PDA

View Full Version : Swirls in my Chrome Window Trim

Pages : [1] 2

jkk7479
08-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Hello Everyone!

I have Swirl marks in my Chrome Window Trim. I have a 2010 Nissan Maxima and although the car is great, I believe these Chrome pieces to be a little cheap. I got some swirls from poor washing techniques before I become utterly obsessed with car washing and detailing. Does anyone know of a good product I can use on this type of Chrome. It's probably Chrome plated plastic, but I want it to shine up nice and not have all these swirls. I have Meguiars Chrome polish for wheels, but don't know if this is too harsh. Any products and techniques that anyone can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

:xyxthumbs:

Shade Tree
08-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Hello Everyone!

I have Swirl marks in my Chrome Window Trim. I have a 2010 Nissan Maxima and although the car is great, I believe these Chrome pieces to be a little cheap. I got some swirls from poor washing techniques before I become utterly obsessed with car washing and detailing. Does anyone know of a good product I can use on this type of Chrome. It's probably Chrome plated plastic, but I want it to shine up nice and not have all these swirls. I have Meguiars Chrome polish for wheels, but don't know if this is too harsh. Any products and techniques that anyone can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

The Meguiars chrome polish isn't going to do anymore damage to the chrome pieces than is already present. I'm wondering if the trim is actually high polished aluminum. Either way, the polish will help to brighten the pieces up & should take the majority of the swirls/scratches from the surface.

GL!:xyxthumbs:

jkk7479
08-31-2010, 10:40 AM
The Meguiars chrome polish isn't going to do anymore damage to the chrome pieces than is already present. I'm wondering if the trim is actually high polished aluminum. Either way, the polish will help to brighten the pieces up & should take the majority of the swirls/scratches from the surface.

GL!:xyxthumbs:

I actually tried some of the Meguiars Chrome Polish, and my applicator pad started turning black! Is that normal? I stopped and noticed that I might have made it worse. I know I can probably correct what I did with the polish because I don't think I broke it down enough, but I want to make sure that the pad turning black is ok.

Can I use my G110 and hit those with my 4" lake country pads with some polish on it? Perhaps the white LC pad, or the orange light cutting pad? As long as I know I should be seeing some black on the pads, I won't freak out and will continue buffing. If I need to use elbow grease.....I can do that as well.

Thanks,

Shade Tree
08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
I actually tried some of the Meguiars Chrome Polish, and my applicator pad started turning black! Is that normal? I stopped and noticed that I might have made it worse. I know I can probably correct what I did with the polish because I don't think I broke it down enough, but I want to make sure that the pad turning black is ok.

Can I use my G110 and hit those with my 4" lake country pads with some polish on it? Perhaps the white LC pad, or the orange light cutting pad? As long as I know I should be seeing some black on the pads, I won't freak out and will continue buffing. If I need to use elbow grease.....I can do that as well.

Thanks,

No worries,

Anytime metal is polished you're going to see the applicator turn black at ssome point. This means that the polish is doing it's job in removing whatever contamination there may be on the metal. You'd see the same results if you were cleaning silverware to tail pipes.

You could use a machine process, but because the pieces are trim and therefore are somewhat small & maybe difficult to reach in some areas, I would stick to the hand application.

Keep in mind that when these pieces are polished to a high shine that any future scratches are going to be more apparent & usually the same pieces will be more susceptible to scratching. Something as simple as using a microfiber towel to wipe typical road dust off of the trim would show the most subtle fine scratching.

I normally will use a paint sealant or wheel wax after polishing aluminum just for added protection and of course the oh so important piece of mind.

Explicit Shine
08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
My guess is is plastic as you stated as my moms impala has the same trim you are speaking off.
Try a cleaner was such as D151 or even poli seal but i don't think you will have luck with a metal polish.
But one thing is sure as the coating on these plastic pieces is VERY thin and once you have gone to far that is it.
But go light then work up from there.

Personally i have had a lot of luck with M205 by hand with a foam applicator being gentle. You may not be able to remove all the scratches and swirls out of the trim but you will be able to reduce it and definitely brighten it up.

Shade Tree
08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
My guess is is plastic as you stated as my moms impala has the same trim you are speaking off.
Try a cleaner was such as D151 or even poli seal but i don't think you will have luck with a metal polish.
But one thing is sure as the coating on these plastic pieces is VERY thin and once you have gone to far that is it.
But go light then work up from there.

Personally i have had a lot of luck with M205 by hand with a foam applicator being gentle. You may not be able to remove all the scratches and swirls out of the trim but you will be able to reduce it and definitely brighten it up.

I've worked with some of the newer Nissans and the trim isn't plastic .......

Explicit Shine
08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
I cant see nissan using metal as a window trim. maybe a picture will better dictate the process that should be taken

jkk7479
08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
I will work on a picture this weekend. All I know is, that the applicator became black, so that might be an indication that it is metal. Either way, I just don't want the swirls that are taking my insanity! I usually try to hit this part with paint sealant, but this was before I was using smart washing techniques! It is a 2010, so it's fairly new.

DARK HORSE
08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
I will work on a picture this weekend. All I know is, that the applicator became black, so that might be an indication that it is metal. Either way, I just don't want the swirls that are taking my insanity! I usually try to hit this part with paint sealant, but this was before I was using smart washing techniques! It is a 2010, so it's fairly new.

:dblthumb2:

Explicit Shine
08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
I can't see nissan using metal as a window trim on there maxima. If it was metal the one you worked on i bet it had some sort of aftermarket metal window trim package.

A picture may best dictate the best route to go to repair the damage trim.

jkk7479
08-31-2010, 12:41 PM
I can't see nissan using metal as a window trim on there maxima. If it was metal the one you worked on i bet it had some sort of aftermarket metal window trim package.

A picture may best dictate the best route to go to repair the damage trim.

It's my Maxima dude and no aftermarket window trim was added to it. All Maxima's appear to have this chrome accent. I will have a pic up this weekend.

Mike Phillips
08-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Most chrome trim on new cars is plastic chrome, be sure whatever you decide to use to test first in an inconspicuous area and check the results...

Sometimes, when it comes to trim, it's faster to replace it, not always easier...

:)

Explicit Shine
08-31-2010, 12:54 PM
I wasn't implying your maxima had metal trim. I was referring to the one shade tree said is metal that he has worked on.

jkk7479
08-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Most chrome trim on new cars is plastic chrome, be sure whatever you decide to use to test first in an inconspicuous area and check the results...

Sometimes, when it comes to trim, it's faster to replace it, not always easier...

:)

Mike, Could I ask your opinion on the best approach on how to care for this trim? Do you think the Meguiar's chrome polish is a good idea?

Didn't mean to take it that way Shine, but the previous poster didn't mention Maxima, he said Nissan, so I thought you were specifically talking to me.

RaskyR1
08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
If the OP polished the trim piece and it turned the applicator black it's an uncoated metal, likely aluminum. My car has the same metal trim around the windows.

http://media.dealerskins.com/carspecs2002/Photos/JatoColor400/NISSAN/MAXIMA%20SV/2010/4SAGAD.jpg