PDA

View Full Version : You were right Mike

Stype4life
08-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Sure enough I had swirls when I got my S-Type Painted black. Said maybe we need to Buff it he said Polish will cover them. Will try by hand but dont think its going to turn out the way I Plan with out buffing. No pics but I will bring in some after I wash it and after detailed. This guy is lazy.

BobbyG
08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
For some reason I don't see a happy ending...................

Mike Phillips
08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Sure enough I had swirls when I got my S-Type Painted black. Said maybe we need to Buff it he said Polish will cover them. Will try by hand but don't think its going to turn out the way I Plan with out buffing. No pics but I will bring in some after I wash it and after detailed. This guy is lazy.

See the bold part in your reply above... if you can, take pictures of how the paint looks after washing and before anything else...

See this article...

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26917-how-capture-swirls-scratches-etchings-other-surface-defects-your-camera.html)

For anyone reading this, members or lurkers, here's what he's talking about from another thread about getting his 2000 S-Type Jaguar painted black.

Brand New Black Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/26960-brand-new-black-paint.html)

Here's the jist of the above thread..

Hello all? Im new here Getting my car painted as we speak.

A portion of my reply...

Horror Story
There's a term used on forums called Horror Story, do a search and you'll see that a Horror Story is when someone joins a forum after having a car painted or detailed only to find their car's finish is completely swirled out, usually by the mis-use of a rotary buffer.

Hope for the best
If they are sanding and buffing the paint chances are very good that you're car will have swirls.

Will wait for your pictures... chances are good the swirls will be shallow and we can help you to remove them.

One thing I've learned from real-world experience,

If the shop that did the buffing work couldn't do it right the first time... unless something drastically changes, they won't be able to do it right a second time.

Each time they do "work on the paint" they will remove more and more of your car's precious top coat.

There comes a time when you realize the only way to get the job done right is to take ownership of the project and do-it-yourself...

Wish it weren't that way but but sad to say... getting your car back from a body shop, dealership or even a detail shop, it's normal to have the paint inflicted with swirls.

I hope I'm not vidicated... here's a brand new article I just wrote about this topic...

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

:)

Stype4life
08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
See the bold part in your reply above... if you can, take pictures of how the paint looks after washing and before anything else...

Will wait for your pictures... chances are good the swirls will be shallow and we can help you to remove them.
They look very fine and not so deep. Paint will be done curing this weekend, but I have just been told about 5 minutes ago storms coming this weekend. which ever day that storm passes I will wash and grab the pictures.

One thing I've learned from real-world experience,

If the shop that did the buffing work couldn't do it right the first time... unless something drastically changes, they won't be able to do it right a second time.

Each time they do "work on the paint" they will remove more and more of your car's precious top coat.

There comes a time when you realize the only way to get the job done right is to take ownership of the project and do-it-yourself....
I will say this Mike I %100 agree with you. I dont think I even want him to get the car back. I told him about the swirl marks after you showed me the horror stories, you think he lifted a finger? Guess with the buddy discount comes with the territory.
I probaly would show my own car more care then he would so Im all for doing it myself. With your help and the board ofcourse.

I hope I'm not vidicated... here's a brand new article I just wrote about this topic...

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

:)
I saw that mine dosent look that bad I dont think but I do need to wash it to take a closer look, paint is almost cured. Im going with wolfgang isntead of class. Still going to wax with souvern so we shall see. I will clay if I cant get all the particles from wash, I have no clue were all the pollen came from all of a sudden.

For some reason I don't see a happy ending...................
Check out the thread I started Mike posted in. I cant be but so mad. The car was seriously trashed. Looks like a completely diffrent car today.

Mike Phillips
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Check out the thread I started Mike posted in. I cant be but so mad. The car was seriously trashed. Looks like a completely different car today.

This too shall pass... and when it does your car will back to swirl-free....

:D

Stype4life
08-31-2010, 01:12 PM
This too shall pass... and when it does your car will back to swirl-free....

:D
Thanks Mike, Your the MAN:buffing: