PDA

View Full Version : Sealant question

Pages : [1] 2

veeko
09-03-2010, 08:43 AM
For applications that aren't so time sensitive I plan on using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. Now I'm looking for something on the other end of spectrum, something for time sensitive apps.

Are the spray sealants such as Opti-seal just as good as say Meguairs #20 polymer sealant or #21 synthetic sealant 2.0? The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a sealant that is very durable, lasts up to 4-6 months, and can set in no more than 30 minutes or so. I plan to layer with a carnuba wax such as Pinnacle XMT 180 paste wax or similar.

I'm just not sure if the spray sealants are good enough to layer on.

Completely open to suggestion and the use of other products if you feel there's something better out there.

Thanks.

veeko
09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I also came across Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant and Klasse High Gloss Sealant. I seem to be lost when it comes to sealants and could really use some assistance.

Old Tiger
09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I wouldnt recommend any polymer be topped immediately. IMO it would defeat all benefits. I dont think an acrylic like Klasse needs a cure time.

veeko
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I wouldnt recommend any polymer be topped immediately. IMO it would defeat all benefits. I dont think an acrylic like Klasse needs a cure time.

thanks for the reply. i'm still in the learning process and would eventually like to provide part-time services. with that being said i'm looking for a sealant that can cure in a timely manor and topped if a customer decides they would like their paint sealed for the extra added protection.

for example i had one gentlemen explain to me that he likes to use Megs #21, let it set for about 30 mins before wiping and topping with a wax.

anything else out there like that? or he basically not using the product correctly.

rwright
09-03-2010, 10:04 AM
If you can extend your time to about 60 minutes, use Duragloss #601 Polish Bonding Agent to flash cure your sealant. You apply it to the paint first then top with your choice of sealant, finally removing both at the same time. Works like a charm.

BobbyG
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
If you can extend your time to about 60 minutes, use Duragloss #601 Polish Bonding Agent to flash cure your sealant. You apply it to the paint first then top with your choice of sealant, finally removing both at the same time. Works like a charm.

And I learn something new every day! :xyxthumbs:

veeko
09-03-2010, 10:37 AM
^LOL that's great!

does what I'm looking for even exist? how do some detailers wash>clay>seal>top with wax in such a timely manor (3hrs). i'm just after a good all around sealant that sets and cures in a decent amount of time.

any product recommendations? i'm completely open to suggestions.

TornadoRed
09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Griot's Garage sealant doesn't mention anything about a cure time. Does anyone know if it can be covered with wax right away?

BobbyG
09-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Does what I'm looking for even exist?

How do some detailers wash>clay>seal>top with wax in such a timely manor (3hrs).

I'm just after a good all around sealant that sets and cures in a decent amount of time.

Any product recommendations? I'm completely open to suggestions.

Yes it does!

Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #601 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-polish-bonding-agent.html)

How do some detailers wash>clay>seal>top with wax in such a timely manor (3hrs).

Detailing an entire vehicle in 3 hours is indeed quick but there are allot of variables to look at.

The overall condition of the car

Interior

Vacuum only?
Shampooed?
Detailed and treated?

Exterior

Clayed?
Will it need paint correction?
Will a sealant be applied?
Waxed?

Can a car be washed, waxed, and have the interior vacuumed in 3 hours? Yes it can!

Can you perform a full detail with a full paint correction in 3 hours, not likely...

It really depends what the end user is also expecting.

veeko
09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks BobbyG, i'll definitely look into that.

The detailing I was referring to above was only an exterior detail where the car was only washed, clayed, sealed and then topped. no interior detailing or corrective polishing.

I guess when it comes to side jobs and someone is looking to have their paint sealed it's not necessary to top it with a wax and just offer it as more of a either or type of service. if it's a must and they would like their sealant topped i could then use PBA #601.

thanks guys.

Mike Phillips
09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
If you're working according to a time schedule, then you just do what you can.

Apply the paint sealant, after it dries to a haze wipe off the residue. If you have time and something else to do, (clean glass etc.), then tackle another project while you let the sealant set-up until you get to the point that you need to apply your topper so that you can then remove it and stay inside your time limit.

My thoughts are it's a lot less crucial than everyone things... and if you're on a time limit then it is what it is and you do what you can do and then clean-up and move forward...

:)

veeko
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mike! Any particular product (non spray) you might recommend I try to start?

Red Orc
09-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I also came across Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant and Klasse High Gloss Sealant. I seem to be lost when it comes to sealants and could really use some assistance.
I would recommend Jeff's Werkstatt Prime to start with. It contains cleaning agents and mild polishers. It's supposedly the same as Klasse All-in-One but with a newer formula. Prime can be topped with Acrylic Jett (squeeze bottle) or Acrylic JettTrigger (same thing but in a spray). Acrylic Jett is supposedly the same as Klasse Sealant Glaze but once again a newer formula. Acrylic Jett can be used on top of any sealant and you can apply as many coats as you like.

Mike Phillips
09-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks Mike! Any particular product (non spray) you might recommend I try to start?

Have you looked through this article yet...

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-how-choose-right-wax-paint-sealant-your-detailing-project.html)

:)

veeko
09-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I gave it a once over previously. Going to take another look and make a final decision so I can get my order in. Product I'm after is a finishing sealant. I'm going to use XMT 360 for an all-in-one cleaner/sealant.