PDA

View Full Version : Question about Klasse SG application

touringsedan
08-27-2010, 10:07 AM
I am going to try Klasse sg soon and I am wondering about how to apply/remove. There seem to be conflicting reports of how long to leave on paint before removing/ how long in between coats you should wait. SO :

1. Should the SG be left on while you wait 8-12 hours ?
2. How long should you wait for optimal results ( can vehicle be driven during this time) I would think driving would make it harder to remove SG from the hood and front end due to engine heat?
3. How many layers would be necessary?

Mike Phillips
08-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Here's the directions from the Klasse Application Guide,

Thoroughly wash and dry your vehicle. Remember to work in the shade.

If you feel any rough spots on your vehicle, you may use a clay bar to remove any surface contaminants that survived the washing process. It’s an optional step, but worth the extra time.

Lightly dampen a terry cloth or a microfiber applicator pad. Pour a nickel-sized amount of Klasse All In One on the pad and apply to one area in long, overlapping strokes. Use light pressure, but not enough to tire your arm.

Use a clean microfiber detailing towel to wipe off product, even if you can’t see residue. Complete one section before moving on to the next.

Your vehicle will be clean, polished and protected for 4 to 8 months.

Tip: To dampen your applicator pad, try using a spray wax such as Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz. The lubricants in the spray will make application even easier.

Tip: It takes very little Klasse All-In-One to polish your entire car. One nickel-sized drop will cover at least half, if not your entire hood, depending on how large your vehicle is. There should be little, if any, residue left on the area after you’ve applied Klasse. If you can see it, you’ve applied too much. Spread the excess until you can’t see residue. If you try to buff an area that is still wet, it will streak.

My recommendation would be... IF you have never used this product, before applying to the entire car, apply to about a square foot area on the trunk and then after it hazes wipe it off and get a real good feel for how it works specific to your skill level and your climatic conditions.

:)

Mike Phillips
08-27-2010, 10:38 AM
1. Should the SG be left on while you wait 8-12 hours ?

No, allow to dry to a haze or around 30 minutes according to the Application Guide and then remove.

2. How long should you wait for optimal results ( can vehicle be driven during this time) I would think driving would make it harder to remove SG from the hood and front end due to engine heat?

Don't leave it on your car's paint for longer than the above recommendations...

3. How many layers would be necessary?

1 or 2 as long as you're doing a great job of applying a thin, uniform coating.

Again, test to one small area and get a feel for this product before going over the entire car.

touringsedan
08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks Mike for the answers.

I have used AIO and love it but I have never used the SG. I have heard it is a great product and good for winterizing the car so I figured I would give it a try.

Mike Phillips
08-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks Mike for the answers.

I have used AIO and love it but I have never used the SG. I have heard it is a great product and good for winterizing the car so I figured I would give it a try.

Same company but very distinctly different types of products.

AIO is a cleaner/sealant
SG is a non-cleaning sealant

They are referred to as the Klasse Twins because many people use the AIO like a paint cleaner to first clean the surface so they can then use the SG since the SG should only be applied to a finish in excellent condition.

Silverstone
08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I use it a lot now for two years and I've seen it take 8 hours to dry in humid weather (it's almost always humid around here). Before that it doesn't come off without streaks, and after waiting too long, as mentioned above, it won't come off either. It's a bit tricky and needs experimentation/experience IMO, but well worth it. I find that it doesn't really shine until the third coat, but more than 4 is overkill. Removal is much easier if you spray just a little QD on the towel. Not wet, just very slightly damp.

Top the third coat with WGDGPS and stand back! :props:

Silverstone
08-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Oh if you drive the car it's going to pick up dirt and then you'll scratch the paint taking the SG off.