PDA

View Full Version : Need help and advice on a Newer Vehicle's paint job...

anthonydv07
09-05-2010, 12:34 AM
I purchased my 2010 Kia Forte in August of last year. I have never waxed my car before, thus, started noticing the surface of the hood not being as smooth as it used to be. I just recently ordered a “pinnacle ultra poly-clay” kit (the one with the micro-towel and lubricant) from the site and I’m in the process of ordering more things. My questions are as follows:

1. There is nothing wrong w/ my car’s paint or clear coat (It looks really shinny after washing). It just feels rough when I dry it with my chamois. Will claying be enough to take care of this roughness? Or do I need to use a “Pre-wax Cleansing Polish”. I remember reading somewhere that if the surface is good (no water marks or anything); I should NOT proceed with this step. I’ve already had the car for a year and I’m starting to wonder whether or not claying will be enough… If I do need to use a cleaning wax, which one is the least abrasive and best recommended for new vehicles?

2. Once I finish claying (and polishing if required) I will seal the paint with a paint sealant and wait 8-12 hours before I top it off with carnauba wax. There are way too many choices of sealants… I do not know which one pick!!! Which one is the best for beginners? I am no pro, so I will be using a Radom orbital buffer for this step (stop me now If I should do it by hand).

3. Once I finish everything, and wash my car the next week, do I start from scratch again? Do I re-clay, polish, seal, wax again? Or do I use a quick wax of some type? Help!

PS: I've read many articles on here and I must say there is a lot of information useful information.

Phinox
09-05-2010, 01:32 AM
As far as sealant goes you can't go wrong with DP poli coat.

Da Fats
09-05-2010, 05:48 AM
No the next week you wont need to do anything but wash and dry and you can use a QD'r like FK 425 to aid in drying just spray it on after sheeting the water off with an open hose (to remove as much as possible) and blot/wipe her dry.

I like DP policoat but the consistency is a little bit different then the other options... just takes a little practice to figure out how much to use.

If your car is a year old I'd place money on it having some marring... Look at it in the sunlight to examine for swirls or scratches when its clean and dry with any wax on it and you might be surprised.

i learned the hard way... do not plan on claying a dark color car if you do not plan on polishing that dark colored car... Claying will cause some very fine scratches to show up (although I have yet to test poly-clay) I have had 2 different bars on 2 different cars give me marring in the direction I clayed. Others have told me this information when I asked about it.

BobbyG
09-05-2010, 05:52 AM
I posed this over in your introduction but since there's a separate thread...

Clay the finish to remove any embedded particles. Use a fine clay and a detail spray to lightly go over the entire finish.

Even though it's new, the finish can have minor defects like swirls and micro marring. While you probably don't need a fill paint correction a nice polish like Wolfgang Swirl Remover or Menzerna PO203 will really bring out a nice gloss.

Either of these polishes can be used on a Lake Country white or green pad. Set the speed setting on your DA polisher to about 5 and work them in watching doing it's job. To bump the gloss up slightly use Menzerna PO85RD and a gray pad.

Once satisfied, clean the surface with IPA or Mineral Spirits to remove any oils left from polishing.

Apply a sealer such as Wolfgang Paint Sealer or Menzerna Power Lock

Apply your favorite wax

Using a detail spray in between washes is a great idea and I like to spray on a coat of Optimum Spray Car Wax to keep the finish brilliant..

cadd
09-05-2010, 11:04 PM
You can also use the old " tried and trued " method of putting a zip lock bag over your hand and feeling the paint. If it is rough and gritty feeling, you definately should clay the vehicle

WRAPT C5Z06
09-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey Anthony, you're not far from me in whittier. I can always meet up with you, look at your paint, and answer any questions you might have. :dblthumb2: PM if you're interested.

Shane731
09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg