PDA

View Full Version : Tar , Tar and more TARTAR ! :)

kdude
08-27-2010, 06:49 AM
I drove through a sea of Tar last week. Its everywhere including all over the sides of my paint along the doors.

I went to Walmart and bought some Turtles tar and bird crap remover. I put it on and let it soak for a good 20 mins and the results ...... TURTLE STUFF IS KA KA ! Did nothing unless i used my hand like a rotary and even then it didn't work to well, smearing without lifting etc.. ....

Is there any secret to removing tar from a painted surface without have to kill your hands ?

Thanks,
Howard

BillE
08-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Howard,

There will probably be other people chiming in, but I've use either kerosene or diesel fuel to remove tar, road junk etc. It may not be the best for the finish, but (for me) it works. If you are sensitive (skin wise) you can use nitrile cloves.

Just remember this stuff is flammable!

Bill

jlb85
08-27-2010, 08:40 AM
^ +1, but use rubber gloves ;)

Any strong solvent will work, even gasoline. But it is so flammable that the risk is high you can get hurt. Meguiar's has a product called Body Solvent, works great for this stuff.

mikep288
08-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Wd40 works great for this too! Just be aware that most of the recommendations you will get will leave the paint unprotected until you clean the area and reapply your LSP (be it a wax or sealant).

Osok
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I use 3M adhesive remover..but yes..it does take off the wax on that spot so be sure to reseal.

precision touch
08-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I have used oil flow 141 in the past. Works great for this. Washes off with soap and water. Wax afterwards. We used it on a corvette that had road tar all over it. It came off within less than an hour. Look under oil flow 141 in search engine. Good Luck.
Chris

kdude
08-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks Amigo's.... I should have thought of the alternatives... My fingers are still in a state of arthritic flux from rubbing:) !

Howard

Rsurfer
08-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Howard,

There will probably be other people chiming in, but I've use either kerosene or diesel fuel to remove tar, road junk etc. It may not be the best for the finish, but (for me) it works. If you are sensitive (skin wise) you can use nitrile cloves.

BillKerosene works great at removing tar. Just do a wash after.

Shane731
08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar (http://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html)

This stuff is the bomb for removing tar. Got some off my car that had been on it for probably a couple years. No match for Tarminator!

kdude
08-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar (http://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html)

This stuff is the bomb for removing tar. Got some off my car that had been on it for probably a couple years. No match for Tarminator!

Hi SL, looks like this is the product i'm going to use and keep in stock. Thanks for the tip.
Howard

BobbyG
08-28-2010, 05:49 AM
Howard,

Bill

:iagree: That's all there is to it and a gallon of the stuff is about $3.00....

Mike Phillips
08-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Update?

Have you removed all of the tar yet?

:)

kdude
08-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi Mike thanks for asking! After breaking all my fingers I finally got 99% off.

If you have any thoughts or ideas on how to tackle tar pls let me know!

Regards,
Howard