PDA

View Full Version : You will soon learn that sealants and waxs dont really affect the final outcome and look of the paint much.

Pages : [1] 2

Stype4life
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
It all comes down to the prep work(polishing.) Make sure your polishing is spot on and just top with what wax/sealant you like best.

How true is this statement?
all the products between the two claim wet look pure glass, and 3 dimensions

what do you think?

Mike Phillips
08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
The end results are based upon the prep work but some waxes or paint sealants are better than others...

You need to polish the paint to a level of perfection that will make you happy and then apply your LSP of choice.

As far as which wax is best?

That's a question the tends to start "Wax Wars" on discussion forums.... I usually recommend that you do your research and then pick a couple you're most interested in and take them for a test drive and make up your own mind which wax is best...

:)

Meghan
08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Prep work is always key, but nothing like topping clean, swirl free paint with a nice Carnauba Wax!

Stype4life
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the Replies

The end results are based upon the prep work but some waxes or paint sealants are better than others...

You need to polish the paint to a level of perfection that will make you happy and then apply your LSP of choice.

That's a question the tends to start "Wax Wars" on discussion forums.... I usually recommend that you do your research and then pick a couple you're most interested in and take them for a test drive and make up your own mind which wax is best...

I will pay more attention to the polish, and clay process, but come on Mike we both know Souverns the best. :::::Runs and hide behind car::::::

Prep work is always key, but nothing like topping clean, swirl free paint with a nice Carnauba Wax!
/\
Ok I was just wondering never tried walmart brand wax!

trhland
08-31-2010, 01:54 PM
the oils in waxes like souveran and pinnacle signature series 2 really add some wetness. prep is the key .but my adding a nice carnuaba is like adding a glaze. so it does help in adding gloss..

Bonifax
08-31-2010, 02:10 PM
IMO waxes (of all kinds and brands) are the best sellers among regular people because a good wax can add a wet look and depth to ANY paint. The thing with proper preparation of the paint (meaning correction and polish) is that a good polished paint may have a wet look and shine by itself.
Have't any of you been asked by a friend "why do you polish your car so much if my car shines a lot just with turtle wax?"

DARK HORSE
08-31-2010, 02:14 PM
IMO waxes (of all kinds and brands) are the best sellers among regular people because a good wax can add a wet look and depth to ANY paint. The thing with proper preparation of the paint (meaning correction and polish) is that a good polished paint may have a wet look and shine by itself.
Have't any of you been asked by a friend "why do you polish your car so much if my car shines a lot just with turtle wax?"

No...Quite the contrary…

jpegs13
08-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I've always told people (tongue in cheek) that if the prep is good, olive oil will look good on the car. Carnuba is a little less messy

CEE DOG
08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Heres what I think:

Polish the paint to perfection and you are not going to be able to add any more clarity by adding any wax or sealant. However waxes and sealants do effect the look for better or worse by the way that you perceive the light passing through them and the effect they have on it reflecting back to your eyes.

The amount of difference you will see between one protectant or another may range from anywhere from "impossible to differentiate" to "a definitive difference".

Kurt_s
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
It all comes down to the prep work(polishing.) Make sure your polishing is spot on and just top with what wax/sealant you like best.

How true is this statement?
all the products between the two claim wet look pure glass, and 3 dimensions

what do you think?
I'm finding that different waxes and sealants can make a definitive difference depending on the prep work you perform, the paint color and your preference in finish.

Some waxes can help hide defects in the paint, so swirls are not as apparent. Some waxes seem to bring out every flaw in the paint. Some products seem to make metallics pop more. Some products look very bright, reflective and mirror-like with a gloss that reminds me of looking in a very clean mirror. Some products have a reflective finish that seems to be darker with more of a shimmer, deeper glow or radiance. I have the perception that the paint just seems to gain thickness or depth, like your 3 dimension comment.

I recently stripped all LSPs from my car where I thought the finish was still in pretty good after 7 months. I clayed and applied Fuzion. The gloss, reflection and nuba shimmer is wonderful, however I can now see defects that I didn't notice before. I think this is a wax where prep work is very important and a good example where prep work can really make a difference. I highly recommend you try Fuzion but do your prep work to get all the benefits.

Cliffnopus
08-31-2010, 03:35 PM
I've always told people (tongue in cheek) that if the prep is good, olive oil will look good on the car. Carnuba is a little less messy
And the pepperoni won't stick as much. :laughing:

Cliff

A4 1.8tqm
08-31-2010, 03:38 PM
I do believe that your choice in LSP can affect the final look, but only very slightly. As others have said, it is the polishing that creates the look, wax just protects it. Detailjohn did a test of 9 different wax/sealants with a gloss meter, taking measurements at three angles each before and after wax application. Link here- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/24844-9-waxes-unbiased-review.html

Shade Tree
08-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Whenever a customer asks what I would recommend as a sealant on their car I offer the best of both worlds.

A quality sealant for the protection and a high quality carnauba as the beautifier first, protection second. Even quality carnaubas are going to give limited protection in comparison to a quality sealant.

Dark colors are what I love to apply the 'nuba to. :dblthumb2:

Stype4life
08-31-2010, 04:30 PM
No...Quite the contrary…
If thats your Stang then I can see why:dblthumb2:

Wendell Jarvis
08-31-2010, 05:26 PM

:iagree: Mike is right on target...