PDA

View Full Version : What not to do when detailing a car!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Maxima Mom
08-27-2010, 06:34 AM
What not to do when detailing a car! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28226-what-not-do-when-detailing-car.html)

Last night we broke out all our new AG stuff and began to work on the Maxima. Since we are newbies, we really have no ability to give advice... however, we did learn some important facts to pass on to other newbies and even some of you expert detailers. Feel free to post your pearls of wisdom here. As you will see, our detailing pearls involve humor and not real advice!

#1 Do not detail in the nice, clean, hot garage at night when a fridge full of cold beer is next to the car. Remove the beer and replace it with bottled water!!! I feel sick this morning! Nuff said!!:(

#2 Re-read the Mike Phillips articles with your detailing partner before starting so you don't argue the whole time about who is right about the proper technique! Oh, and by the way, I was right! But then again, I am always right! Isn't that true gentlemen? :joking:

#3 When detailing with your partner, don't be the person who lifts the polisher off the car before turning it off!!!! Luckily, it wasn't me! I used to wonder why Mike repeats himself ad nauseum about turning the DA off before lifting it from the car! I only need to hear that advice once or twice. But, the hubby made that fatal mistake early on and we are still cleaning up the mess!:doh:

CEE DOG
08-27-2010, 06:39 AM
That was an entertaining read. Thank you :xyxthumbs:

For #3 Thats the last time he will make the mistake of lifting the polisher with product on it before stopping the motor! Same thing happened to me my first time! Luckily I was outside so the damage wasn't quite as bad.

BobbyG
08-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Well, I see you're practicing and building knowledge!! :laughing:

Good post though, we need a chuckle early, it starts the day off on the right note...:props:

kdude
08-27-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm glad you re-postet that message.. i'm soo noobie i'm waiting on a pc to be delivered next week. Can't wait to try it out...

Maxima Mom
08-27-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm glad you re-postet that message.. i'm soo noobie i'm waiting on a pc to be delivered next week. Can't wait to try it out...

It was thrilling to see the difference in the paint after polishing with the swirl remover. You will have a blast!

DARK HORSE
08-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Great post, thanks for sharing! I must admit that I too am guilty of #1 and #3 as well :nomore:

mchess1
08-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Maxima Mom & Dad - Glad to hear that you have gone from asking questions to buying products to testing them out.

You did take LOTS of pictures, right??

Maxima Mom
08-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Ok its Maxima Dad....in defense of #3...refer to #1.....however I will be introducing a new line of "swirl-designed" t-shirts....hmmm "wolfgang wear" splatter inspired clothing designs...

now for tip #4.....when detailing the car in the garage AT NIGHT, with the newly installed shop lights, coupled with #1 previously mentioned....make sure to CLOSE the garage door....this prevents the moths and bugs from flying into the DA polisher pad resulting in aformentioned #3......

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Fun post... glad to hear you shared some "bonding moments" with your new stash!

Mike Phillips
08-27-2010, 07:51 AM
#1 Do not detail in the nice, clean, hot garage at night when a fridge full of cold beer is next to the car. Remove the beer and replace it with bottled water!!! I feel sick this morning! Nuff said!!:(

That's funny... :laughing:

#2 Re-read the Mike Phillips articles with your detailing partner before starting so you don't argue the whole time about who is right about the proper technique! Oh, and by the way, I was right! But then again, I am always right! Isn't that true gentlemen?

Yep... the ladies are always right...

#3 When detailing with your partner, don't be the person who lifts the polisher off the car before turning it off!!!! Luckily, it wasn't me! I used to wonder why Mike repeats himself ad nauseum about turning the DA off before lifting it from the car! I only need to hear that advice once or twice.

But, the hubby made that fatal mistake early on and we are still cleaning up the mess!:doh:

Yeah... been there done that, well actually said that at hundreds of classes only to watch people make the mistake even though I repeated the admonition to not lift the polisher off the paint till after turning the polisher off and allowing the pad to stop spinning...

Here's the good news...
After you make this mistake one time... and then put the polisher down and start wiping off all the tiny little splatter dots off everything in about a 6' to 7' radius of the buffing pad self cleaning at high speed... you tend to not make that mistake again...

Wiping little dots of splatter off windows, wipers, mirrors, and anything else in the path of travel is never any fun...

Thanks for sharing... I'm confident others will read this and take it to heart and you'll have helped others to be successful in their garage...

:bowdown: :bowdown:

trhland
08-27-2010, 08:03 AM
that was funny!!!!:xyxthumbs:

Pristine Image
08-27-2010, 08:04 AM
now for tip #4.....when detailing the car in the garage AT NIGHT, with the newly installed shop lights, coupled with #1 previously mentioned....make sure to CLOSE the garage door....this prevents the moths and bugs from flying into the DA polisher pad resulting in aformentioned #3......

That's hilarious!

Mike Phillips
08-27-2010, 08:12 AM
For #3 Thats the last time he will make the mistake of lifting the polisher with product on it before stopping the motor! Same thing happened to me my first time! Luckily I was outside so the damage wasn't quite as bad.

This is a real common mistake when a person is first starting out...

About the only time it's hard to really recover from it is on older cars that have grills in the hood in front of the windshield that you can't access to wipe the spatter out of...

This is what I'm talking about, these grills for fresh air intake...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/GrillsThatCantBeWiped01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/GrillsThatCantBeWiped02.jpg

And I tape them off before buffing out the car...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/836/redelcamino_015.jpg

When I detail muscle cars or just about any car from 1970's and older I always look down inside the area under the grill to see if there's splatter and there usually is... then I take a picture of it and point it out to the owner who is usually oblivious to it so I don't get the blame and of course, tape it off.

Other than grills like above... for splatter anywhere else... a little wiping here and there and you're back to work...

:xyxthumbs:

Buckskincolt
08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Great thread, funny and entertaining (Yes I'm guilty of #1 & #3 as well)....Still make the #1 mistake every now and then....BUT!
:postpics:

glenn14
08-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Last night we broke out all our new AG stuff and began to work on the Maxima. Since we are newbies, we really have no ability to give advice... however, we did learn some important facts to pass on to other newbies and even some of you expert detailers. Feel free to post your pearls of wisdom here. As you will see, our detailing pearls involve humor and not real advice!

#2 Re-read the Mike Phillips articles with your detailing partner before starting so you don't argue the whole time about who is right about the proper technique! Oh, and by the way, I was right! But then again, I am always right! Isn't that true gentlemen? :joking:

#3 When detailing with your partner, don't be the person who lifts the polisher off the car before turning it off!!!! Luckily, it wasn't me! I used to wonder why Mike repeats himself ad nauseum about turning the DA off before lifting it from the car! I only need to hear that advice once or twice. But, the hubby made that fatal mistake early on and we are still cleaning up the mess!:doh:
Great and funny post.. made my Friday haha :xyxthumbs: I have my beer after my detail job.
But I have sometimes during lol.....