PDA

View Full Version : Found some things out using XMT today

ryandamartini
11-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Well I noticed some swirls appearing so I decided to polish my trunk lid using xmt3 on an orange.

Just some notes I made while using it:

Dont OVERUSE it! The polish breaks down rather nicely / quickly. I did eac 2x2" section on speed 5 with medium pressure and moved slowly and then proceeded to final pass on speed 3. Buffed off and not only was it a mirror finish, but swirls were GONE.

I just thought Id post this note for all the newer people coming around lately interested in Pinnacle XMT.

-Ryan

Whitethunder46
11-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Well I noticed some swirls appearing so I decided to polish my trunk lid using xmt3 on an orange.

Just some notes I made while using it:

Dont OVERUSE it! The polish breaks down rather nicely / quickly. I did eac 2x2" section on speed 5 with medium pressure and moved slowly and then proceeded to final pass on speed 3. Buffed off and not only was it a mirror finish, but swirls were GONE.

I just thought Id post this note for all the newer people coming around lately interested in Pinnacle XMT.

-Ryan

If you were doing your whole car, would you of used XMT 1 after that or did you think it was LSP ready?

ryandamartini
11-19-2006, 09:26 PM
If you were doing your whole car, would you of used XMT 1 after that or did you think it was LSP ready?

If I was using a yellow and could see marring, then yes I would. But with XMT on the orange just going slow, it left a marr free surface.

Surfer
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
You start off high then go to a lower speed? Don't think I've seen that before, I always spread on sped 2-3, work in speed 5, then final pass or two speed 6.

ryandamartini
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
You start off high then go to a lower speed? Don't think I've seen that before, I always spread on sped 2-3, work in speed 5, then final pass or two speed 6.

sorry, I do usually spread at 1, then go to 5 then 3. According to what I have learned from a new members, the only thing doing a final pass on speed 6 does it make dust.

Surfer
11-19-2006, 11:10 PM
sorry, I do usually spread at 1, then go to 5 then 3. According to what I have learned from a new members, the only thing doing a final pass on speed 6 does it make dust.Guess I'm just used to Optimums stuff, no dusting and long working time so I always give it a final polishing/compound at speed 6.

ryandamartini
11-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Guess I'm just used to Optimums stuff, no dusting and long working time so I always give it a final polishing/compound at speed 6.

whatever works :) Just thought Id share my experiences.

FloridaNative
11-20-2006, 04:01 PM
I agree about the XMT3. If you are not doing a black car and you use the orange pad the XMT 3 finishes LSP ready. I love this polish! The whole XMT line is fantastic!

Meghan
11-20-2006, 04:30 PM
XMT Rocks!!!

ScottB
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I personally start at 3 .... amp the machine up to 6 and run it till the polish flashes. If it dries to soon or starts to dust, I just prep the pad with a little distilled water or pad conditioner. PC needs full speed with most polishes to break down properly.

bambo2888
01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
so which is the proper way with xmt?

sparkie
01-04-2007, 01:31 AM
so which is the proper way with xmt?
You just got to play with it to see what works for you. I don't see any wrong way. I do mine about like Surfer!

MikeyC
01-04-2007, 08:26 AM
I've been using XMT for several months now and they are solid polishes. I just use speed 5 the whole time, but for my first pass with the buffer I use a much faster arm speed to spread the polish before the abrasives start to break down.

Nica
01-04-2007, 09:59 AM
I too have used XMT #3 and one pass and it's good for wax. At first I was thinking ot my self I'm doing something wrong becuase it can't possible be this easy so I would then go over it with XMT #1 but it wasen't really required. I agree XMT is good products and a little goes a long way. I spread it at speed 3 and then polish with some presure at speed 5 and that has given me great results. However, sometimes when I wipe the area I get marks of product left over and if I rub it it goes away...is this normal. I'll try to take a picture of this next time I run into it. But just thought I'd ask.

scootertrash
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
FloridaNative
what's the deal with if your not doing Black? I have a Black Avalanche that I was going to tackel this week end