PDA

View Full Version : question:

guess23959
08-29-2010, 06:36 PM
ok so i was at a carshow today, and i saw my buddy there with his triple black '71 riviera. and we were talking about detailing and he says that he has never washed the car for as long as he owned it. all he does is use a leaf blower, use detail spray, and glaze. i mean is this for real, no washing your car? and this thing is just tooooooo cool, its a multi show winner (13+) and you can just fall right into the paint if you dont watch your step. can anyone confirm if this is real, keeping up with a classic like this? cause i mean when i had my '77 grand prix it was a multi show winner (5) and the paint was just flawless and i washed it. i dont get it................. :-/

novaman
08-29-2010, 06:45 PM
ok so i was at a carshow today, and i saw my buddy there with his triple black '71 riviera. and we were talking about detailing and he says that he has never washed the car for as long as he owned it. all he does is use a leaf blower, use detail spray, and glaze. i mean is this for real, no washing your car? and this thing is just tooooooo cool, its a multi show winner (13+) and you can just fall right into the paint if you dont watch your step. can anyone confirm if this is real, keeping up with a classic like this? cause i mean when i had my '77 grand prix it was a multi show winner (5) and the paint was just flawless and i washed it. i dont get it................. :-/I haven't washed my 72 Nova in 5 years. I just use Zanio's Z6 detailer to remove light dust and that's it. However, I can get away doing this because my Nova never gets very dirty, only dusty. I never, ever take it out unless I know for sure that it's not going to rain. So the key to it is not to use the car very much. On my daily driver, I of course get caught it the rain and I have to hand wash. However, again, if it's just dusty I use the detailer, only. Your buddy with the Riv probably doesn't drive it much and makes sure he doesn't get caught driving it in the rain.

novaman

daveinsweethome
08-29-2010, 09:07 PM
had a nice show truck for years. got it flawless and just used detail spray and occasional glaze. got on street trucks cover. a garage queen if i ever had one.

guess23959
08-30-2010, 07:31 AM
i just dont get how one couldnt wash a car. i mean white walls gotta get dirty from the brake dust, bird ####, sap, tar, all that god forbid stuff.

Mike Phillips
08-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Sure it's possible, especially if the car is a garage queen or you don't live where it rains a lot or at least don't drive the car in the rain.

I saw a HUGE difference in how much people wash their cars in Oregon and how much they wash their cars in Southern California when I moved from Oregon to California...

Driving in the rain really gets your car dirty, it's not the rain, it's the water off the highway sprayed onto your car by the tires on the cars in front of you when you drive, it's an oily, dirty film we generically call road grime.

It's oily because enough cars leak motor oil transmission fluid and other fluids onto the road as they drive and then when it rains this soup of oily substances, dirt and water is sprayed onto your car...

Cut out the rain factor and you car doesn't get near as dirty as fast as someone that drives in the rain as a way of life.

Also with classic cars, owners don't usually want to wash their cars because washing means getting water into all the nooks and crannies of a car where it can accelerate rust corrosion.

:)

guess23959
08-30-2010, 08:02 AM
hmmm that makes sense. but i mean a leaf blower to blow off rain if your caught in it, thats gotta be an accident waiting to happen.

Dubbin1
08-30-2010, 11:28 PM
This hasn't been washed in over 5 years. Just use good MF towels and spray detailers and all "should" be fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/Camaro/PICT5166.jpg

guess23959
08-31-2010, 07:26 AM
this is black though. though indeed ya that looks nice, black is the hardest of the hard to get absolutely perfect, and win trophy after trophy without taking out the hose and scrubbing road crap off the car that just wont come off with detailer spray and a towel.

Cliffnopus
08-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Nice Camaro Dwayne.

Cliff