PDA

View Full Version : WGDPP Oxidized

LegacyGT
08-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I was doing a test on my hood, I did a full correction, then half I applied WGDPP sealant then Pinnacle Souveran, the other half I applied only Souveran.

Fast forward 3 weeks, many rain storms and 1,600 + miles of driving and I noticed a very distinct line in the hood dividing the halves that I had taped off. The side I applied WGDPP then Souveran is fogged up as if it oxidized, the other half is just fine. This haze remained on the hood after I gave it a full wash, and came off after I did an IPA wipe down. You can also see where I used my finger to try wiping some of it away.

Anyway, I wiped the hood down with IPA, then did a new coat of WGDPP only.

I wanted to figure out what is going on, the only hint I can offer is that I did not give the WGDPP much of any cure time; after I removed it I then applied Souveran to the entire hood.

http://billmorton.smugmug.com/Cars/Detailing/IMG0292/978661703_n2vAW-L.jpg

Rsurfer
08-22-2010, 04:15 PM
"I wanted to figure out what is going on, the only hint I can offer is that I did not give the WGDPP much of any cure time; after I removed it I then applied Souveran to the entire hood."

That sounds like what your problem is. Let it cure for at least 12 hours.

cwpcasey
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
during the cure process do you leave it on there for 12 hours or wait 12 hours to apply another coat?

LegacyGT
08-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I believe the 12 hour cure time is after removal. Correct me if I am wrong, but 30-45min is appropriate for drying time before it is removed.

Rsurfer
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I believe the 12 hour cure time is after removal. Correct me if I am wrong, but 30-45min is appropriate for drying time before it is removed.Yes, after removeal. Some will wait 20-45 mins, but I just do the whole car and then remove, which is close to the 20 mins.