PDA

View Full Version : 1st detail and now have ??????

MMXBenz
09-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I bought through AG a new Porter Cable along with Wolfgang total swirl removal kit and Fuzion wax. I just got done with the washing, clay bar, total swirl remover, finishing glaze and then deep gloss sealant. I have noticed that from the first step, there was a lot of white dust residue. Is this normal? Now that I have removed the deep gloss sealant, it seems very difficult to get the "dust" off. I am thinking of using the detail spritz to remove it but want to wait for the 12 hour cure time and then I will try that before applying the Fuzion wax.

Bunky
09-06-2010, 06:25 AM
How do you know it was from the first polish step? Did you notice it and decided to continue? Some polishes can dust especially if you use to much, do not clean pad enough, or over work it.

BobbyG
09-06-2010, 06:45 AM
I bought through AG a new Porter Cable along with Wolfgang total swirl removal kit and Fuzion wax. I just got done with the washing, clay bar, total swirl remover, finishing glaze and then deep gloss sealant. I have noticed that from the first step, there was a lot of white dust residue. Is this normal? Now that I have removed the deep gloss sealant, it seems very difficult to get the "dust" off. I am thinking of using the detail spritz to remove it but want to wait for the 12 hour cure time and then I will try that before applying the Fuzion wax.

I suspect that the dust came from the total swirl remover. This is a polish and when dry can result in a little powder residue.

I'm not clear on your point; "Now that I have removed the deep gloss sealant, it seems very difficult to get the dust off". Is the dust stuck to the finish beneath it?

I would have tried the spritz on a small section to see if it would help with your situation.

Dubbin1
09-06-2010, 10:44 AM
You should have washed it to remove the polishing dust before applying the LSP.

Stype4life
09-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Mike tapes the car around the trim, Next time try that. Im in the same boat as you right now.

CEE DOG
09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
You have to remove all the polish and dust before you seal or wax.

Edit: Oh, did you mean on the rubber and vinyl? As stated by above: tape off before or wash after

MMXBenz
09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
You have to remove all the polish and dust before you seal or wax.

After the cure time for the Wolfgang sealant, I went over the entire car with the instant detail spritz and it cleaned it up.

I was strange that the microfiber towels would only push the residue/dust around and would not clean it up, only spraying it took it off.

Then I applied a coat of Fuzion to the car.

sharpcard
09-08-2010, 02:03 AM
I received my new flex/wolfgang kit last week and also experienced some white residue while using the total swirl remover. It only happened when I was doing the roof. I wasn't sure if it was the pad,if I was working it too long, or doing too large of a section (or all three) but it was drying out much faster than it had been when doing the hood or deck lid.

I changed pads and did smaller sections on the roof and didn't have any more problems. I was probably using too much polish also, I used almost half a bottle of TSR and went through five pads (blue hydro-techs) on a small car. I did wash and dry the car before doing the finishing glaze and again before applying the sealant.

PAR Detailing
09-08-2010, 05:07 AM
I changed pads and did smaller sections on the roof and didn't have any more problems. I was probably using too much polish also, I used almost half a bottle of TSR and went through five pads (blue hydro-techs) on a small car. I did wash and dry the car before doing the finishing glaze and again before applying the sealant.

How big was the bottle of TSR?

sharpcard
09-08-2010, 09:51 AM
How big was the bottle of TSR?

It was an 8 oz. bottle.