PDA

View Full Version : orange pad for wax?

Pages : [1] 2

20ls01
08-24-2010, 11:49 PM
i ordered a pc kit from ag and requested a black pad as an alternative to the tutorial and they forgot to give me it. will it be okay if i use the orange pad to apply the pinnacle glaze and mequiars nxt wax?

i hand glazed and waxed my hood and i can honestly say, i never want to hand paint detail anything after using a pc7424.

kb2ehj
08-24-2010, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't. Orange is a cutting pad and intended for paint correction.

You want a black/red/blue for LSP application.

20ls01
08-24-2010, 11:54 PM
i dont have any other than 3 oranges and can't wait another week for redelivery. how about that white one that came with the Porter cable?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Just go to autozone, pepboys, or advanced auto parts and pick up a foam wax applicator and wipe the wax on by hand and be done with it.

tuscarora dave
08-24-2010, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't recommend it as the orange pad is a light cutting pad and could haze the finish on your paint. You could pick up a microfiber bonnet from your local Auto Zone and stretch it over the orange pad to apply your wax with.

20ls01
08-25-2010, 12:18 AM
oh yeah good idea......but will ONE microfiber bonnet wax an entire car? i used a plain microfiber to wax and it looked beat after the hood was done.

tuscarora dave
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
If the car is clean it will work fine. I would suggest working the wax in at a low speed setting.

20ls01
08-25-2010, 12:36 AM
alright, thanks. i think i'lll just do that then.......hope AG will send me what i had originally requested....

CEE DOG
08-25-2010, 07:07 AM
.......hope AG will send me what i had originally requested....

call them

kb2ehj
08-25-2010, 07:57 AM
i dont have any other than 3 oranges and can't wait another week for redelivery. how about that white one that came with the Porter cable?

I think most people throw that thing away.

kb2ehj
08-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Just go to autozone, pepboys, or advanced auto parts and pick up a foam wax applicator and wipe the wax on by hand and be done with it.
:iagree:

It won't take that long to do.

As long as you do it correctly, very very light application, application and removal should be easy. Some were here on the site, I think either Mike P. or another member had pictures of what was 'correct' and what was to much.

BobbyG
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Here's what Lake Country recommends.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/AutogeekLCBuffingPadComparisonChart.jpg

Mike Phillips
08-25-2010, 09:07 AM
i hand glazed and waxed my hood and i can honestly say, i never want to hand paint detail anything after using a pc7424.

I agree...

Applying anything including a wax using a Porter Cable 7424XP does a much better job than working by hand. Machine application of wax applies equal pressure over the entire face of the foam buffing pad, the oscillating and rotating action is consistent from the time you turn the machine on till the time you turn the machine off...

Any process I can do by machine I do by machine...

You're going to love your new polisher... as to the white polishing pad that came with the tool, it's akin to normal polishing pad and you can use it to apply medium to light swirl removers, cleaner/waxes, and waxes and sealants.

If your finish is in excellent condition then it's preferred to use a softer finishing pad just because of the idea of always working forward in your process.

Most people use it with a bonnet to remove wax but it is akin to a polishing pad.

:dblthumb2:

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-25-2010, 09:16 AM
:iagree:

It won't take that long to do.

As long as you do it correctly, very very light application, application and removal should be easy. Some were here on the site, I think either Mike P. or another member had pictures of what was 'correct' and what was to much.

No it won't take long at all. I hand apply all my lsp's. You will not have any problems doing it that way, most hand apply their lsp's anyway.

sal329
08-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I agree with Dana go to an auto parts store or Walmart and get a foam applicator pad to apply the wax. Walmart sells the AG Hand pad that fits nicely in your hand.