PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss binding issues after XMT polishing.

Whitethunder46
11-20-2006, 08:56 PM
To the point: I've heard after polishing with any compounds (we'll use XMT as example) that some sealants (such as Duragloss #111 or #105) will not necessarily bond correctly to a freshly polished surface?
The remedy was could be a 50/50 water/alcohol? mix (some kind of mix, not sure), Klasse AIO, or a decent Quick Detailer. This would form a good base and bonding surface for the aboved sealants.

Any truth on this?

Whitethunder46
11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Anybody know anything on this?

Al-53
11-21-2006, 11:09 AM
If you use the Bonding agent 601 it will clean the oils off....you could do a wipedown with Fast Clean and Shine also..it will remove oils....I do not know what oils XMT uses to lubricate with..but I have gone from a polish like 3M or menzerna or Meg's right to 105 or 111 and never had a bonding issue...with the Duragloss products..I have never had any issues in it bonding...

I have done alot of cars and went from polish to sealant..and they have no issues..and look great...

even with their SMR and PC_2 both buffing polishes DG says you can go right to sealant after...

Hope this helps

Al

ryandamartini
11-21-2006, 11:11 AM
I dont think there are any issues... DG 105 has been on moms volvo for 4 months and still looks the same the day I applied it.

If you have any doubts, use DG 101 on a white pad and you can make sure there are no bonding issues.

101 is sort of like AIO, but lays down better protection. Use it on a white pad, firm pressure, and it will clean your paint very nicely while laying down a nice base for 105 or 111 to be applied to.

-Ryan

Whitethunder46
11-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the help. What about spraying a QD that contains polymers instead of an AIO, would this also help with bonding? Or Would it hurt it?

ryandamartini
11-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the help. What about spraying a QD that contains polymers instead of an AIO, would this also help with bonding? Or Would it hurt it?

Just lay down AIO or duragloss 101 first if your unsure about it. Your getting too much into this.

Wash->Clay->Polish->Seal->Wax

After prep is done, if you want, put down 101 via PC or Klasse AIO and put on 105. Then proceed to top with your wax of choice if you wish.

-ryan