PDA

View Full Version : Steam Washing

AeroCleanse
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I have a small steam cleaner that I have been using on the interior only, max pressure is 75psi (sorry no idea how many bar that is). I have been testing its ability to wash the exterior as well.

Using the spray and wipe technique I have been seeing all over the youtube's, I have had great results. Well once I found a more absorbent microfiber towel. I think washing the wheels with ONR might be faster.

I do think the next steam machine I get will need to have a larger boiler and / or continuous fill, as I think doing the inside and outside of one car might be enough to empty the boiler. Not doing only washes all day I'm not sure if this is going to become an issue or if I'll just need to fill it before each use.

For me I think steam cleaning is going to be the way of the future.

longdx
09-04-2010, 03:44 PM
In a short answer, I'm not sure. I have seen similar videos where steam cleaning is used and it is intriguing. I like the idea of using very little water. There will be naysayers, but these may be the same people who frowned upon ONR rinseless washes, and/or a completely waterless wash. If you plan on doing more than one car per day, then a better commercial steamer is the way to go. If it is just for your vehicles, than try to find a steamer that has a stainless steel water container and a pretty decent size boiler. That will allow for the steam to stay steady and strong for longer period of time.

AeroCleanse
09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't have any problems with the flow of steam, I just have to watch the amount of water of in the boiler. I agree, I better steamer would be nice, just have to save up for it. Its not just for my vehicles, but I practice new techniques on my own stuff before working on customer cars.

Phinox
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
75 PSI is just a bit over 5 bars, atmospheric pressure being 14.7 at sea level

i like the idea of using steam to clean things, Works well on engines to remove oil and grease and such.

AeroCleanse
09-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I do like the fact its fast and uses hardly any water. No mess doesn't hurt either.

NorthernVaBMW
09-04-2010, 07:17 PM
One thing that would worry me is that heat softens paint and makes it more susceptible to scratching and damage from abrasives. So if the steam process involves any type of contact with the paint during or after (like wiping it down), I would be very careful. And you can probably count on steam to ruin wax and paint protection, so it probably would need a new coat.

Bullitt AK
09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
i dont feel comfortable using my steamer to clean my paint not because of the heat but because of the lack of lubricity...i dont think the paint would get hot enough to cause any damage if you keep moving over it

AeroCleanse
09-04-2010, 08:56 PM
On the two cars I have tested it on so far (a new car with whatever junk the dealer "waxes with") and my own that has Aquartz protection, I have not seen any scratches on the finish.

As for the lack of lubricity issue, its the same as using a microfiber to dry your car with.

Bullitt AK
09-05-2010, 04:54 PM
As for the lack of lubricity issue, its the same as using a microfiber to dry your car with.

sure, but the car is free of contaminants if you're drying...effectively all you are doing is wiping the dirt off with water if you use a steamer...QDing or washing a car using only water is something i would never do personally.

for a car that has protection maybe it would not cause any marring or scratches but at the same time i am sure it would harm the durability of the surface protection so to me there is no point

AeroCleanse
09-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Steam will remove wax, not sure about paint sealant. But if I am using wax I always re-wax after I am done.