PDA

View Full Version : What's the next step?

Fly5465
09-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I have an old 1965 pickup that is Tan in color. It still has the original paint (getting a little thin in spots ) Anyway about a year ago I did the following and I need to know what I should do now, a year later.

Last year I......

1) I washed it
2) Clay Bar-ed the whole pickup
3) Used Meguiars #105 with a cyclo polisher & Yellow foam pad
4) Used Meguiars #205 with a Cyclo polisher & Green foam pad
5) Put 2 coats of "Collinite's #245" liquid wax on the truck.

It came out looking nice!

It is rarely driven and sits inside the garage 100% of the time. I'm getting ready for a show and want to spruce it up again. How much should I do again?

I want to put a fresh coat of the same wax, but do I need to clay it again? I dont think I need to use the Meguars compounds again??

Should i just wash it then apply the "Collinite's 245" over the old wax job?

Would it be ok to Clay bar it again, then re-wax?

Thanks for any help.

Dale - AZ

Old Tiger
09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
I would think that if its garaged and it doesnt feel rough, a wash & wax would suffice. dont abrate the paint if its getting thin.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey whats up Dale welcome to AG. I'm from Az too, over in gilbert.

Id agree at washing it, feel it to see if it needs claying (which i doubt since its your garage baby). If it does, i'd just spot clay it and not go over the whole thing again.

I would think that all the old wax has faded away. I surely dont think 105 is necessary at all...205 i'm not really sure of if you need it or not either...again since it hasnt seen the outside its probably still ok...but if you wanted to do a test spot and see if you see any big difference and THEN decide if it needs polishing or not, that might not be a bad idea.

With it being a 65' with original single stage paint, what might really make it pop is putting something on it like Megs #7 glaze. Single stage paint really drinks it up and it can really give the paint back some color that just waxing wouldnt.

Mike Phillips has a write up on here about #7 with single stage, im sure if you put it in the search bar it will come up...gives some good advice and explination as to why it helps so much.

After that then you could wax it and go show her off :).

If you dont want to do all that...wash,wax and roll on out of there!

Where/when is the car show you going to...i might swing by :).

Good luck!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Heres the link i was referring to http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

Its a longggg write up but very good one...you might not have to read the whole thing but if you have a little extra time on your hands its worth it...hope it helps.

Mike Phillips
09-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I have an old 1965 pickup that is Tan in color. It still has the original paint (getting a little thin in spots )

My Dad had a 1965 Ford 3/4 Ton Truck, 2-wheel drive with the Custom Cab. He had a custom paint job and custom interior with most everything inside the cab chromed...

I started driving it when I was 15 and have a lot of great memories with that truck...

It is rarely driven and sits inside the garage 100% of the time. I'm getting ready for a show and want to spruce it up again. How much should I do again?

Feel the paint with your clean hand, it should feel glassy, if not maybe something i the air landed on the paint?

On hot days tree sap mist is emitted into the air and can get on everything...

If it feels smooth like glass then skip claying..

I want to put a fresh coat of the same wax, but do I need to clay it again? I dont think I need to use the Meguiar's compounds again??

Should i just wash it then apply the "Collinite's 245" over the old wax job?

Would it be ok to Clay bar it again, then re-wax?

Thanks for any help.

Dale - AZ

If it feels smooth then you can simply wash the truck or wipe the paint clean with a spray detailer and then re-wax.

If it were me and the paint is still smooth and clean I would probably just re-wax it but I would machine apply the wax... machine polishing has a smoothing effect and gloss comes from smoothness...

Anytime you do get back to a compounding or polishing step, after the polishing but before waxing, rub the paint out with an application of the #7 Show Car Glaze... you can machine apply with the Cyclo and some polishing pads... finishing pads will be too soft and gushy...

You never mentioned whether this is a Ford, Chevy or Dodge? Or International? Or???

:)

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-04-2010, 06:28 PM
My Dad had a 1965 Ford 3/4 Ton Truck, 2-wheel drive with the Custom Cab. He had a custom paint job and custom interior with most everything inside the cab chromed...

I started driving it when I was 15 and have a lot of great memories with that truck...

Feel the paint with your clean hand, it should feel glassy, if not maybe something i the air landed on the paint?

On hot days tree sap mist is emitted into the air and can get on everything...

If it feels smooth like glass then skip claying..

If it feels smooth then you can simply wash the truck or wipe the paint clean with a spray detailer and then re-wax.

If it were me and the paint is still smooth and clean I would probably just re-wax it but I would machine apply the wax... machine polishing has a smoothing effect and gloss comes from smoothness...

Anytime you do get back to a compounding or polishing step, after the polishing but before waxing, rub the paint out with an application of the #7 Show Car Glaze... you can machine apply with the Cyclo and some polishing pads... finishing pads will be too soft and gushy...

You never mentioned whether this is a Ford, Chevy or Dodge? Or International? Or???

