plan to stay there make it well worth your while.

very well said. i agree. you have a big decision to make if they triple your pay. it would be hard to walk away in these times.

Fly bye
09-06-2010, 03:59 PM
A living wage would be worth it.

RTexasF
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
A living wage would be worth it.

He has already said he made "great money" as a detailer, why settle for a living wage as management? Makes no sense to me at all.

Been there, done that. If you are paid a salary as management that previous 50 hour week can become a great deal longer such as........inventory, management meetings, HR meetings, customers that want to speak to "management". Don't fool yourself. Make them pay or walk away. They will damn sure take advantage of you whenever possible. The fact that they are making an offer means they are in a bind if he leaves.....THAT should be taken advantage of. Settling for less than one is worth does not contribute to getting ahead.

Shade Tree
09-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Seriously??

OP doesn't want to give the dealer a reason for the OP to leave, right? If I had an employee asking for that amount (even during the inevitable wage haggling) I'd look at him or her & want to know why they think they're worth that price and be able to back it up.

OP mentioned 2-3 cars per day which would tell me that they aren't THAT busy.
OP also stated that he's currently working 50+ hours per week. Tripling or even doubling past earnings as a starting point is going to allow the dealer to let the OP walk out the door without a second thought. Is the OP bringing work to the dealer or is the dealer selling an in-house service that the OP has been hired to provide? Toyota, Lexus and Honda owners are not the "high end detail" type of owners anyway.

OP also stated that he's currently working 50+ hours per week. OP is most likely making some overtime here, right? The overtime disappears (in most circumstances) when an employee migrates to salary rate of pay. In the OP's case; I would look for a percentage of a total value for each detail that is up sold to the customer as an additional incentive for the OP. Maybe base the salary rate (higher rate contingent on level of volume increases or level of customer satisfaction) with monthly bonuses as an option.
The dealer obviously recognizes the fact that they need this guy to stay with the detailing department. That said, they're also going to look at the value he has brought to the dealership(s) in regards to revenue. Salaried employees can expect at the least a 50 hour work week without overtime and with more headaches (as stated above).

Long & short of it?

OP needs to be able to justify the wage he asks for rather than picking a starting point. The upper management will respect that and the OP will come across as being a competent & integral person within their organization.
OP needs to have a game plan ready & work with the fact that the dealer asks him to stay. This gives the OP the reigns, as it were.

OP:
Sell yourself and your experience in a way that your employer sees nothing but reasons to retain you, but without being overly confident about it. :xyxthumbs:

JohnHenry
09-06-2010, 05:04 PM
FWIW:

DO NOT quit a job right now until you have another one. You may be the best detailer in three states; BUT, times are very tough. They don't turn your lights off if you can't pay for your regular monthly car detail. Clients' discretionary income is at a minimum. The national unemployment rate is 9.6% today. In my county, it's 13%+.

Regarding your salary question, everything at a car dealership works on a percentage basis... obviously the sales staff, but also service, finance, parts, etc.

I would suggest that you calculate the number of details annually, times the average charge, minus the detail department overhead (hourly rate for detailers, chemicals, equipment, etc.) That will give you a ballpark lump sum to give some perspective on what kind of money the dealership is working with. You'll be closer to making a reasonable salary request. Keep in mind... the detailing department is a profit center.

When you discuss your salary + commission compensation package, start by knocking their socks off with your great ideas to increase detailing revenue. Then deliver!

(PM me if you'd like to discuss this. Be happy to help any way I can.)

Best of luck!

jpegs13
09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
As John Henry said, unemployment is at record numbers. Don't cut your nose to spite your face. Figure out what you need to live COMFORTABLY on, and go from there. A salary is a good thing. It will take you through the high and lows of car sales. AFTER you've demonstrated your leadership skills, ask for more money. Security ain't a bad thing.

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Since being a service manager in a dealership for years I am guessing the wash bay is run by service or at least mine were. If this is the case you are not going make a ton of money running a dealership wash bay. Like a few others I would suggest not quitting till you get a new job otherwise you might be making a lot less then you are presently. Good luck with trying to get a decent raise.

JohnHenry
09-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Absolutely right, Dana.

Since he mentioned wetsanding though, I based my advice on the premise that the dealership group has a true detailing department. Depending on the metropolitan area, and given the career path of service, sales, etc., it could be a good gig for him.

SATMAN40
09-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Your salary will be based on performance and production, management is like a sales job you will need to bring in new work, and take a kick for every bad job..or person in the place...

1 out of 8 people are out of work, sounds like you have done a good job, now if you look at the owner he get paid LAST, and many times not at all..how many years do you think it took him to find out he was last in line for a pay check...

Management is not all it is cracked up to be, your 50 hours can be 80 plus with a straight salary..