PDA

View Full Version : Curing Time

Pages : [1] 2

cummins03
04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
I detail other people's vehicle and I need a wax that doesn't take 12 hours to cure. Any suggestions please. I currently use Wolfgand paint sealant and Pinnacle on my own and Mcguiars on everybody else, but I'm not really pleased with it. After seeing my vehicles and then looking at theirs it leaves something to be desired.

Neothin
04-11-2006, 10:14 PM
try using a carnauba. Natty's Blue is cheap and leaves a very wet finish!

BritOn2wheels
04-12-2006, 07:06 AM
try using a carnauba. Natty's Blue is cheap and leaves a very wet finish!

I totally agree with Neothin, there's nothing like carnuba to put a great shine on your paint. My personal favorite is P21S Concours Carnauba Wax (available from Autogeek). I don't know what it is about this wax - maybe it's the combination of carnuba plus beeswax, but it's SO EASY to apply and remove.

Sure Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax is the one to beat as far as top-dog is concerned, and the one I turn to when I'm detailing over the weekend, but for ease of use and great results with little effort try the P21S, you won't be dissapointed. ;)

Meghan
04-12-2006, 07:39 AM
How about you just put the WG sealant on the clients cars. WG by itself gives off a great shine!:D Easy as can be to work with.

Neothin
04-12-2006, 09:33 AM
whats the cure time on WG though?

ScottB
04-12-2006, 01:43 PM
most sealants need several hours to one day to fully cure, that doesnt mean that two quick coats cannot be done back to back it just takes on a slightly different appearance when done. And of course you can do just one coat and thats more than acceptable with no cure time needed before returning the car, just ask them to keep it out of the rain for 24 hours to get the best durability and look from the sealant.

As for detailing for $$, I would suggest a carnuba for two points. One it usually only lasts for 6-8 weeks (thus more $$) and it usually looks better to the owner. They associate wetnesses and clean paint with "just waxed" or "detailed" and most dont understand the difference between sealant and wax anyways.

cummins03
04-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I would use the WG sealant, but I can't be sure that the customer will keep it dry. Where I live the dew is pretty heavy as many other places are. On the P21s does it require any curing time? I'm not doing it as a full time job, just friends, people from work, and family.

snomon1017
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Does putting a carnuba on top of a sealant extend the life of the sealant. Ex. Souveran on top of Klasse AI1 and SG (best combo ever!)? I know the souveran will be gone in weeks but what of the Klasse, say if you're waxing weekly?

ScottB
04-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Does putting a carnuba on top of a sealant extend the life of the sealant. Ex. Souveran on top of Klasse AI1 and SG (best combo ever!)? I know the souveran will be gone in weeks but what of the Klasse, say if you're waxing weekly?

not really extends the life of the sealant, but does NOT seem to harm it with the Klasse twins specifically. Just adds alot of wetness and depth.

JeffW
04-15-2006, 10:02 AM
not really extends the life of the sealant, but does seem to harm it with the Klasse twins specifically. Just adds alot of wetness and depth.

Do you mean DOESN'T seem to harm it? Hope that's what you mean.

Anyway, gots 5 or 6 layers of UPP on my daily driver (just finishing let it cure) and want to add Natty's Blue or P21S on multiple layers.

How long would you suggest letting the WAX cure before adding more layers ?(the 1st I'll do back-to-back anyway to assure entire coverage)

ScottB
04-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Do you mean DOESN'T seem to harm it? Hope that's what you mean.

Repaired above :D

Anyway, gots 5 or 6 layers of UPP on my daily driver (just finishing let it cure) and want to add Natty's Blue or P21S on multiple layers.

How long would you suggest letting the WAX cure before adding more layers ?(the 1st I'll do back-to-back anyway to assure entire coverage)

There is a point of diminishing returns in waxing and sealing. Based on my personal assessment it appears to be 2-3 layers. Carnaubas dont really need alot of curing time as they transfer the oils and other protection almost immediately. Again more than one level of carnauba will probably do not better than the first and might be considered wasted product. The real benefit in two layers of carnauba is to make sure you didnt miss a spot (even coverage)

JeffW
04-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Repaired above :D

There is a point of diminishing returns in waxing and sealing. Based on my personal assessment it appears to be 2-3 layers. Carnaubas dont really need alot of curing time as they transfer the oils and other protection almost immediately. Again more than one level of carnauba will probably do not better than the first and might be considered wasted product. The real benefit in two layers of carnauba is to make sure you didnt miss a spot (even coverage)

:eek: To think of all the wasted wax on my wife's Liberty !!! Thanks!

Kelso
04-15-2006, 08:03 PM
ok this is a dumb question buti mainly use carnaubas so i never looked into curing time. ive never seen curing defined so somebody clear up the fuzziness. what is curing? do you just have to wait before applying another coat? can you drive around between coats if you keep the car clean? or do you have to leave the dried product on the vehicle in the shade or whatever for like 12 hours befor eyou remove it?

ScottB
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
ok this is a dumb question buti mainly use carnaubas so i never looked into curing time. ive never seen curing defined so somebody clear up the fuzziness. what is curing? do you just have to wait before applying another coat? can you drive around between coats if you keep the car clean? or do you have to leave the dried product on the vehicle in the shade or whatever for like 12 hours befor eyou remove it?

curing is essentially the process of a sealant drying completely. The polymers and molecules crosslink, and well seal to the paint and each other. You can do numerous things to speed the process (using sun and heat) but mostly want to keep it away from water. Remember you have already wiped off the excess and a small unseen sacrifical layer is there to protect clearcoat, this is what is still crosslinking.

You can almost see if change, the gloss seems deeper and the reflective nature gets brighter. I suppose you could drive around but dont wash or QD for 12 hours for best effect. Some sealant manufacturers (Z, Duragloss) offer a catalyst that speeds the curing process so that multiple coats can be done in succession. I have always wondered how well these curing agents would work with other sealants :confused:

Kelso
04-15-2006, 10:14 PM
yea i know zaino has the flash cure or whatever... i doubt it would work well with others becomes it seems like zaino works best with zaino and thats about it. never used it but thats the feeling i get from their site and people on other forums