PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to go freakin nuts (Wolfgang Related)

jkk7479
08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post at Autogeek and I am looking for some help! I plan on doing a complete detail using Wolfgang products because I am totally addicted to the Paint Sealant 3.0. I don’t have much experience with detailing, but I am ready to give it solid try. I have a Meguiars V110 and plenty of Lake Country Pads. My arsenal consists of Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and Fuzion Wax. I am looking for a dripping wet look to my 2010 Nissan Maxima. Here is my plan to achieve this, but need some suggestions from the experts!

Wash – DP Rinseless Wash
Clay – Wolfgang Clay Bar
Polish – Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 – Don’t have much experience with a DA, but I know to work the polish until it is almost dry and be sure to work small sections.
Polish – Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
Polish – Wolfgang Polish Enhancer – This is the step I am confused about. I want to get some oils on the paint to really bring out that wetness! Is this a necessary step, or should I use Klasse AIO?
Wax – Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Wax- Fuzion

I really want the best shine possible after removing the swirls and scratches! Anyone have any additional advice, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post at Autogeek

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Polish – Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 – Don’t have much experience with a DA, but I know to work the polish until it is almost dry and be sure to work small sections.

You don't want to work to a dry buff, watch this video, it shows and explains what a "Section Pass" is and this is what you want to do with both the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.

Here's how to do a "Section Pass" when trying to remove swirls, scratches and other below surface paint defects.

How to do a Section Pass
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4]YouTube - How to do a "Section Pass" with a Porter Cable 7424XP[/video]

Visit Autogeek's YouTube Channel for more YouTube Videos (http://www.youtube.com/autogeek)

Polish – Wolfgang Polish Enhancer – This is the step I am confused about. I want to get some oils on the paint to really bring out that wetness! Is this a necessary step, or should I use Klasse AIO?

The Klasse AIO won't work like a pure polish and the Wolfgang Polish Enhancer won't add anything you won't have already created with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze contains some type of polishing oils that will increase clarity and richness of color.

After the Finishing Glaze you apply your wax or paint sealant, the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and the Fuzion will then maximize the results you created with the machine polishing steps .

Then stand back and admire the results...

Mike Phillips
08-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Here's some more articles you might want to check out...

This how-to article is long but covers in detail everything you want to do.. definitely worth the read through and watch the videos...

The Definitive How-To Article for Removing Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots Using a Porter Cable 7424XP, G110v2 or Griot's Garage Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html) - Includes Videos

See comments number 2 and 3 in the below thread about the material in the above thread... and a good laugh...

What not to do when detailing a car! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28226-what-not-do-when-detailing-car.html)

A few more...

Tips and Tricks for using detailing clay (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20259-tips-techniques-using-detailing-clay.html)

How to clean your foam pad on the fly (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html)

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19956-final-wipe.html)

These and more can be found by clicking on my "articles" list in my Signature Line

:)

jkk7479
08-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Wow....Mike Phillips responded to my post! I'm honored Mike! I have watched all of your videos and they are top notch! You are truly a detailing legend!

I know not to do a dry buff, but I thought I needed to work it a long time until it is almost dry. I did watch your videos and remember you did about 4-6 passes. I already did my test spot with the swirl remover and finishing glaze and saw ok results. Perhaps I didn't work the Glaze as well as I should! What speed do you recommend to work the Finishing Glaze because it's not doing much swirl removal? Is 5 a good setting, and after 4 passes, bring the pressure up to show off that shine?

One last question, would a pure polish benefit after the Finishing Glaze, or am I just doing more work than I should?

Thanks again!

Buckskincolt
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I know not to do a dry buff, but I thought I needed to work it a long time until it is almost dry.
I think you are confusing working it until it's almost clear with almost dry. You don't want it drying out but work it until it almost disappears. lighten up for you last couple passes.

I already did my test spot with the swirl remover and finishing glaze and saw ok results. What pad combo did you use and what results didn't you get that you wanted....A picture of your test spot would help here.

Perhaps I didn't work the Glaze as well as I should! What speed do you recommend to work the Finishing Glaze because it's not doing much swirl removal? Is 5 a good setting, and after 4 passes, bring the pressure up to show off that shine? You should have the swirls removed by the time you go to the FG, again what pads are you using? I use a #4 setting on the Griots with a White CCS or Tangerine HT pad for the FG.

One last question, would a pure polish benefit after the Finishing Glaze, or am I just doing more work than I should?

Some would say to get that last little bit you can gain some, but as a beginner I doubt you would see much difference and if it's an everyday driver it's most likely unneeded. You should have awesome results using the TSR and FG combo. I'm sure Mike will chime in but it will help to know what you are not satisfied with and what polish & pad combo's you are using....As well as a picture or two.

Hope this helps ~~:buffing:

jkk7479
08-30-2010, 10:50 AM
. I'm sure Mike will chime in but it will help to know what you are not satisfied with and what polish & pad combo's you are using....As well as a picture or two.

Hope this helps ~~:buffing:

Thanks Bro. I was using the Lake Country Orange light cutting pad with the Total Swirl Remover and then a White Lake Country Pad for the Finishing Glaze. I can't do a picture right now, but maybe I can get one up. It might also have been my technique. I know the Nissan has "hard" paint as I tried several less aggressive products first.

I wouldn't say I wasn't satisfied. I removed most of the swirls from the hood, but was expecting to see more of a wet look after the Finishing Glaze. Perhaps I didn't work that product in long enough?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Bro. I was using the Lake Country Orange light cutting pad with the Total Swirl Remover and then a White Lake Country Pad for the Finishing Glaze. I can't do a picture right now, but maybe I can get one up. It might also have been my technique. I know the Nissan has "hard" paint as I tried several less aggressive products first.

I wouldn't say I wasn't satisfied. I removed most of the swirls from the hood, but was expecting to see more of a wet look after the Finishing Glaze. Perhaps I didn't work that product in long enough?
What color is your Maxima?

jkk7479
08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
What color is your Maxima?

It's exact name is Dark Slate. It's a dark Grey color.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-30-2010, 01:53 PM
It's exact name is Dark Slate. It's a dark Grey color.
I'm assuming it's metallic grey? With metallic paint, you can get that deep, wet look, but it's easier to achieve with non-metallic paint(black, blue, red, yellow, white, etc..). Fuzion should really make the metallic pop in your paint and give it a glossy look. More importantly, correct polishing before the wax is what really makes the paint what it is.

Stype4life
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Wow....Mike Phillips responded to my post! I'm honored Mike! I have watched all of your videos and they are top notch! You are truly a detailing legend!

I know not to do a dry buff, but I thought I needed to work it a long time until it is almost dry. I did watch your videos and remember you did about 4-6 passes. I already did my test spot with the swirl remover and finishing glaze and saw ok results. Perhaps I didn't work the Glaze as well as I should! What speed do you recommend to work the Finishing Glaze because it's not doing much swirl removal? Is 5 a good setting, and after 4 passes, bring the pressure up to show off that shine?

Thanks again!
lol Mikes a cool dude right?:dblthumb2: