PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of foam wash guns?

Pages : [1] 2

jcarson112
08-31-2010, 04:14 PM
It's a fairly simple question. Are the benefits to the foam wash guns just the ease of application of car washing solution? Obviously you still have to agitate the solution to aid in removal of dirt.

Also, what the differences in levels of effectiveness for the pressure, air, and regular hose attachments?

Just looking for a bit of information on these products to see whether or not they are a worthwhile purchase. I plan on starting up a part time business and things that would speed up the wash/dry/polish/wax process would be nice to have :D

A4 1.8tqm
08-31-2010, 04:48 PM
I absolutely LOVE my Autogeek Foam Cannon HP (http://www.autogeek.net/autogeek-foam-cannon-hp.html), and in combination with DP Xtreme Foam Formula (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun-soap.html) it's a thing of beauty. I can put ~1oz. of soap to ~5oz. of water (I stopped meticulously measuring, ehh, close enough) and can completely "white out" 4-5 cars with a thick layer of foam. The real functionality, IMO, is to loosen/remove the worst dirt and grime BEFORE agitation. This way you greatly reduce the potential to cause swirls. If my car is really dirty, I'll first wet the car down, then cover it in foam, switch to the "fan pattern" pressure washer nozzle and pressure rinse the dirt/soap off, then either 1- Re-foam and wash as usual with bucket & grit guards or 2- ONR wash. If the car is not really bad I'll skip the pressure rinse, just foam it up and wash it.

I believe the Foam Cannon to be far superior out of the three choices in terms of effective aid in washing a vehicle. If your starting a car washing business, DP Xtreme and a Foam Cannon will absolutely save you money on wash solution in the long run. I've saved unused "foam cannon mix" solution for a couple days with no probs.

ScottB
08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
I think foam guns and presoaking have some merit and value ... allows soap to loosen dirt, emulsifers to get to work, and loose contaminents to float to ground prior to physically washing.

Old Tiger
08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
I think foam guns and presoaking have some merit and value ... allows soap to loosen dirt, emulsifers to get to work, and loose contaminents to float to ground prior to physically washing.
All of this plus its fun too! But I am not a pro where time is $$!

canairb
08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
I can put ~1oz. of soap to ~5oz. of water (I stopped meticulously measuring, ehh, close enough) and can completely "white out" 4-5 cars with a thick layer of foam.

I love my foam cannon too, but I could never get that much use out of 6 oz of solution. I'd be lucky to get one car done.

I wonder if it is because I have a sucky pressure washer. 2000 psi @ 1.6 gpm. :dunno:

jcarson112
08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
@A4: What type of pressure washer did you use with the HP?

Also, is it required/more than just moderately beneficial to use high sudsing formulations or can I stick with say the Griot's wash I currently use? It's much easier to run down to their HQ and pick up some if I run out then constantly worrying whether or not I need to order more.

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

canairb
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Also, is it required/more than just moderately beneficial to use high sudsing formulations or can I stick with say the Griot's wash I currently use?

High sudsing formulas will create thicker, shaving cream like foam that will stick to the car longer. This is beneficial in emulsifying the dirt and grime on the car.

I'm sure you would also get great results with the Griot's wash. But when you get a chance, on your next order from AutoGeek, get a sample of the DP Extreme Foam and compare.

BobbyG
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
I was going to write a review but since this thread is on topic I'll write it here.

I've been asking the same question and have tried to understand whether this is just another neat toy or does it truly possess added value. I've done some reading and listening to those who own and use them. Some of these units range from expensive to very expensive but I decided to make the investment.

I bought a Wolfgang Foamaster Foam Gun. Because this is for personal or non-commercial use I selected the quart size.

The quality and craftsmanship of the unit is very good. Critical components and mixing valve are made from solid brass. All other components are a high grade plastic ensuring years of trouble free use and satisfaction.

For the most part the unit comes pre-assembeled and its operation is simple and straight forward. Car wash mixing ratios are clearly defined on the plastic cup and the spray nozzle rotates making it easy to reach those hard to get to places.

After mixing the solution according to the directions I hooked it up to the hose and got to work. The foam gun operated flawlessly laying down a sudsy layer of foam that covered the car but was also runny. Keep in mind that this was not a Foam Canon that works with a pressure washer.

The unit operated exactly as designed and its performance was predictable. At no time did it malfunction or under perform.

With the foamy solution applied and watching it run and drip a question that begged to be asked was; what is all the hoopla associated with these units?

