PDA

View Full Version : When does detailing become restoration?

hudson1gua
08-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Can someone help in giving me advise as to when a detailing job stops and actually turns into a restoration job. How to advise the customer of this, billing rates and justifying them. At times I feel customers take advantage of the term "Detailing" and expect way too much work under its terminology and average price frame, am I right or wrong?

Any tips appreciated.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-28-2010, 08:12 PM
That is why I charge by the hour.

ROMEO
08-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, I don't do detailing for a living, but I'm a contractor, and what I do, is that I always estimate based on worse case scenario (and some tomes I add a 20% ti that), and then some, just to cover my self just in case, it is better to surprise the customer with a smaller bill at the end of the job, than trying to explain why I went over... Also, I tent to avoid those customer that are way too picky about the price...

hudson1gua
08-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I guess my main issue is how to balance out time with quality..nyone know about steam wash&wax?

ROMEO
08-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm sure there are a few short cuts out there, but in my opinion, short cuts always sacrifice quality...

Do you think you could be getting more business out this person? Any chance you could get referrals out of him/her?

In any business there is always that one job that you will ether not make as much as you were thinking, heck, there will be those that you ether break even or even lose some, but at the end, it all works out good.

If it was me, I would do the job covering all of the steps needed, and make sure that the customer knows what it took in other to get it done.

Just my 2 cents...

hudson1gua
08-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Thankz..guess I will go to the drawing board again....

XB70
08-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Detailing is not restoration.

Detailing is taking the existing car to its maximum potential.

Restoration is fixing or replacing what is worn out and broken to bring the car up to what is was the day it left the factory.

Any detailer who entertains the thought he is restoring a car with a DA, polish, wax and a wet vac has a unhinged Ego.:buffing:

BobbyG
08-29-2010, 05:44 AM
There's not even a fine line between detailing and restoration, they're worlds apart.

With detailing you're working with what's in front of you and the only tools you'll be using are buffer / polishers and chemicals. Now sometimes you might do a "little" wet sanding but the for the most part, no.

Restoration is in the realm of painting, bodywork, part replacing etc.

Your charge is based on the time and materials you'll think you'll need for a specific job. If the customer becomes pushy hold your ground and if need be, shoot him a very high price, this usually makes them back off a bit. Don't get yourself in a situation that you can't handle....You are the boss..

A4 1.8tqm
08-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Can someone help in giving me advise as to when a detailing job stops and actually turns into a restoration job. How to advise the customer of this, billing rates and justifying them. At times I feel customers take advantage of the term "Detailing" and expect way too much work under its terminology and average price frame, am I right or wrong?

Any tips appreciated.

Regardless of the definition of "restoration", what your looking for is help with explaining to a potential customer the various stages/process' etc. and how to help the customer justify the cost of correction work, correct? I mean polishing out swirls is "restoring" the paint to a swirl-free finish, but whatever... semantics.

One thing you could do is get a body panel from a junk yard, one that has in-tact paint but with a ton of swirls. Polish out one third of it to perfection, polish the center third with a one step (not removing too much of the swirls), and leave the last third unpolished with no wax (even clay half of this section if you'd like). Let the customer see the differences and explain about the difficulty/time/skill involved. Or just do a 50/50 of Perfection vs untouched to simplify things.

If you offer detail packages like 1-step, 2-step, full-correction, or whatever you offer. Explain that the heavy correction step is an arduous process requiring patience and precision to be done "properly", and then you have to do the whole car again to refine the finish. Then go over the car again for final polish... then pre-wax cleaner, sealant, wax... Not to mention the prepwork before polishing. From start to finish you go over every inch of paint several times with multiple "high-end" professional products. Even show them the arsenal if need be. When they truly understand the amount of work and the level of dedication you have it should be easier to sell. Just be sure that your truthful and genuine about it all.

Of course you don't want to say, "Oh that's easy" or "I can do that no problem" if the job might be over your head. Nothing is worse than worrying about how your going to live up to the quote you gave. Although, I've never had a "customer" detailing wise, so take my advice as you will.

Also tell them about the http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html and how they give the vehicle a quick once over with a rotary then apply a glaze (explain about a true-glaze being a temp. filler to hide light swirls/holograms) and how the vehicle will look in a couple weeks after going to a "hack".

Hope I provided some helpful insight to the question. :xyxthumbs:

Shade Tree
08-29-2010, 08:21 AM

Any tips appreciated.

My rule of thumb is this ........

NEVER let the customer dictate to you what he/she thinks the detail should consist of and what the job should cost. YOU are the professional performing the work and they sought you out because of that. If they want this service, but not that one then your detail job should be based upon an hourly rate.

ALWAYS look at the vehicle before quoting a price.

If the vehicle looks to be in need of more than the general detail you provide then explain this to the customer. Explain that you are willing to perform the detail/restoration, however because of the condition of the vehicle you would incorporate an hourly rate. An hourly rate that you base your normal detailing prices upon.

Many times customers will have a budget & knowing how much time the reconditioning process may require will put things into perspective for them. The customer will become more appreciative to the work you perform and you will feel satisfied with time invested and the subsequent price you quoted.

Everyone's happy.

S2K
08-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Well, I don't do detailing for a living, but I'm a contractor, and what I do, is that I always estimate based on worse case scenario (and some tomes I add a 20% ti that), and then some, just to cover my self just in case, it is better to surprise the customer with a smaller bill at the end of the job, than trying to explain why I went over... Also, I tent to avoid those customer that are way too picky about the price...

:iagree:
When I worked in a repair shop I would always bump up my estimates for the CYA factor because you never know what you might run into, and when you give them the bill and it's lower than you quoted they are always happy.