PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper Swirls on Pillar?

Ladyvalea
08-26-2010, 05:52 PM
OK...are the Pillars on a 2009 Mini Cooper S, Plastic or some kind of plexi? What do I use to get the swirls out? I mean can I use the swirl remover for car paint on the soft pillars? or do I use stuff for plastic car lens restore?
I don't want to scratch it up more with the wrong product!! here are some pics.. Thanks
http://i33.tinypic.com/ja836p.jpg

Old Tiger
08-26-2010, 06:14 PM
IMO I would try a good plastic polish. WG, Griots or Diamondite make them.

Impressions
08-26-2010, 06:18 PM
M205 has always worked for me

jakonrad
08-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I have a 2010 Cooper S and any kind of light swirl remover will work (I use Prima Swirl currently). It's a super soft plastic and the imperfections are real easy to get out but they come back easily too.

fusion
08-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I have a 2003 Mini, I use the same polish that I use on the paint. I was using Poorboy's SSR1 on them, which is a light polish.

Ladyvalea
08-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I have not purchase a D/A polisher yet, can these swirls be removed by hand?

jakonrad
08-27-2010, 02:41 PM
They can be removed by hand but you'll most likely get a better result with a machine. Like I said earlier, they're very soft so you might want to try a finishing polish and then some sort of glaze to mask any imperfections that might be left over.

On a side note: weren't you at MITM a few weeks ago? If you were I wish I would have known about this, there were a few detailers there (including me) that had our DA's with us.

Hope this helps.

Ladyvalea
08-27-2010, 02:48 PM
They can be removed by hand but you'll most likely get a better result with a machine. Like I said earlier, they're very soft so you might want to try a finishing polish and then some sort of glaze to mask any imperfections that might be left over.

On a side note: weren't you at MITM a few weeks ago? If you were I wish I would have known about this, there were a few detailers there (including me) that had our DA's with us.

Hope this helps.

Yes, Yes, I was a MITM!!! I purchased a couple towels some Prima Slick? got a sample of Prewow!! Which booth are you? did you detail the red devil cabrio? for the car show? I love her mini!!! Darn, I wish I would have known!! I could use all the advice on that darn pillar and swirls and general paint care!! I had a blast at MITM and MTTS!!

jakonrad
08-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Richard was the one who did most of the details out there, he had the booth right next to/combined with the Prima booth. I'm the President of MINI5280 so I was helping run the event. I hope you come out again next year, we can get you up to speed on everything you need.

fusion
08-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes, Yes, I was a MITM!!! I purchased a couple towels some Prima Slick? got a sample of Prewow!! Which booth are you? did you detail the red devil cabrio? for the car show? I love her mini!!! Darn, I wish I would have known!! I could use all the advice on that darn pillar and swirls and general paint care!! I had a blast at MITM and MTTS!!

Yeah I second on the hand polishing it gonna be tough and hard on your arms. Hmm from the Mini forums, a lot of Mini owners have polishers, you can try hitting 1 of them up for a quick borrow. It should really only take a couple of minutes per pillar.

Bonifax
08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
If you want to remove those swirls completely and rapidly you should use Menz Final Polish or SSR1 with a PC (white LC pad or yellow Megs pad).