PDA

View Full Version : HELP..I got Hoodwinked..the roof on my 99 Integra is dead flat..

hudson1gua
08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I need some help here. I bought a used 99' Acura Integra, white. All looked OK but after I ran it through a touchless car wash, when I arrived to my apt. I noticed the paint on the roof no longer glittered and shined...It looks straight-up flat white..the clear coat still seems to be there?

I know my way around some light buffing and polishing, but this?? I have Mezerna IP, SIP, PF, PC 7424 and Wht, Grn, Blk, Orng. pads..anything else I can get during the week so I can take care of that poor thing when the weekend comes..

Please help me with a recipe..

Thxz in advance

Mike Phillips
08-30-2010, 08:47 PM
This car is 11 years old...

Where has it spent most of it's life in a garage or outside?
Where has this car spent most of its life geographically?

The horizontal panels on a car will suffer clear coat failure first and usually if it's happening on one horizontal panel it's happening on all horizontal panels.

So troubleshooting would say that this might not be clear coat failure although your description of how it looks sounds like clear coat failure.

If it's just oxidation then any light to medium polish should remove the topical dead pant to reveal fresh, clear paint. If it's clear coat failure you cannot fix it.

Do a "Test Spot" to just one small section and then apply some wax and then watch to see what happens to that section for about a week.

If the results look good and last through exposure to the outdoors and washing then you can safe the entire hood.

If the results look good initially but don't hold up over time, that's clear coat failure.

If the results don't look good immediately after you polish and wax a section and it doesn't look good or at least good enough to make polishing the rest of the roof worth your time and expense, then you'll be glad you didn't buff out the entire roof and the paint has clear coat failure.

Let us know what you find out from your testing...
:)

hudson1gua
08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Thank you Mike,

The car has been outside here in Louisiana. However I can't say if it has been an exterior car..the rest of the paint looks good, a little worn, but the clear is still there..
Will follow to the letter and let you know what happens.

DH