PDA

View Full Version : Brake Question - Not Exactly Detailing

ilb3
08-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Although this is not a detailing question I loved the feedback I got in my other thread and thought I would run this by you guys.

I recently bought a used 03 Mazda 6i. The car was taken good car of in terms of functionality not totally asthetics.

When test driving the brakes made a VERY loud noise when braking gradually. If braking at high speeds or very abrubptly it did not happen. The best I can describe it is like a very loud vibration.

I brought the car to a local mechanic recommended by a family friend who is also into cars so I trusted his opinion. The mechanic said he just cleaned everything off the brakes and the noise went away.

For a week it was fine. Then I noticed a high pitched squeeking when I used the brakes right after starting the car. Would go away after 10 minutes. Now the original vibration is back. Could this simply be because I need new brake pads?

S2K
08-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Is the noise from the front or rear? Does it have 4wheel disk? I have a Sonata that get a noise from the rear drum and it's the shoes rubbing on the backing plates, it's very intermittent and usually when it's cold with light pressure. I have lubed them with high temp lube but it comes back so I just live with it. More info might be needed for your question.

ilb3
08-31-2010, 10:00 PM
It is in the rear only and yes it is 4 wheel disk.
Mine is rather regular. I am in New Jersey so the weather is fine right now. It has not rained in a good 4 days.

Dubbin1
08-31-2010, 10:44 PM
New pads and rotors should cure the problem.

rohnramirez
08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
I agree with Dwayne. High pitched sounds exhibited by brakes were placed and designed to inform owners that the break pads are almost worn out and should be changed.

If the vibration is still persisting even after cleaning the pads, have the face of the rotors checked if it is still even and flat. :)

Fly bye
08-31-2010, 11:33 PM
When test driving the brakes made a VERY loud noise when braking gradually. If braking at high speeds or very abrubptly it did not happen. The best I can describe it is like a very loud vibration.

I brought the car to a local mechanic recommended by a family friend who is also into cars so I trusted his opinion. The mechanic said he just cleaned everything off the brakes and the noise went away.

For a week it was fine. Then I noticed a high pitched squeeking when I used the brakes right after starting the car. Would go away after 10 minutes. Now the original vibration is back. Could this simply be because I need new brake pads?

It's kind of hard to diognose this over the net with limited information. How many miles are on the car? Are the brakes the original brakes that came with the car?

If the pads were so thin that the indicators were touching the rotors, then why didn't the mechanic tell you this? If the indicators were touching the rotors, the mechanic would have surely known.

Without hearing this in person, I'm not sure what you mean by "a VERY loud noise". Disk brakes can "squeal" if the shims are not properly lubed. When the brake is applied, the pad actually oscillates inside the caliper assembly, and actually vibrates againts the caliper piston, which can very well cause a high pitch squeal, which is why a new set of pads will come with lubricant.

As far as a "vibration is concerned, that is NOT normal, and is not usually desired, and the only fix would be to have the rotors resurfaced, or replaced.

Like I say, I'm not totally clear what you mean by a VERY loud noise, because a very loud noise could be several things. If the pads were worn all the way down, and grinding the rotors, the mechanic would have told you they need replacing, so we can count that out.

The squealing could very well be caused by the back sides (Non friction) of the pads oscillating againts the caliper pistons, but if you are feeling a vibration while pressing down on the brake pedal, I think the squeal would be trivial, as the vibration to me is a bigger concern.

BobbyG
09-01-2010, 07:25 AM
High pitched sounds exhibited by brakes were placed and designed to inform owners that the break pads are almost worn out and should be changed.

:iagree:

Many pad manufactures include in their products a wear indicator that exhibits a high pitched sound thus telling the driver; something needs to be looked at.

Generally when I replace pads I also replace the rotors as well. Rotors are relatively cheep these days and when you consider their cost vs. what they're protecting the decision becomes very easy.

Also flush or change the brake fluid every two years.

sullysdetailing
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
New pads and rotors brakeperformance.com has slottle and dippled rotors with free set of pads. I got a pair for my truck for 189

ilb3
09-01-2010, 09:47 AM
The car has approximately 73k miles on it.

As far as describing the noise I really can't do better than feel the car almost vibrating and hear a much deeper and louder noise than the usual squeeling of the car.

I will get the car looked at this weekend.

I am also thinking of going to a nearby mazda dealership to get another key made, so should I ask them to look at the car as well?

BobbyG
09-01-2010, 09:54 AM

I am also thinking of going to a nearby mazda dealership to get another key made, so should I ask them to look at the car as well?

Since it is a Mazda and you'll be at the Mazda dealership it would make sense to have them look at it, yes......

ilb3
09-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I'll do that on Saturday and see what they tell me. The brakes themselves look really rusty and worn out so they might have to be replaced as well as the pads.

Fly bye
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM

feel the car almost vibrating

If you're feeling a vibration, new brake rotors are in order.

ScottB
09-01-2010, 06:29 PM
brake rotors can warp from heat/water especially thinner rotors. Often times they can be cut (trued) but most dealers want to upsell to new rotors. The thinner the rotor the less material to be cut and likely the more often it could be needed.

If you are looking for cost effective, then look to Centric rotors as a less expensive option. They actually powdercoat the top vains and centers so they look nicer longer. You can commonly find them under 50 each. Search Ebay / Autopartswarehouse / RockAuto for deals.

I would personally always suggest changing pads when replacing rotors as pads were worn and shaped based upon original rotors. I found EBC offered alot of value and good reviews on the discount. They offer several versions and each are color coded. I run the ceramic based Redstuff on daily driver without issue. Broke in quickly, dont squeal, and lowered brake dust substantially.

Do the work yourself or find a local establishment as they commonly will do the deal quicker and cheaper than dealer. Follow break (no pun) in procedures to bed pads for best lifespan.

sullysdetailing
09-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Brake Performance - Slotted and Drilled Brake Rotors (http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?vtype=1&vmake=119118&vmodel=119305&vyear=119306&vdetail=119307&cPath=1_119118_119305_119306_119307_119309&dv=051410&ad=direct)

PREMIUM DIMPLED & SLOTTED (BLACK)
FRONT TWO (2) ROTORS #RB-45063

FREE SHIPPING • FREE BRAKE PADS • LIFETIME WARRANTY! LIST:
$186.32

PREMIUM DIMPLED & SLOTTED (BLACK)
REAR TWO (2) ROTORS #RB-45064

FREE SHIPPING • FREE BRAKE PADS • LIFETIME WARRANTY! LIST:
$156.23