There have been many discussions regarding what's best when washing a car; lots of suds or little suds. Mike Phillips shares my opinion and has a video here and the conclusion is; little or low suds.

I always hose down the car prior to washing. This loosens the dust and debris and begins to dissolve water soluble contaminates. Once complete I begin my wash regiment using the two bucket system.

Conclusion:

Do Foam Guns apply additional lubrication to loosen and float dirt and debris? Yes, but so does properly prepared washing solution, it's been doing it for a very long time. Keep in mind you still need to wash the car like you always have however now you've added an extra step.

Are these units somewhat "gimmicky"? In my opinion yes, but again my opinion is something I'm an expert on.

Toy - Yes
Value Added - No

A4 1.8tqm
08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
I love my foam cannon too, but I could never get that much use out of 6 oz of solution. I'd be lucky to get one car done.

I think it's all in the technique. I will make two long, even passes across one side of the car at a time. A lot like using a HPLV paint gun, I put an even "coat" of foam, then hit the wheel wells.

Another thing I do is start with the foam adjustment all the way off, then while spraying plain water turn up the dial until I like the foam. I do this every time because every dilution is a little different.

What soap are you using?

I wonder if it is because I have a sucky pressure washer. 2000 psi @ 1.6 gpm. :dunno:

I use an old, crappy 1800 psi Husky that my buddy thought was broken... but wasn't.

@A4: What type of pressure washer did you use with the HP?

Also, is it required/more than just moderately beneficial to use high sudsing formulations or can I stick with say the Griot's wash I currently use? It's much easier to run down to their HQ and pick up some if I run out then constantly worrying whether or not I need to order more.

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii437/dave22234/IMG_2217.jpg

I've used several "regular" shampoo's with good results but DP Xtreme is the only "High Sudsing" formula, it does it's job well. I could see extra benefit coming from using an "LSP Stripping" or "gentile formula" depending on your intentions.

canairb
08-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Isn't Husky a Home Depot pressure washer? I have about the equivalent, but it is the Lowes Task Force version.

I mainly use DG 901, but have recently purchased the DP Extreme Foam when it was on BOGO. I like them both, with DP being the foamier of the two.

I guess I just spray too much. I usually have the knob wide open all the time to get the most suds.

I'm still experimenting with the dilution. Usually 3 oz soap and the rest water. I might go up to 4 next time to see how crazy that is.

Stype4life
09-01-2010, 12:12 AM
I know I have been drinking again but is there not away to post youtube vids to show a man the diffrence from a foam gun and a cannon?

A4 1.8tqm
09-01-2010, 02:32 AM
I know I have been drinking again but is there not away to post youtube vids to show a man the diffrence from a foam gun and a cannon?

Sure, there is about a million of each to choose from... :cheers:

Gun:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M102F4k8zI4&feature=related]YouTube - Gilmour Foam Gun[/video]

Cannon:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S7X0r7FjB0&feature=related]YouTube - Snow Foaming The ford focus ST[/video]

jcarson112
09-01-2010, 03:08 AM
^^ apparently us westerners don't go to bed very early ;)

After looking at those I can see why Bobby G would find the hose gun more so a gimmick. It looks more like when I take my MF mitt and squeeze out some foam. The HP however really looks like it could have some bene's for lubricity and cleaning away dirt. Not to mention it looks like a hell of a lot of fun ;)

the_invisible
09-01-2010, 03:10 AM
I have both the foam gun and the foam cannon. Both are extremely great tools for swirl prevention/reduction.

With the right soap, such as some of the citrus washes that are on the market, the foam cannon coupled with a pressure washer can wash a car very clean evenly without having to physically touch the car.

I use the foam gun mostly for rinsing between polishing steps or when I don't feel like setting up the pressure washer.

Furthermore, instead of using a foam gun or a foam cannon only to loosen dirt, I use it during the washing process as well in conjuction with the two bucket method. I foam down one panel at a time and then washing down the panel with a soapy mitt while washing the car.

Matt
09-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Agreed about the Foam gun seeming like a gimmick (I have one).

It definatly does have its uses when the car is really really dirty, but using it every wash is a hassle as the foam doesn't stick for very long (even using DP Xtream foam) because the foam put out by the gun contains a lot of water compared to the amount of air introduced in the mix.

I want to get a Foam Cannon HP but the price of $99 is a bit much although I might have to include one in my next order as it seems like the foam from a foam cannon sticks around for a long time after being sprayed, where the foam from the foam gun only usually lasts for the amount of time it takes to clean one section of the car (e.g. front and rear left fenders and both left doors)