PDA

View Full Version : Help with my leather!

scjshaylen
08-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I detailed my interior the other day(Sunday). I have APC+, diluted 12:1. Cleaned the leather with that and one area in my backseat now has faded/spotted. See the pic. It was worse when it was wet. Can this be fixed? What do I need to do at this point?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-24-2010, 03:00 PM
It did that diluted 12:1, wow! I'm very surprised!

Subscribing...

kronos
08-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I detailed my interior the other day(Sunday). I have APC+, diluted 12:1. Cleaned the leather with that and one area in my backseat now has faded/spotted. See the pic. It was worse when it was wet. Can this be fixed? What do I need to do at this point?

What you got there? A 525?

Try using a dedicated leather cleaner, hopefully that will remove the stain.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Try using a dedicated leather cleaner, hopefully that will remove the stain.
I think he's saying the APC+ caused the stain, not couldn't get it out. If that's what you thought?

scjshaylen
08-24-2010, 04:18 PM
It's a 99' 528i.

Correct, I used the APC+ to clean it, then Chemical Guys Leather conditioner after that. I did all my leather and just that one area is an issue.

Bert31
08-24-2010, 04:18 PM
It did that diluted 12:1, wow! I'm very surprised!

Subscribing...

Same here, I would have never guessed diluted APC+ would do that, especially if the leather is coated like most leather is. I wonder if the stain has been there but washing it made if more evident???? Yeah I know, I am grasping for answers but I just don't see how diluted APC+ could do that. If all else fails, I wonder if the Rejuvenating Oil from Leatherique on the leather in the hot sun for an afternoon would "loosen" the stain to be cleaned up by their Prestine Clean would do the trick??

scjshaylen
08-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Is there anyway that I took the color off? Forgive my ignorance, but I was thinking worst case scenerio and that it's not just a stain.
I have Chemical Guys leather cleaner, but the APC+ worked alot better, maybe too good. :(

WRAPT C5Z06
08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Is there anyway that I took the color off? Forgive my ignorance, but I was thinking worst case scenerio and that it's not just a stain.
I have Chemical Guys leather cleaner, but the APC+ worked alot better, maybe too good.
I always use a dedicated leather cleaner when cleaning both coated and non-coated leather. Did you use CG leather cleaner un-diluted in the past? That stuff is strong, but still supposed to be ph-balanced. If you took the color off in that spot with APC, I don't see why it wouldn't have removed color elsewhere? I'm not really sure, just saying. However, I'm still baffled at 12:1 how it could possibly remove color?

Impressions
08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
is it just a stain or is it a "wear" spot?

the reason I asked is you said it was worse when wet and most leather that has excessively worn spots will darken till they dry

I see it is a rear seat.....possibly a baby seat rubbed the leather??

A4 1.8tqm
08-24-2010, 05:47 PM
To me it looks like the leather is worn to the point that the color is worn off, not a surface stain.

IME, Megs APC+ even diluted 8:1-10:1 is pretty strong for leather. Maybe it is different on new, unworn leather, but it absolutely removes color from the surface, like on old Jaguar leather for one example. I am actually surprised every time I see megs APC+ recommended for leather, even though it worked for me in a desperate situation, I really feel it is not a good product for leather.

rakkvet
08-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Just a possibility worth mentioning; but, could it have been a spot that had been dyed as a repair and the APC lifted the dye out?

Tim

scjshaylen
08-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I've used CG leather cleaner undiluted in the past with no issues. The APC+ cleaned the leather much better, but maybe at the expense of the leather itself. :( I've has the car 4 yrs and when I first got the car I had a booster seat in there then. If the color is worn off, is there anyway to fix it?

Old Tiger
08-24-2010, 06:10 PM
I've used CG leather cleaner undiluted in the past with no issues. The APC+ cleaned the leather much better, but maybe at the expense of the leather itself. :( I've has the car 4 yrs and when I first got the car I had a booster seat in there then. If the color is worn off, is there anyway to fix it?
There are furniture and auto leather specialty firms who can dye it and get amazing results. I would google for someone in your area.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
I've used CG leather cleaner undiluted in the past with no issues. The APC+ cleaned the leather much better,
Even at 12:1 it cleaned the leather better than CG cleaner? Whoa! I never really like APC+, generally speaking. I like optimum power clean much better!

kronos
08-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Hopefully it's an easy fix. I recommend Leatherique's Pristine Clean 32 oz. Leatherique Leather Cleaner Prestine clean (http://www.autogeek.net/32ozbottle1.html). IMO, it is awesome stuff.