PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding chrome.

Cliffnopus
09-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Here's a question for all. What do you prefer for a cleaning product on chrome?

Several years ago I had many metal pieces chrome plated and in talking with the platers (actually two platers) they both concurred that chrome should not ever be waxed or sealed. Just polished when needed and then leave it alone.

I did an internet search and queried some chrome platers recently and got the same answers. Here's a cut from an email from one plater; "For shining; never wax chrome. Chrome needs oxygen to keep its appearance. Wax traps moisture and can cause unsightly bluing and pitting. Clean chrome with a good pre-wax cleaner and leave it alone."

In reading many threads here I get the opinion that many folks use a wax or sealer. Has anyone ever reseached this recently?? Any opinions?

Thanks, Cliff

Dr Oldz
09-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I use Wheel Wax on all my chrome! I learned about it from friends with Harleys! Their chrome has looked amazing for years using Wheel Wax with no ill effects!

CEE DOG
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Here's a question for all. What do you prefer for a cleaning product on chrome?

Several years ago I had many metal pieces chrome plated and in talking with the platers (actually two platers) they both concurred that chrome should not ever be waxed or sealed. Just polished when needed and then leave it alone.

I did an internet search and queried some chrome platers recently and got the same answers. Here's a cut from an email from one plater; "For shining; never wax chrome. Chrome needs oxygen to keep its appearance. Wax traps moisture and can cause unsightly bluing and pitting. Clean chrome with a good pre-wax cleaner and leave it alone."

In reading many threads here I get the opinion that many folks use a wax or sealer. Has anyone ever reseached this recently?? Any opinions?

Thanks, Cliff

Very interesting, I hadn't heard this.

Edit: It seems ilogical to me that chrome would need to breath. You got my curiosity up so I did a search. This is part of what I found:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/11637-help-clarify-does-waxing-cause-pitting-chrome.html

Cliffnopus
09-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Very interesting, I hadn't heard this.

Edit: It seems ilogical to me that chrome would need to breath. You got my curiosity up so I did a search. This is part of what I found:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/11637-help-clarify-does-waxing-cause-pitting-chrome.html

Yeah, I strongly believe that chrome doesn't need to "breathe", and there seems to be nothing more than anecdotal evidence to push each sides argument. The 'no-wax' theme has also been touted by several well known pro bike builders (motorcycle) who probably got it from the chrome platers that do work for them.

I'd just like to get to the bottom of it. I haven't done more than just polish any chrome on my vehicles for more than twenty years. This has not caused me any issues as I keep my chrome in shape but if I could use a "protection" product, I'd like to do that.

Cliff

SupraTurbo94
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Well ...most of friends and I that have chrome parts in our engine dressing just use Windex for cleaning... No real type of protection. No issues

Shade Tree
09-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Anything metal that requires any amount of polishing gets the Wheel Wax or sealant. :xyxthumbs:

CEE DOG
09-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I strongly believe that chrome doesn't need to "breathe", and there seems to be nothing more than anecdotal evidence to push each sides argument. The 'no-wax' theme has also been touted by several well known pro bike builders (motorcycle) who probably got it from the chrome platers that do work for them.

I'd just like to get to the bottom of it. I haven't done more than just polish any chrome on my vehicles for more than twenty years. This has not caused me any issues as I keep my chrome in shape but if I could use a "protection" product, I'd like to do that.

Cliff

The thing that confuses it for me is that the actual chrome guys said it to you. Maybe these particular guys didn't know their trade?

Mike Phillips
09-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Chrome is fairly impervious to just about any kind of chemical attack so by itself, kept clean, it will hold up for years.

The key idea above is, kept clean...

When dirt is allowed to accumulate on a chrome surface the dirt will attract and hold moisture against the chrome and over time the moisture plus whatever else is in the dirt and grime or air will act to corrode the chrome.

All you have to do to see this is find someone with neglected chrome wheels and in the grooves and crevices where dirt accumulates and is the hardest to thoroughly clean, and you'll see rust forming and usually chrome flaking off.

The key to maintaining chrome is to keep it surgically clean.

After you address that, (keeping it clean), if it were my chrome I would seal the surface with a layer of wax in a heart beat.

Wax, or some type of sealant that will stick to chrome, is a sacrificial barrier coating that seals and prevents the substances, liquid or otherwise that would come into contact with the chrome and attack it away... this would include moisture or water or road grime.

Of course being a sacrificial barrier coating it will wear off as it's supposed to, (it sacrifices itself so the chrome doesn't have to sacrifice itself), but the good news is you can replace the coating easily and inexpensively.

When the chrome goes bad you cannot replace the chrome easily and inexpensively.

Most suppliers of appearance product to the Marine Industry offer products that shine and protect chrome on boats... coastal boats are exposed to salty, wet weather and salt and water are two major enemies of steel, which is usually what chrome is protecting.

So find a way to keep your chrome clean and the once you get it spotlessly clean, apply a coat of wax or a sealant.

I love chrome wheels but once they go bad the only way to fix them is to re-chrome them. This is one of the reasons why I prefer bare aluminum wheels like slotted mags, they look good and if they go bad, that is if they oxidize -->you<-- can fix them with an aluminum polish and some elbow grease. Once you get them to a high shine just a little bit of maintenance polishing will keep them looking good and they won't rust.

Clear coated or painted wheels, if the paint goes bad, now you have to find someone that wants the headache of prepping and re-painting them, or take it upon yourself to repaint them... try to find a body shop that wants to mess with your wheels when they can slap new fenders on Honda's under insurance claims all day and then paint the easy to work on fender.

:)

Cliffnopus
09-02-2010, 08:08 AM
The thing that confuses it for me is that the actual chrome guys said it to you. Maybe these particular guys didn't know their trade?

These particular platers do a lot of work for custom hot rod builders and bike builders. One has been in business for thirty four years and the second for twenty five. They should know what they're doing. However, the lack of any hard data can definately lead to opinions and misinformation, so they could be parrotting what they've heard from thier vendors or other platers.

If you ask the folks who are showing thier cars/bikes at auto shows, you'll also get a mixed response between wax/no wax. Confusing to say the least.

Mike is correct in saying that chrome by itself is plenty tough (if kept clean). Which is why auto manufacturers went to it in the first place.

Cliff

dublifecrisis
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
if it's real bad I use #0000 steel wool and pretty much any polish. recently cleaned some OLD chrome wheels that were nasty. Steel wool and DG105 made them look 20 years newer. Haven't loaded the pics yet though.