PDA

View Full Version : Topping sealants

yeebiz
08-31-2010, 08:38 PM
From what I have read liquid waxes have "solvents" in them that help keep them liquid. Do these solvents have an effect on durability of a sealant when used as a topper?

For example: If I top Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with Liquid Souveran, would it effect the durability of the WDGPS?

Buckskincolt
08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
From what I have read liquid waxes have "solvents" in them that help keep them liquid. Do these solvents have an effect on durability of a sealant when used as a topper?

For example: If I top Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with Liquid Souveran, would it effect the durability of the WDGPS?
I Think you would have to be a chemist (or at least know one) to answer that. I would think as long as the liquid wax was a finish wax and had no cleaners or bonding agents it should be safe. Also one would want to be sure the sealant was totally cured to get the greatest durability.....But I'm not a chemist and I don't know any either!:dunno:

yeebiz
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
I Think you would have to be a chemist (or at least know one) to answer that. I would think as long as the liquid wax was a finish wax and had no cleaners or bonding agents it should be safe. Also one would want to be sure the sealant was totally cured to get the greatest durability.....But I'm not a chemist and I don't know any either!:dunno:

Good points. I think we have many questions that can never be truly answered. That is where we rely on the experiences of our fellow members of this amazing forum to share their opinions.

Buckskincolt
08-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Good points. I think we have many questions that can never be truly answered. That is where we rely on the experiences of our fellow members of this amazing forum to share their opinions.
As Mike P. says..."Find something you like and use it often"

Shade Tree
08-31-2010, 08:59 PM

An educated guess on my part would have me believe that any "topper" sealant that is applied atop of another sealant is going to bond to it & thus create a stronger barrier.

The problem could potentially be the fact that when you begin using different brands of product with each other. It's like using a Zaino brand sealant and then using a totally different brand with a different chemical make up. They are probably both when used separately, but one may not allow the other to adhere properly to the other.

I used Zaino as an example because I have run into this problem in the past. Proprietary blends usually will not work well with the more commonly found products.

My .02

miamijd7
08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
As Mike P. says..."Find something you like and use it often"

:dblthumb2: :iagree: