PDA

View Full Version : Dash Kit Removal?

CrownKote
09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Hello I have searched the forums for an answer... And have fallen short... I have a 2001 Land Rover Discovery II that has an old wood dash kit installed in it... There are a lot of portions of the kit that have faded or have started to peel off or are cracked/spiderweb-ed... I will be replacing it with a different dash kit that is more my taste. But I want to know the best way to remove it without creating any issues with the dash...

If you have any tips or tricks to keep me from marring up my dash and cleaning it up so that I can replace it with a new one that would be great.

Thanks,
Chris D.

Donnym
09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
if the pieces are held on with double sided tape Iwould try using a hair dryer to soften the tape and slowly peel the pieces off.

CrownKote
09-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I have done that on other cars the problem is when I do that it still leaves a large amount of the foam mounting tape on there... I guess that is more of my question how do i get that gunk off without messing up the dash surface? I know there are chemicals out there but i also know some are so low powered that they are virtually ineffective and others are too powerful that they will mess up the plastic...

Donnym
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure how to post a link to it but if you check the 3M list of products in the A/G store there is the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover in an aerosal can. I've never used it but it help

hudson1gua
09-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Might want to spray the DS tape that is still left over with WD40, let it work for a couple of minutes and rub the gunk off with your fingers. It won't ruin the material, just make sure to clean area well afterwards with a degreaser or nothing will ever stick on there again.

ScottB
09-06-2010, 07:06 AM
My worry would be that 3M's Adhesive Remover or Stoners Xenit sprays might effect or discolor dash material.

I would likely use a heat gun to heat up the tape carefully and try to remove as much as possible. With outside emblems, dental floss doubled over works well to cut into 2 sided foam tape. (might try that as needed). I would then probably work with something like Optimums Powerclean to remove foam and clean dash area. Of course spot testing first might be in order.

My worry is that the dash under the wood kit might appear a different color depending on the time the kit was on dash. Might it not be better to consider applying another kit perhaps a carbon fiber overlay as needed should coloring be very different.

hudson1gua
09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Dental floss..nice, never thought about that.

CrownKote
02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
I took a heat gun to the dash and it came right of accept in a few areas with those areas I hit the tape with some goo gone and let it sit then I took a big pink eraser and rubbed it until it came off (not that long) Looks like a new car now I don't think I will be putting a kit back on it now! thanks for the suggestions guys!