PDA

View Full Version : Paintwork cleaners.

Pages : [1] 2

yeebiz
08-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Do products like Black Hole, KAIO, and ZAIO make good paintwork cleansers or is there better alternatives? Will these strip off waxes and sealants?

Anyone ever had any direct negative effects of using dawn to strip off waxes and sealants?

Will a ipa wipedown strip waxes and sealants?

CEE DOG
08-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Do products like Black Hole, KAIO, and ZAIO make good paintwork cleansers or is there better alternatives? Will these strip off waxes and sealants?

Yes, their are better alternatives to use as paint cleaners... paint cleaners

Anyone ever had any direct negative effects of using dawn to strip off waxes and sealants?

No, and the dawn isn't going to hurt the paint. However it's probably not good for things like plastic or rubber trim and seals.

Will a ipa wipedown strip waxes and sealants?

Yes

yeebiz
08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. So it's a good idea to use a cleanser before blackhole?

dawn>clay>cleanser>blackhole>sealant/wax?
or
dawn>cleanser>clay>blackhole>sealant/wax?
or
Is the cleanser just not necessary with this setup?

sportscarhiatus
08-23-2010, 10:10 AM
PB Blackhole is not a paint cleanser. It's a glaze... it temporarily fills in light swirls to "hide" them. Paint cleanser's smooth out the paint... I personally find no need for them because my paint is always smooth (clayed regularly) and washed/QD'd often. If I need to strip an LSP, I would use an IPA wipedown. I cringe at the thought of using Dawn. But that's just me. I find it very rare that I need to strip an LSP. I let it wear on it's own then re-apply.

yeebiz
08-23-2010, 10:18 AM
PB Blackhole is not a paint cleanser. It's a glaze... it temporarily fills in light swirls to "hide" them. Paint cleanser's smooth out the paint... I personally find no need for them because my paint is always smooth (clayed regularly) and washed/QD'd often. If I need to strip an LSP, I would use an IPA wipedown. I cringe at the thought of using Dawn. But that's just me. I find it very rare that I need to strip an LSP. I let it wear on it's own then re-apply.

"In addition to disguising blemishes, Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze for Dark Vehicles cleans the paint. Swirls can be more noticeable when they’re filled with grime, so this special formula lifts out dirt and then fills in swirls with glaze. In just one quick step, your vehicle will be swirl-free and incredibly glossy!"

This is part of the product description This is why I asked.
My personal paint is beautiful. Trying to dial in the best possible process for others that wont get a full correction.

yeebiz
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM
When I look at the descriptions for many glazes, paintwork cleansers, fine polishes and aio products, they all claim to accomplish the cleaning part. Just want to know the truth behind the claims. Want to get the best possible results with the least amount of steps for two cars I'm doing this weekend.

Dawn or standard wash
Clay
Blackhole or Kaio or Zaio
845 or FK1000p or UPGP or DP Poli-coat

Want to use a lsp that lasts.

Mike Phillips
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Any light paint cleaner or polish will remove anything off the surface, i.e. any wax or paint sealant...

When it comes to removing swirls, then you'll need a product that can actually abrade the paint in a controlled and careful manner.

:)

yeebiz
08-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Would love to be able to do a full correction on all cars that I touch. Unfortunately this isn't always possible. For cars that I can't do a full correction on I would like to fill the best I can without adding issues with lsp bonding. I have had success with KAIO or ZAIO topped with 845 or UPGP. I do wonder about bonding issues with UPGP over an AIO though. I have to see how long they last. Wanted to try blackhole to see if it has better filling than the aio products and if it plays nice with lsps (especially UPGP). I have no issues experimenting on my own car but when it comes to others peoples cars I like to know what the outcome will be. Still way too new to detailing to have experimented enough to see what works consistently. It is a blast discovering though!

slimnib
08-23-2010, 11:24 AM
When I look at the descriptions for many glazes, paintwork cleansers, fine polishes and aio products, they all claim to accomplish the cleaning part. Just want to know the truth behind the claims. Want to get the best possible results with the least amount of steps for two cars I'm doing this weekend.

Dawn or standard wash
Clay
Blackhole or Kaio or Zaio
845 or FK1000p or UPGP or DP Poli-coat

Want to use a lsp that lasts.

Nothing lasts as long as Zanio Bros stuff. However, like all synthetics, you will get a somewhat plastic looking finish.

ScottB
08-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Best Paintwork Lotions:
Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion
P21S GEPC
Dodo Juice

CEE DOG
08-23-2010, 05:39 PM
I love Ultima PPP for use before UPGP.
SONAX Paint Cleaner, sonax prewax cleaner, sonax car polish, sonax cleaner polish (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-paint-cleaner.html) worked very nicely for me.
I haven't tried the Wolfgang I have in stock yet.

Buckskincolt
08-23-2010, 05:39 PM
For single application light correction and a protection you might take a look at the XMT 360 XMT 360 corrects, cleans, and seals auto paint! XMT 360 is more than a cleaner wax, its a swirl remover, polish, and paint sealant in one. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html) IMOH it does a really nice job and you can apply any other LSP over it you like.

agstacker
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Best Paintwork Lotions:
Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion
P21S GEPC
Dodo Juice

Can you apply p21s GEPC with a porter cable 7424xp or by hand only? Also do you still need to clay the car, if you plan on using paintwork cleaner lotion like p21 GEPC, or does one take the place for the other? Thanks!

ToySupra727
08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
For single application light correction and a protection you might take a look at the XMT 360 XMT 360 corrects, cleans, and seals auto paint! XMT 360 is more than a cleaner wax, its a swirl remover, polish, and paint sealant in one. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html) IMOH it does a really nice job and you can apply any other LSP over it you like.

:iagree:
I use this in all my wash N wax jobs. Every customer has been pleased with the results!

Bert31
08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. So it's a good idea to use a cleanser before blackhole?

dawn>clay>cleanser>blackhole>sealant/wax?
or
dawn>cleanser>clay>blackhole>sealant/wax?
or
Is the cleanser just not necessary with this setup?

Someone mentioned this before but I will bring it up again. If you are pressed for time and cannot do multi steps, a good polish/LSP combo product will be right up you alley. Someone mentioned XMT 360. If you need more polishing power I bet Meg 151 would correct a little more. If the paint is in pretty good condition, Optimum PoliSeal. If go that route, here would be your order:

Wash -> Clay -> Polish/LSP Combo.

You don't have to use Dawn, any quality wash is fine but if you want to use Dawn that should be OK also.