PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars No 7

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dr Oldz
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I have been using no 7 for years with great results. As of recently I noticed they changed something in the formula and it doesnt work as well as it used to. (the color is even different) Anyone else notice this? And how does Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion or dodo lime juice compair to the old No 7? thanks in advance for your reply!

BillE
09-05-2010, 07:48 AM
How long ago did you get your latest bottle?

I also use 7, the last bottle I bought was last year and didn't notice anything different. Just the lable was 'newer'.

Bill

Tesla
09-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I haven't noticed a difference but I'm going to check. I have a bottle I bought about 3 months ago.

My only beef with #7 is that I believe (maybe right or wrongly) that when I use it, whatever my choice of LSP is, lasts less long.

Dr Oldz
09-05-2010, 10:45 PM
How long ago did you get your latest bottle?

I also use 7, the last bottle I bought was last year and didn't notice anything different. Just the lable was 'newer'.

Bill

Last bottle about a year and a half ago! 64 ounce bottle! This bottle was also a half gallon! I actually went to the supplier I bought it from yesterday and he said than he heard meguiars has changed it! I hope not! I am not pleased with it! hopefully I will find a product on this website that will be a personal replacement! A few caught my attention already! looks like some trial and error for me!!

cadd
09-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I purchased a bottle about month ago for the first time, and I found it very difficult to remove once applied. So I am wondering if that is just typical of the product or if like you mentioned, maybe they changed the formula. I had never used it before in the past, so I didnt know what to compare it to

C. Charles Hahn
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
I really, really doubt the formula has changed. M07 has been around since Meguiars' earliest days. It's not the easiest product to work with, and it never has been, but when used properly it's one of the best available to do the job it does.

Look at some of Mike Phillips' articles regarding the history and proper use of M07 to really learn and understand it.

BillE
09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I purchased a bottle about month ago for the first time, and I found it very difficult to remove once applied. So I am wondering if that is just typical of the product or if like you mentioned, maybe they changed the formula. I had never used it before in the past, so I didnt know what to compare it to

One thing about #7 is ya gotta use it VERY SPARINGLY. As I read not long ago on another forum...use it like it cost a $100 a bottle. Make sure you wipe off while still wet/damp. DON'T let it dry.

Hope this may help ya a tad.

Bill

BillE
09-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Last bottle about a year and a half ago! 64 ounce bottle! This bottle was also a half gallon! I actually went to the supplier I bought it from yesterday and he said than he heard meguiars has changed it! I hope not! I am not pleased with it! hopefully I will find a product on this website that will be a personal replacement! A few caught my attention already! looks like some trial and error for me!!

Two ideas...did you shake the bejabbers out of the bottle? The stuff does like to seperate a bit.

Number two idea: Give Meguiars a call at their customer help line @ 800-347-5700.

Bill

Mike Phillips
09-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Couple of comments...

A lot of people don't understand what the product is and this can lead to disappointments.

A lot of people don't understand how to apply it and then remove it and this too can lead to a lot of disappointments.

I've been told by the head chemist at Meguiar's that #7 is a product he's never modified and to his knowledge is unchanged since Frank Meguiar created the formula back in the early 1900's.

The color can change because the color of the raw materials can change due to climate. It has no affect on the performance of the product.

This is a non-abrasive, pure polish. Most people think a polish must have abrasives and be able to abrade the paint and remove defects but that's not true according to grandfathered terminology, that is the way that terms are being used today starting from how they were first used since the Model T was introduced.

This product is primarily beneficial to single stage paints because it will penetrate into the paint where the unique polishing oils will do their magic. Clear coats are so tight in their physical make-up that no chemicals readily penetrated into them unless they are etching or eating into them.

The oils bring out the full richness of color of a pigmented paint, it's the beauty factor that you either get you you don't get.

It's not a wax so not only does it not need to dry, it shouldn't be allowed to dry, you simply apply, work in and then remove. A thin coat removes easiest as it is quite oily so you really only need to apply enough to work a section so as to make removal easier.

I show how to use it in my first DVD, How-To Use the PC for Show Car Results (http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424-dvd.htm) on a single stage lacquer 1960 Corvette, including how to apply and how to remove it.

The Corvette had a swirl-free finish as we had just finished removing all the swirls so it was a finish in "Excellent Condition", which is the right condition for one aspect of how the #7 is supposed to be used.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/8134HowToDVD.jpg

It's actually a very unique product.

:)

rakkvet
09-06-2010, 08:01 PM
So it's ideal for working on single stage paints? That's great to know.

Is 3M's Ultrafina a similar product or does it have abrasives in it. I have gotten great results with the Ultrafina and was wondering if it was just a glaze? If so, it's back to the drawing board for me.

Tim

Dr Oldz
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info, Mike! Im glad u spoke to a chemist at Meguiars! My local supplier has agreed to swap my bottle out! Possible that I somehow got a bad bottle!!!??? I have been using No7 for years with great results!!!!.....esp on single stage paint!! I will keep U guys updated when I get my new bottle!

Mike Phillips
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info, Mike! Im glad u spoke to a chemist at Meguiars! My local supplier has agreed to swap my bottle out! Possible that I somehow got a bad bottle!!!??? I have been using No7 for years with great results!!!!.....esp on single stage paint!! I will keep U guys updated when I get my new bottle!

The color of the product is ever changing...

I never care one bit about the color of the product as long as the consistency of the liquid is normal.

Seriously, the color doesn't matter and is not a factor.

Mike Phillips
09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
So it's ideal for working on single stage paints? That's great to know.

It's from the old day... the days of the Model T, back when Auto Paint was being created. There were no modern clear coats like you find on a new car till the 1980's

So #7 has been around almost as long as cars, way before clear coats were introduced and longer than probably most people on this forum.

Is 3M's Ultrafina a similar product or does it have abrasives in it. I have gotten great results with the Ultrafina and was wondering if it was just a glaze? If so, it's back to the drawing board for me.

Tim

From the webpage for this product,

3M polish, 3M ultrafina, ultra fine polish, 3m car polish, rotary polisher, finishing polish, final polish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-ultra-fine-polish.html)

abrasives remove imperfections and leave a flawless, perfect finish – even on black paint.

Even if it were non-abrasive, it doesn't have the unique oil base famous to the #7

Dr Oldz
09-06-2010, 08:44 PM
The color of the product is ever changing...

I never care one bit about the color of the product as long as the consistency of the liquid is normal.

Seriously, the color doesn't matter and is not a factor.

The color didnt bother me! Its when I started using it and it seemed to be missing the lube and oils! I have used a lot of this product over the years and something just wasnt right! It didnt spread ultra thin like it always does! yes I shook the bottle very well! It also seemed thicker! With all of these factors thats Y I mentioned the color since something seemed wrong! Hopefully my new bottle will be right!

Mike Phillips
09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Hopefully my new bottle will be right!

Better safe than sorry...