PDA

View Full Version : Correct process?

ryukin2000
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
This is my first time layering so i was curious to know if i am doing it right. 2 nights ago i washed and claybared the car. i used WGDGPS and let it dry overnight after buffing. the next evening i used Mothers QD before applying a second coat of WGDGPS. now that it has dried overnight again i plan to go over it with QD and a layer of DP Max later tonite. the Drive to and from work accumulates some dust. is this the correct way or should i be washing the car in between layers? thanks.

PAR Detailing
09-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Thats a judgement call you have to make. If it isnt dirty then a QD is fine. If it is dirtier then an ONR or full wash is in order

Shade Tree
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Thats a judgement call you have to make. If it isnt dirty then a QD is fine. If it is dirtier then an ONR or full wash is in order

:iagree:

In a perfect world this work would be best accomplished when the car doesn't have to be used. A QD is going to leave behind some wax like properties thus creating a very thin barrier between coats of sealant you're using. The best performance from the sealant used will be one that allows the sealant to truly be layered ....... one coat upon another with no foreign product between.

kronos
09-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't think it's necessary to apply the second coat within a short period, e.g. less than 24 hours. I added my second coat a whole week after the first; obviously I washed the car before adding the second coat. Additionally, Mother's Showtime is a true quick detail spray and may somewhat inhibit the bond of wax to the paint so I don't think I'd use that before applying a coat of sealer/wax. My opinions of course are completely free of any empirical support. :props:

ryukin2000
09-01-2010, 07:30 PM
sorry but what does ONR mean? just found what it meant. thanks.

ryukin2000
09-01-2010, 07:37 PM

Call me crazy, but I don't think it's necessary to apply the second coat within a short period, e.g. less than 24 hours. I added my second coat a whole week after the first; obviously I washed the car before adding the second coat. Additionally, Mother's Showtime is a true quick detail spray and may somewhat inhibit the bond of wax to the paint so I don't think I'd use that before applying a coat of sealer/wax. My opinions of course are completely free of any empirical support. :props:

i understand. makes sense. washing in btwn for 3 days is a but much for me so i figured the wipe would be quicker