:)

Thats kinda what i said lol...I agree i'd thou i'd like to know the make of the old truck too...maybe some pictures :)

Fly5465
09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the answers!! It really helps! Tomorrow morning is the day I'm going to wash it up well and I'll take your advice by seeing how smooth the paint is and then decide if I need to clay bar it again. I really dont want to do the Meg 105 or 205 route if I dont have to. I'm not looking for a mirror finish, I just want it to look nice for this show. Since the paint is 45 years old it will never look and feel perfect.

I have not used Meg #7, but I will read the article that you linked in your reply, thanks!

Sorry I didn't mention the model of pickup. Its a 1965 Datsun L320. I restored it 15 years ago and was able to save the original paint fairly well. It is getting thin is some spots. I like having the original paint, but have to live with a few dings and scratches. But like they say, "You can always repaint it, but its only original once".

You asked about the show it is the JCCS "Japanese Classic Car Show". Its held in Long Beach Ca, next to the Queen Mary. Its a great show if you into Classic imports. They dont allow newer stuff. I will be trailering my old truck there with some other Datsun owners from PHX.

Someone said they live in Gilbert too. Cool. I live near Elliot & Lindsay.

Here are a couple pictures of my little classic Datsun :)

http://usera.ImageCave.com/manxsr/Datsun2/IMG_3864.JPG

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/fly5465/Datsun%20Show/IMG_4067.jpg

Donnym
09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
That's really cool...!!!! Realy nice truck..!!!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the answers!! It really helps! Tomorrow morning is the day I'm going to wash it up well and I'll take your advice by seeing how smooth the paint is and then decide if I need to clay bar it again. I really dont want to do the Meg 105 or 205 route if I dont have to. I'm not looking for a mirror finish, I just want it to look nice for this show. Since the paint is 45 years old it will never look and feel perfect.

I have not used Meg #7, but I will read the article that you linked in your reply, thanks!

Sorry I didn't mention the model of pickup. Its a 1965 Datsun L320. I restored it 15 years ago and was able to save the original paint fairly well. It is getting thin is some spots. I like having the original paint, but have to live with a few dings and scratches. But like they say, "You can always repaint it, but its only original once".

You asked about the show it is the JCCS "Japanese Classic Car Show". Its held in Long Beach Ca, next to the Queen Mary. Its a great show if you into Classic imports. They dont allow newer stuff. I will be trailering my old truck there with some other Datsun owners from PHX.

Someone said they live in Gilbert too. Cool. I live near Elliot & Lindsay.

Here are a couple pictures of my little classic Datsun :)

http://usera.ImageCave.com/manxsr/Datsun2/IMG_3864.JPG

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z112/fly5465/Datsun%20Show/IMG_4067.jpg

She looks nice man...and yes I'm the one from Gilbert lol. Your quite close...Im off of Cooper and Elliot :dblthumb2:

BobbyG
09-05-2010, 05:21 AM
You can tell the truck is well taken care of. The finish appears to be in great shape and more than likely will need little more than a detail spray and Microfiber towel.

I nice coat of wax will always be beneficial...

Fly5465
09-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Hey Guys, here is an update.

First I want to say thanks to everyone that replied it really helped. I have been slowly getting into this hobby, but I'm still pretty new to it. I took everyones advice.

First this morning I cleaned the truck with a wipe down of quick detailer.

Then I stuck my hand in a sandwich baggy and checked out the paint. WOW, if felt rough! I had done a little touch up painting inside the bed a couple weeks ago and I guess I got a little more over spray on it that I had hoped for. Couldn't feel it to much without the baggy, but with the plastic bag I sure could.

So I decided the next step was to clay bar the whole pickup. So thats what I did. Ahhh, the paint feels MUCH better now.

I read the complete article on Meg #7, great write up. Wish I would have read this article 15 years ago when I went after the paint with compound. Oh well, I still have some paint on the truck but it is getting thin.

Next I took the advice fromthe article and went over the truck with Meg #7 by hand. Did a lot of rubbing and rubbing. ha.ha...

Wow, it looking better now. Right now I'm in the last step and this is to put some wax on it. I'm using the same Colinite wax I used before, I like it and I still have some left.

Thanks again everyone. My little pickup looks and feels much better now.

Reguards,
Dale - AZ

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I might have to swing by and see it :)

So can you tell a big difference between doing it this time with #7 compaired to just going straight to wax last time?

Fly5465
09-05-2010, 07:38 PM
I might have to swing by and see it :)

So can you tell a big difference between doing it this time with #7 compaired to just going straight to wax last time?

Your welcome to stop by and see it. I didn't get it all finished with the wax yet, but I will work on it more tomorrow.

I would say I did notice a difference with the #7 compared to last time. It wasn't huge, but I would say better.

Pm me and I can give you my phone number if you want to come by.

Dale (Fly5465)