PDA

View Full Version : A little overwhelmed

Tahoeguy
04-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Hello all!
In november I bought a 2001 Tahoe. For years i just pretty much washed my cars and then put on a coat of wax and called it a day. But after coming to this site I realize that it is way more to it then that. I reas as much as i could but I still have a few questions.
When using a clay bar do you use on the entire vehicle or just in the areas where you have swirls and such?

Yesterday i went to Advance Auto and bought some mequiars stuff. A paint cleaner, polish, and wax/sealant. Again, do i use the cleaner and polish on the whole vehicle? How long do i need to wait before moving on to the next step? The paint really isnt that bad, just minor scratches, havent really seen any swirl marks, but then again havnt looked that hard for them so they are probably there. Should I skip the cleaner and go to the polisher first?

I have those pinstrips on the side. I want to take them off but after all these years I am afraid it will leave that sticky residue. How can I combat this problem? Well I guess its time to look into getting a PC.
Thanks!

cwcad
04-12-2006, 08:55 AM
With the items that you have mentioned I would clay the whole vehicle using a good lube and Mf towel to clean each area of embedded build up. Then I would use the polish to try and clear up the marring and swirls. By hand it is possible but your arm will be tired. Then I would use the paint cleaner to make the paint ready for the LSP of your choice.

Purchasing a PC would help in all the area's that you have mentioned. The polish would do more correcting, the cleaner wax will do more cleaning and your LSP will be put on with an even layer.

That is what I would do if given the same products that you mentioned.

ScottB
04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
The first time you detail you really want to hit all steps. Your going to wash, clay, polish, rewash, and protect. The products need to fit into this group. But for instance, if you are going to polish (abrasive) then you really dont necessarily need to clean (chemical strip/ fill). You can , but not needed. Learning some other hints like QD'ing and use of spray protectants can also lesson the time needed to full detail so often.

As for the pinstripes, as long as they are not painted you should be able to pull them off. Using something like 3M's Adhesive and Wax Remover will remove any left over residue. Just spot test the removal, as in some states their can be a color difference noticed after pinstripe is removed based on how long it was on the vehicle. Usually polishing can lessen this also if necessary.

As for the PC .... everyone needs one, and no one should be scared of using it.

Tahoeguy
04-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the help! How long should i wait in between phases? Or can I just dive right into it?So let me get it right.
wash,clay,cleaner,polish and then sealant?

oh and a nice adhesive remover for the pinstripes?

About how long would a full detail take?

ScottB
04-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the help! How long should i wait in between phases? Or can I just dive right into it?So let me get it right.
wash,clay,cleaner,polish and then sealant?

oh and a nice adhesive remover for the pinstripes?

About how long would a full detail take?

Youve got the prep down (steps), again you could skip paint cleaning since you are claying and polishing but no harm. (The abrasive nature of polish will remove any fillers left by paint polish).

Adhesive Remover -- 3Ms Wax and Adhesive Remover (pepboys) or rubbing alcohol in a pinch.

And a full detail with the above mentioned steps would typically run about 4-5 hours the first time. Depending on the use of sealants (slightly more time needed due to curing) or waxes (WOWO - Souveran) means less time. If you decide to detail over a weekend, then allow the sealant to cure overnight and apply the wax the next day. If not, work on interior, wheels, glass, and other areas to allow some curing time.

Tahoeguy
04-13-2006, 02:18 PM
well I managed to get the pinstripes off and the adhesive. I wanted to wash today but its suppose to rain for the next few days. I'll go to my father-in-laws to use his garage for when it comes time for the detailing. If its going to take 4-5 hours I want to keep it out of the sun as much as possible. I hope my tahoe fits in his garage. ANyway thanks for the help. When I do get around to everything i will let you all know!